Author Topic: A celebrity who doesn't go insane  (Read 2821 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: A celebrity who doesn't go insane
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 12:38:36 PM »
Also: how is it your place to decide what people can and cannot publically say? If tom cruise wants to say anti-depressants are bad, then your own constitution protects him. Plus saying that he should not influence people is rather flawed, since he believes in what he is saying and WANTS to influence people.

If people spent less time obsessing over celebrities we would have less of this moronic culture.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 12:49:53 PM »
   There very well may be a simpler explanation than that he was carefully orchestrating this whole deal in a plot to gain publicity. Yes, there are a lot of celebrities who try to hide their relationships from the media. That does not necessitate that that is the only way that celebrities act regarding their important relationships. How many celebrities who have done that have broken up a month or so later? Hiding a relationship does not mean that it is significant, just as having a relationship out in the open does not mean it is any less valuable. Only they really know the significance of it. The fact that he is making it clear to the media that it is happening may mean nothing more than that he is very excited.
But he just happens to tell the world right when they got together and just happens to choose to go to the Eiffel Tower to propose? No

He probably didn't tell the media right when they got together, regardless of whether he made it seem that way. I would be very surprised if that was the way that it actually happened. As for the Eiffel Tower, maybe he just thought it was a romantic spot. Maybe it held some personal significance to him. We don't know.

AS for the other affair, with Brooke Shields, he is wrong, but so is she. He is wrong to tell other people what to do regarding such things, unless he has more knowledge about her situation than he seems to. She is wrong for encouraging everyone to use such medication, since it is not for everyone. Too many people are using mind altering drugs that they don't really need. I am not saying that nobody should use these drugs, but there are many people who use them that shouldn't. It seems as if Brooke Shields is making anti depressants out to be the best route to take to combat such problems, which isn't necessarily true. It should be noted that there are many steps to take before one reaches the point of taking medication. Therefore, she is equally wrong.

Entropy, your last statement is so regrettably true.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 12:50:52 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 12:57:19 PM »
Well, you obviously missed part of what I was saying. Part of it was that I thought it was wrong for Tom Cruise to come out and publicly say how it was wrong for Brooke Shields to take depression medication and that her career was going down the drain because of it (did you even read the article I linked to?).

Yes, I read the article before I posted. It didn't change my opinion, but confirmed it. I stand by what I said.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 12:58:02 PM by Chimera »
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 08:34:09 PM »
Archon, I would be inclined to disagree a little.  I wouldn't say Cruise is wrong for saying Sheilds is wrong, he has the right to his opinion and expressing it.  I would say Sheilds is wrong for saying that meds are a great route for everybody, because they are not.  Period.

There are plenty of private citizens who have exclaimed their excitment and plenty of people who have proposed at the Eiffel tower, I would assume.  Are all of them just doing it for the publicity, too?  Definately not, most of them don't get publicity for it.  Then why, just because a person is famous, does everything they do naturally become a publicity stunt.  Sure, there are people who do everything for a publicity stunt, but shame on you for pretending your know their motivation just because you think you do.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 02:18:09 AM »
   I guess I stated my opinion wrongly. What I meant was that I disagree with him. He is entitled to his opinion, but it really isn't his business. He didn't do anything wrong, it just seems imprudent.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 09:03:58 AM »
wait, that's totally a double standard Gorgon. If it's wrong for Shields to give her opinion like that, then it's wrong for Cruise to do so. If it's not wrong for one, then it's not wrong for the other.

Because absolutes on this issue are way off.

Drugs are QUITE often very helpful. In my own case, for example. I haven't had an episode of depression for many months, whereas I was getting them at least weekly before. However, to say that drugs are always the answer is foolish at best. It would be best to say that drugs are an option worth exploring, but not worth depending on.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 09:26:28 AM »
Frosting in one's own pants is also quite helpful but you don't see the frosting advocates going around telling people how to live do you?  Well do you?  That's what I thought.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 09:43:54 AM »
They do *all the time*
Why do you think allt he politicians have frosting in their pants?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 01:34:32 PM »
wait, that's totally a double standard Gorgon. If it's wrong for Shields to give her opinion like that, then it's wrong for Cruise to do so. If it's not wrong for one, then it's not wrong for the other.

Because absolutes on this issue are way off.

Drugs are QUITE often very helpful. In my own case, for example. I haven't had an episode of depression for many months, whereas I was getting them at least weekly before. However, to say that drugs are always the answer is foolish at best. It would be best to say that drugs are an option worth exploring, but not worth depending on.

I was under the impression from what I read here on the board that Sheilds was saying that drugs are a great option for everybody.  Didn't read the article, probably should have, but didn't.  If that isn't what she was saying, then just ignore what I said about Sheilds.  If that is the basic jist of what she was saying, then she is wrong because the fact is meds are not a good option for everybody, for ANY disease, mental or physical.  It is a case-by-case basis.  And Cruise was right because he was expressing his opinion on her spurting out false propoganda, which is perfectly within his rights.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 01:35:41 PM »
But SE's point is that she is just expressing her opinion too. So if you aren't going to hold Cruise's opinion against him, then you can't hold hers against her.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 02:02:20 PM »
Shields says "Everyone should take anti-depressant medication."
Cruise says "No one should ever take anti-depressant medication."

Why is one of those less wrong than the other?

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 04:03:34 PM »
Quick one
Scientology = Scam
Tom Cruise = Scientologist = Sucker

Apply same logic to that Disco guy

Suckers rarely have anything useful to say
Alles!!!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 04:19:18 PM »
I want a sucker!

*Fish goes in search of a tootsie pop.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 09:32:32 PM »
See, there is the misunderstanding.  I thought it was...

Sheild = everyone should take anti-depressants
Cruise = Sheilds is wrong

not what you just said.  But besides the fact, what Sheilds is saying is unhealthy, those drugs are not good for everyone.  I suppose she has the right to say that, but she is wrong.  While Cruise might be out of line by saying nobody should, I still think that he is within his rights for saying it, and, while he may be wrong, he isn't suggesting something that is physically unhealthy for a mass amount of people and flat out ignorant like Sheilds.

So, I guess while they are both within their rights, I think that Sheilds shouldn't have said what she did, and Cruise probably shouldn't have said what he said either, but the fault is less distinct with what he said.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke