Author Topic: What won't you eat?  (Read 15768 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: What won't you eat?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 02:05:57 PM »
but thinking about melted butter makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.

Thanks, Sigyn. Exactly what I'm looking for--not just a distaste for food but a totally psychological loathing! ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 02:06:30 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
I'm that way with beans, Sprig. Love chili. Hate the way beans feel in my mouth.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
For me, it's mushrooms. Not a food aversion at all. I just plain don't like the texture of the nasty little things! The flavor is fine. But they're just so squishy and stuff. blech.

But that's not a psych. thing like hating cheerios because I ate a moth that flew into my bowl when I wasn't looking... *shudder*
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »
I don't feel nausea, just...asco. It's a Mexican word that I don't know a good translation for, but pretty much just means "sick of." I can only take a few bites of anything sweet before I just can't stand to take any more.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 03:22:37 PM »
"asco," huh. That's an intersting Mexican word I haven't heard. Anyway, no sugary stuff for Fell! Luckily for you, though, it's not a full-blown food aversion! ;)
--Spriggan

hamletfan

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Party over here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 11:16:32 PM »
This is probably TMI but....oh well.

I, too, hate mushrooms because one time when I was little I ate a mushroom I found growing in our yard.

When my mom found out, she called Poison Control and they told her to give me a "medicine" called Ipecac to make me puke it up.  Gross!  (Even the name Ipecac....doesn't that sound like gross!)  I even had to stay home from the ward dinner because I was sick".  

Eww...so, ever since then....I hate mushrooms and I won't eat them.  

I feel closer to you all....now that I have shared this with all you complete strangers.  LOL

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 11:44:28 PM »
Cool. Thanks, all.

Fuzzy, was your sis's medicine mixed *in* the applesauce? I know someone who hates banana-flavored stuff because she had this medicine for a long time that tasted like bananas.

No, the put the pills in a tablespoon of it usually to help her swallow it. Much like they do at my job in the nursing home, now that I think of it....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 12:07:43 AM »
ah-ha! Well, we've all learned something important here, I think, fuzzy. The medical field has it in for applesauce companies big time. How oh how shall we combat this evil?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 12:08:25 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 12:40:49 AM »
That's the same reason why I won't eat applesauce--memories of little bits of bitter medicine mixed in. Blech.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 01:29:45 AM »
When I was about 3, my mom made blueberry pie. That night, either because I ate too much or just had an upset stomach, I threw up. Blue grossness everywhere. I never ate blueberries again until I was about 25. All the time growing up I was *sure* I was allergic to blueberries, and just the thought of them made me uncomfortable. But I overcame it. I love blueberries now and love to get blueberries cheap in season, freeze them, and use them throughout the year.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 01:30:50 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 02:13:02 PM »
Mmm. Blue grossness! Thanks, stacer. I'd say that a 22-year food aversion counts, though I must say you're among the few who ever get over their food aversions! Impressive.

Okay folks, here's one of the best I've gotten so far by email. This one is from Michelle (i_eat_moose) in Scotland:

"As an EMT in Alaska I had to sit and watch an autopsy (video) during class once.  Having seen plenty of blood in the field I wasn't too concerned.  I was eating a Subway sub which was full of meat and lettuce and about halfway through the video I was getting so grossed out that I couldn't eat any more.  

It wasn't the dead body that was bothering me--it was the way that the doctor kept picking up and jiggling each organ around in her hands.  I'll never understand why on earth she had to sit there with each organ (be it heart or even the trachea) and move it around like it was some kind of jewel being sold to the highest bidder and she had to make it shine!

The body was half dried out so that everything was sticky looking and slimey sounding - just imagine someone eating a slimey thing with their mouth open and you'll get my drift - and I was utterly disgusted!!

This somehow made an impression on my brain and to this day I cannot eat lettuce on bread.  The feeling that is created as my teeth first go through the bread and then through the lettuce makes my hair stand on end and I acctually retch!  And the wiltier the lettuce is the worse my reaction is!!!!!! It must have something to do with that video - either it reminds me of a noise I heard while the doctor was jiggling away or it's just one of those odd association things...

Well, my friend told me I should send you my weird story!  Hope you enjoy.
    --Michelle Therese

On a farm in Scotland avoiding lettuce on bread (I'm marrying a
Scottish farmer.  I'm American.) "
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:16:09 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

The Bot

• Level 6
  • I have a PhD in comedy, & a diploma in..in..Fiona?
    • View Profile
    • Fantastic Fantasy
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 04:32:32 PM »
ah-ha! Well, we've all learned something important here, I think, fuzzy. The medical field has it in for applesauce companies big time. How oh how shall we combat this evil?

I don't think that the medical companies would have much effect on the applesauce industry, as although it puts people off, if they buy it to take the medicine...

I will never [i/]ever[i/] eat prawns. Not only does the texture make me think of rubber, I know what prawns eat! Do not read this next part if you like prawns and don't want this to change.

You know how when seafood, ahem, excretes, the...stuff falls to he sea-bed. Well, prawns live on (and off) the sea-bed. In other words, PRAWNS EAT POOP.

Please excuse me for being so childish!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:33:43 PM by The_Bot »
Frankly, I'm shocked. But, even more frankly, I'm always shocked.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »
*Ahem.* You're excused. Just don't go reading Fast Food Nation though, if you're concerned about what animals are eating... :P 'Course, I in no way trust everything the author (Eric Schlosser) says, BUT, he does bring up some disturbing stuff on this subject.

Okay, so here's another good one. I call it "The Spritely Mouse."

"My best friend's mom was drinking Sprite from a can. She'd finished most of it. And, you know how you sometimes swirl your soda around to figure out how much is left? Well, she did that and remarked how weird that it was still so heavy.

So she got a glass and was pouring out the Sprite when this dead baby mouse popped out, head-first. She saw its little nose poking out and totally freaked out. She won't drink any soda if it's in a can. Never. No way. It has to be in a clear bottle so she can see what's in there. Plus, she won't drink any Sprite at all."  
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 09:21:06 AM »
That's how the MacKenzie brothers get free beer. But I suppose they raise the mouse in the bottle, so it's a little different.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 12:21:39 PM »
haha. Huh, my brothers could've told me that, I'm sure. I admit I've never watched the movie, though...

Now for some more gross-out fun! This time the theme is mayo. I've gotten quite a few stories about mayo aversions. Here's the first one:

"Hi Sarah -- I don't eat mayonnaise.  The reason being is that when I was about 11 or 12, I went to Target with my Mom and sitting at a table in the Target cafe was a man who looked a little "rough" (translation: homeless) and he had a pile of about 40 empty packets sitting in front of him with three by his hand.  One was on its way to his mouth and I watched him squeeze every last drop of mayonnaise from the pack. Turns out the empty pile in front of him had also been full of mayonnaise. Gross!"
--Corey
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:08:33 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan