Author Topic: October TLE  (Read 3050 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
October TLE
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »
Hey, I heard this was being printed, and the website says it's out...did it get mailed? Not that I am subscribing, even though I used to say it should be mandatory for every former editor to subscribe, but I noticed that it has not shown up yet on Locus in the list of magazines received, and it's already the end of November.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: October TLE
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:35:57 AM »
It went to the printer, and there was a font issue on 25 of the pages. The pull quotes all got cut off mid-sentence. Mr. M is working it out with MC Printing.

The ironic thing is that I wrote a plug for NaNoWriMo in my editorial back in October. It'll be so very passe by the time that it finally gets out.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:47:49 AM »
Ahhh...font issues. :)

They are never ending.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:41:19 AM »
Yeah, I hated that! Why can't the server people fix it so we don't keep losing the fonts?? I also got so sick of having to delete some weird folder in the systems folder so that Quirk--er, Quark--would actually work. What a nuisance! grrrr. >:(
I just hope the issue is out by the time I get back in UT to pick up my copy!
Oh, that reminds me, I planned on being a slush puppy a couple more times while I'm in town during December. Are you guys still meeting at 7:30pm on Tue and Thur and then 10:30am on Sat.?  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:41:52 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:22:27 PM »
Everyone should switch to InDesign.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:52:59 PM »
InDesign does have better font management than Quark.

Quark used to be the industry standard (and still is with many companies), but they just haven't kept up with technology.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
Maybe the issue date should be changed to December?

And InDesign is so much better......

Wait, does this mean MC actually does things digitally now? We used to just print out the pages on a laser printer and he'd film them...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:26:56 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 04:55:51 PM »
I love InDesign with all of my body.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 07:59:31 PM »
MC Prinitng has done everything digital for some time. It was only the first couple of issues that I worked on where we printed the issue out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 10:41:11 PM »
I hated printing everything out. It was a pain.

Please, enlighten me, what's InDesign?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 12:31:21 AM »
Adobe's answer to Quark and other like programs.  You can get a 30 day free trial at http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/main.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

hamletfan

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Party over here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 12:58:40 AM »
InDesign is fantastic!  I worked as a graphic designer for three years and when we made the switch to InDesign, it was a happy, happy day.

At my old job, the Adobe people came out and did a presentation right before CS2 came out.  They were actually asking us attending the presentation what our pain points were and how could they make the program easier and more efficient to use.  

Contrast that with when we called Quark tech support one day.  After waiting on hold forever, they basically told us too bad and to deal with it. That's just the way the program is.

Makes you wonder why Quark is losing their market share, huh?  

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »
So is it anything like FrameMaker? I use FrameMaker a lot at work.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 12:23:52 PM »
I have not used FrameMaker, so I'm not sure, but I believe that's a rather older program that I think is updated nowadays mostly for people who have legacy stuff. There's also PageMaker, of course, which was the low end Adobe program back in the day, which (for example) my high school newspaper and yearbook used.

When they decided to develop InDesign, they started from the ground up and built a completely new program. Now that it's on its 5th major version (1, 1.5, 2, CS, CS2), it's in really great shape. We use it for everything here, though we've not gone to CS2. The academic pricing is quite good, for people who can take advantage of that.

Ah, Nessa, I found this: http://dcortesi.home.mindspring.com/ID-FM.htm -- It would appear that FrameMaker still has functionality that InDesign lacks, at least as of CS. This could change in the future, though.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:35 PM »
Hm. I may need to tell my boss about this software...