Author Topic: Sky High  (Read 4877 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Sky High
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 02:47:00 AM »
Well, I submitted a review. Do with it what you will.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »
I ran it

The low production values for sets and effects didn't bother me at all. But I can't argue that they are definitely low, and most people will see it.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »
I saw this on Saturday and just loved it. It's VERY cheesy, and is basically exactly what you expect it to be. It's uncomplicated, funny, has lots of little subtle jokes. You really have to go into it wanting some light-hearted, campy humor; if you can do that, you'll enjoy it.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 09:02:56 AM »
We very well could see a TV series of this or another movie since it's allready made back what it cost accordeing to Boxofficemojo.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 11:32:36 AM »
According to something I read somewhere, possibly on imdb, the kids in the movie had a potential TV series written into their original contracts. One can only hope that it will be cool, but given the nature of most Disney channel shows I highly doubt it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »
I'd hope for an ABC primetime and not Disney Channel.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 09:48:54 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 03:38:03 AM »
According to something I read somewhere, possibly on imdb, the kids in the movie had a potential TV series written into their original contracts. One can only hope that it will be cool, but given the nature of most Disney channel shows I highly doubt it.

What are you talking about? Obviously you have never watched Kim Possible or Even Stevens or Lizzie McGuire. All three of which were very clever shows. I watched them over many things (mostly lame reality shows, which was the prime time competition). I've yet to see a Kim Possible episode that does not make me laugh, Louis Stevens was one of my all-time favorite TV characters, and I will never be able to hate Hilary Duff because she was so good as Lizzie McGuire. Unfortunately, these great shows are only reruns now, and the shows Disney has on currently--Raven and The Suite Life and Phil of the Future--are abysmally stupid. But they had that really great year.

Who knows. Maybe they are due for another good one.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 09:05:20 AM »
I don't think fell said there WERE no good ones, just that MOST were not.

Should we make a list? (Even if I concede even stevens (which I won't (nested parenthetical remarks are fun) becuase I despised it) I'll add in PB&J Otter and Recess. Over against that we have Weekenders, Book of Pooh, the three you mentioned, some one about an alien girl, The one about the alien teenager (i'm noticing a trend here) and most every other show I've seen on Disney. THey *can* make decent ones, they just usually *don't*.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 09:21:11 AM »
Dave the Barbarian is fun too, though I think that one was canceled back when Kim Possible was.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 11:24:54 AM »
You forgot to close one set of parentheses.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »
Some old man english grad you are.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 11:39:59 AM »
Some old man english grad you are.

I don't have an English degree. so you're right. I'm a pretty pathetic English grad.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 01:28:30 PM »

What are you talking about? Obviously you have never watched Kim Possible or Even Stevens or Lizzie McGuire. All three of which were very clever shows. I watched them over many things (mostly lame reality shows, which was the prime time competition). I've yet to see a Kim Possible episode that does not make me laugh, Louis Stevens was one of my all-time favorite TV characters, and I will never be able to hate Hilary Duff because she was so good as Lizzie McGuire. Unfortunately, these great shows are only reruns now, and the shows Disney has on currently--Raven and The Suite Life and Phil of the Future--are abysmally stupid. But they had that really great year.

Who knows. Maybe they are due for another good one.

I have to disagree with you on one point and that is Phil of the Future. It is a show that has very clever humor, similar to Lizzy McGuire, but a little wacky because of the potential they have with future gadgets. If you don't think it's funny, you haven't given it a chance. When I watch it, I find myself laughing through the whole thing. It is really quite funny and I don't need to worry about language or adult themes or anything. It is a great show.

I agree with you about Kim Possible and Lizzy McGuire (although I though Even Stevens was just okay). They are really fun shows and although I understand that Hilary Duff wanted to do other things and not only be thought of as Lizzie McGuire, I wish she had decided to move her show to ABC and continue doing it. Oh, well. All good things must come to an end.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 01:51:15 PM »
Kim Possible can be entertaining, I admit, but it doesn't stand out among the rest of the superhero shows on TV--given the choice I'd watch Batman or even the new TMNT (which isn't very good) before Kim Possible. Maybe it's that pesky Y chromosome of mine.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 12:15:17 AM »
I actually don't mind the new TMNT, though I'm comparing it to the old Acrhie version so it's not like I'm judging it against very hight standards.