Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 1265 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
V for Vendetta
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:51:52 AM »
The trailer is out on appl.com, and it looks awesome. On the other hand, I read recently that Alan Moore thought the script was "imbecilic," and got so angry about what they'd done to his story that he actually cut off all ties with DC.

Has anybody else heard anything about this movie? I would really like it to be good, but that's some fairly adamant disapproval from Moore if it's true.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:23:07 PM »
I really haven't heard anything substantial about it.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:16:04 PM »
The trailer looks okay. I'm not sure if I like the overall look. I not sure I like the look of V.

I can see the concerns with how the script wass treated. It deals with political themes, which often get muddled by script writers.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:26:43 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, the quote at the end of the first trailer ('Remember, remember, the fifth of November') is a reference to Guy Falkes night. He was a chap who led the Gunpowder Plot to blow up the House of Lords on it's opening session, thereby taking out the king and most of the countries political and military leaders. Then a bunch of catholic noblemen would, he thought, rush south to restore Britain to the papacy.

He got caught on the 5th of november, tortured and executed. His compatriots mostly got caught as well afaik. Every year on the 5th of November is 'Bonfire night' in Britain. We have bonfires, fireworks and burn effegies of Guy Falkes (or, sometimes, Tony Blair).

Not sure if you guys knew that, it being 400 year old British history, but there you go.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:37:19 PM »
I did, actually, but only because of an MTV cartoon.

It always make me think of that one Daria episode where the personifications of various holidays were wandering around and Guy Falkes Day was mad because no one in America knew who he was.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

hamletfan

• Level 2
  • Party over here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:37:49 AM »
I love Daria.  Funny, funny show.  Too bad it's not on anymore.  Have they released it on DVD?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:03:06 AM »
It's Fawkes (as in Dumbledore's phoenix, see?), and there was some YA or alternate history book I read that talked about it...I can't remember what, now...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:03:56 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!