Author Topic: tech writers  (Read 1545 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
tech writers
« on: May 02, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »
So, is anyone interested in possibly being a tech writer for an internet company? Full-time salary, part-time isn't an option.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: tech writers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:59:21 PM »
Sure.  What's the pay? What would the writer be writing?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:06:43 AM »
Yeah, I was going to ask "what does 'tech writer' include?"  What kind of qualifications do they want?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 02:26:33 AM »
I'm interested. I even have some tech writing experience (left over from being an electrical engineering major for three years).

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »
As I understand it, we're looking for a couple writers. They would be involved in writing customer-facing documentation on how to use our hosting products and related features. Naturally you wouldn't be expected to know much about them before-hand, but it would involve learning a lot, quickly.

The job is listed here:
http://ver.hrdpt.com/cgi-bin/c/highlightjob.cgi?jobID=2312
And you can apply online. It's the same listing for both positions, and I know for a fact the "requirements" sound a lot more intimidating that what we're actually looking for. So if you're looking, go ahead and apply anyway.

I'm not terribly sure on the pay range, but it's full-time salary, so I'm sure it's around 30-40K. If any of you get an interview scheduled, let me know so I can put in a good word for you. :)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:17:20 PM »
Sometimes it helps to get the interview in the first place if the resume is submitted by an employee. Does Verio work that way, Tage?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:43:47 PM »

I'm not terribly sure on the pay range, but it's full-time salary, so I'm sure it's around 30-40K. If any of you get an interview scheduled, let me know so I can put in a good word for you. :)

*spit take*

Freaking...  Can you vouch for them though?  What's the company like?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:44:23 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 01:14:16 PM »
Sometimes it helps to get the interview in the first place if the resume is submitted by an employee. Does Verio work that way, Tage?

No, Verio doesn't. Verio is a rather large corporate entity, and for these two positions, your boss won't even be in this office. However, I can pass along any names to the person interviewing, so you can at least get an interview. The only names I've given so far are Megan's and Skar's. I don't know Old One's name.

And what on earth is a "spit take"? I can't tell if you're saying that salary is low or high.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
I believe it's a double take where you're so surprised that you spontaneously spit. And it means that's a big number.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:46:10 PM »
30-40k in Utah, from what I've been talking with old friends who still live there, is pretty large. I'd certainly have no problem living on that. Cost of living is so much lower. Man, if I paid the kind of rent I paid in Utah, or even twice the rent I paid in Utah, I'd have several hundred more a month to play with. (To give you an idea, I paid $175 a month including utilities for my own room when I left Utah in 2001. This had gone up $10 a year, so that means I started out paying $155 when I moved into that apartment. I had a great deal even for Utah.)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 02:28:17 PM »
Actually, with what they are asking for 30-40k is about right. If they are a larger company that works nationwide then it is more likely.

If it were a local company that hadn't expanded outside of UT, then the pay will probalby be less, cause Utah employers have notoriously failed to keep up with the cost of living.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
No, that's what I'm saying--it sounds right, which is odd for Utah.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
Yeah that salary is like twice what BOTH of us are making combined right now.

Heck, can't hurt to apply right? Even if my job now is kinda nice it's still... man...

Referral name... almost wrote Tage.  Good thing I remember your real name...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 11:18:42 PM by fuzzyoctopus »