Author Topic: useless crapface  (Read 1983 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
useless crapface
« on: December 14, 2004, 04:43:07 PM »
my sister-in-law bought some DVDs off ebay.

Rather I bought them for her, with her handing over money.

only the dvds are total crap. the picture is fuzzy at best. It is blocky in many places. There is no menu. The old video tapes she has are actually of better quality in all regards.

The shmuck is offering me half the money back if they DVDs are returned. That guy is a (warning, bad language here) dick (/bad language).

Bad feedback is worthless. Not only will it earn me bad feedback in response, but he a) has comments hidden, so no one will ever see why I think he's a big sack of crap. Plus he's had many more auctions, so one bad feedback for me hurts a lot more than one for him

I am very pissed.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: useless crapface
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 04:20:21 AM »
Complain to ebay that he is selling pirated dvds. Except of course that that is very hard to do with any effectiveness unless you are the copyright holder of the material being pirated.

I had no idea you could hide comments on ebay. When did that start? o.O
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 08:59:52 AM »
I don't know when it started, but you can do it. You can't hide your score, but you can hide the comments.

I'm trying a number of complaint procedures, including the Better Business Bureau.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:02:49 AM »
lesson learned from this?  "Never buy from a e-bay member who hides his comments".  'Course to some people that's just common sence.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 09:22:50 AM »
he's not a new user. He's got something like 300 sales, and most (over 99%) were positive. That's my point. I have somewhere around a half dozen purchases. A negative comment trade will hurt me much more than him.

Now that I have the hindsight, seeing the comments would have let me know if the positives were just "yeah, got my stuff" and if the negatives had solid complaints, but I counted on positive feedback to say I would get at least what I wanted.

So, no, I wasn't being a retard, Sprig.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 09:25:02 AM »
Never called you one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 09:31:56 AM »
I'm not sure how else to take the "for some of us that's common sense" line. Really, I think that was insulting. But partially it just proves another point: that you don't know what other people are thinking.

I've heard complaints from at least three different users in the last 24 or so hours now about other users being deliberately inflamatory. I don't think ANY of those users were being deliberately inflamatory. A little more patience should be exercised on the boards people.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to pick a fight with Sprig here, I'm just pointing out that I thought his comment about common sense was a little insensitive and/or poorly considered. It doesn't need to escalate from here. I'm not upset, I'm not angry. And now I'm just using this to prove a point:

Sprig didn't mean to insult me. So, why should I be insulted? I point out that it was insensitive for future reference, but I'm not bothered by it.

Jeffe didn't mean to insult Ookla. And since Ookla hasn't said anything about being offended by the recent set of posts, I think it out of line for anyone to be offended for him.

and since it hasn't been a public complaint, I won't reveal the other two complaints I've heard recently. But both those complaintants should realize that their situations are no different from the above two situations. I'm not aware of anyone on the boards trying to deliberately anger anyone else. If you're insulted by it, the best thing to do is drop it and stop thinking about it entirely.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »
I had a thought... you could report him to the studios that own the rights of the DVDs as a movie pirate.... or the MPAA. That'd fix him.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:40:24 PM »
So, I don't know a lot about Ebay...but could you just create another account, then give him bad feedback off of that one?

It really seems silly that you have to be afraid to give someone negative feedback, lest they hit you with the same.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 01:35:13 AM »
you cannot leave feedback unless you've bought or sold to someone.  And yep, that's the probalem with their feedback system, that if you leave someone a negitave they'll uselay do it to you as well.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 09:15:01 AM »
I could, however, give him negative feedback and then start using another account to do my purchasing. I don't have much investment in my current account, with only a half-dozen purchases or so.