Author Topic: Cavern of Babel--Kirkus Review Out  (Read 4895 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Cavern of Babel--Kirkus Review Out
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »
So, I've been debating putting this up, and it's taken me a while to get around to it, but since this category's all about shameless promotion at times, I finally decided to go ahead.

First, a little background.  My parents raise alpacas as sort of a hobby.  Yeah, they're those kind of parents.  Their main job is owning and running an international public relations firm in based out of NYC.  Anyway, about a year and a half ago, my mom came up with an idea to promote alpacas: she'd hire someone to write a book with an alpaca in the leading role.  Think Black Beauty, or Bambi, or something like that.

Right.

She came to me with the idea to see what I thought of it.  (For those of you who don't know me, I spend quite a bit of time writing.  I've been in EUOL's writing group for about three years, and I'm currently working on my eighth book, all of which have been YA/middle grade fantasies thus far.)  I told her she shouldn't hire someone--I would do it for her, if I could have liberties with the story and creative process.  She agreed.  She came up with the two main characters (Buttersby and Meander), and I came up with the rest.  Through workshopping it with EUOL, MsFish, CtrlZed, Chimera and others, it's turned more and more into a strange sort of middle-grade animal fantasy comedy.

Along the way, my mom decided she wanted to have a good cover for the book.  CtrlZed had already volunteered to design the book, and he recommended a friend to do the cover.  I looked at his work and recommended him as well, and my mom hired him.  His name's Shawn Boyles, and those of you familiar with the site might know him as the creator of the Mistborn Llamas pictures that circulated a while ago.  Anyway.  Shawn read the book and liked it enough that he was interested in illustrating each chapter.  He proposed the idea to my mom, and she agreed.

My mom's initial idea had been to use one of the many Print on Demand services (like Lulu) to print the book, but I hadn't heard entirely good things about them.  I spoke with CtrlZed, and he had other ideas.  He spent countless hours designing the look of the book and the cover, and then he used some connections to find us a printer who has done work for the Lemony Snicket property in the past.  They're who we ended up using.

To make a long story short (which I realize is rather late at this point), the book is finished today.  5,000 copies of it.  Trade paperback, 186 pages.  I really have no idea if it will sell at all--something I've been telling my mom at all points of the process.  But she has some interesting ideas for distribution, including utilizing alpaca farms to sell it.  We'll see.

When I get time, I'll try and post the cover so you can all look at it.  She's also been working on a website for it, which is still under construction, but which you can view at www.buttersby.com.

I wrote the book under a pen name--Albert Packard.  Should it crash and burn like a train wreck, I never have to really mention it.  Should it do well by some strange twist of fate, I can take credit.  I'm sort of looking at it as a big experiment.

Now that's it's all done, I'm honestly quite happy with the final product.  It's not my usual style, but it was sort of a commission work, so that's to be expected.  For what my mom wanted, I think she more than got it.  I think the book is going to look very professional, and I know my mom's ready to put a lot of resources toward its promotion.  Who knows.  In any case, feel free to ask questions or point fingers at me and laugh.  This certainly isn't something I would have done with my own (nonexistent) money, but using someone else's . . . why not?

And that's all I can think of to say about that for now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:39:09 PM by Parker »

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern of Babel--Published Today
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »
Congratulations on finishing the project!!! It sounds like you made it as good as it can be, with the art and the printing and everything. I'll definitely be picking up a copy in the near future.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 02:15:34 AM »
Got my review copy today.  It looks GORGEOUS.  Congrats to you and Isaac and Shawn and your mom.  

I'll get that review in soon.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
Thanks, MsFish.  I really couldn't be happier with the way the book looks.  I think that if my mom shows up at alpaca conventions with it, she should be able to sell copies based on the look alone.  There's just no competition there.  Even in book stores, I think--should the book ever get stocked--it wouldn't look out of place at all when compared to any book in there.  Isaac and Shawn really outdid themselves.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:34:53 PM »
Hmm.... Sounds interesting.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
So I just got the review from Kirkus.  They only do pre-publication reviews normally, but for a fee, they'll do post-publication reviews as well in Kirkus Discoveries, so we sent it in to see what they had to say.  Here it is:

A cute, well-written and suspenseful animal-adventure story.

The heroine, Buttersby, is a dominant alpaca who reigns over her Virginia ranch. Since she has won many championship ribbons, she has become, simply put, a self-centered snob. After being kidnapped along with Meander, a male alpaca whom Buttersby scorns no matter how often he helps her, she arrives in Peru among alpacas who refuse to acknowledge her superiority. As such, the outraged Buttersby finds herself at the bottom of the social system, and she’s sent into the jungle with a quest: to find the legendary cave of the alpaca ancestors, aided by a prophetic mouse, ancient Vicunas and the trusty Meander. Told entirely from the alpacas’ point of view, the story zips along in short chapters adorned with illustrations as whimsical as the narrative, and young readers will recognize Buttersby’s failings in her well-drawn character. Most memorable, though, is the confident, wise-cracking Meander, who sticks by Buttersby despite her disdain. Packard displays a good feel for both comedy and suspense. Though the kidnapping is never fully explained, and though it may be difficult to understand why the conceited Buttersby would be the chosen one, Cavern of Babel is a charming, enjoyable read.

Readers will have fun and learn a great deal about alpacas. Well-done. (Fiction. 8-12)

Honestly, I really couldn't be more pleased with that.  How could I?  So the question I have now for all of you people is do you think that having a good review like that can help a book like Cavern of Babel?  What do book publishers usually do with reviews?  Any good ideas on how to use this to help get the book out to more people?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:10:38 PM by Parker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern of Babel--Kirkus Review Out
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:09:10 PM »
As I understand it, Kirkus is known for being harsh to make up for charging their fees, so this may indeed be something worthwhile to publicize. You've got several good pull quotes here that you can put on a sell sheet to pitch it to bookstores--but you would want quotes from more than one place. You can certainly put reviews on your website, like Brandon does. Amazon is a good place for such reviews to be as well.

I'm not involved in sales or marketing at all, though, and other uses of reviews are a mystery to me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:49:24 PM »
That's a great review, actually. I don't know much about Kirkus Discoveries, but what Ookla says about their reputation is true. Congratulations!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »
Yeah, that's great Parker. Wish I knew how you could use it to actually "publicize." Would you be able to ask EUOL's agent? I know he was looking at some of your work, and he might know what to do.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
Well, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're doing any kind of advertising for it (perhaps something included in the ranch ads), you definitely include the blurb. Think of it like a movie poster, and that's your Ebert & Roper quote.

If you're doing a sell sheet to take around to booksellers, you'd include it on there under "praise for Cavern of Babel.'

Publishers use reviews on the cover--if they get the quotes before publication, like Hallowmere's "A luscious read" from Shannon Hale, they put it in a prominent place on the front or the back. We've been using the blurbs to show the sales force that we're getting advance praise, which means they'll want to emphasize it even more in their visits to booksellers. You use them to show librarians if you're doing any kind of publicity in that market. I'm pretty sure (not entirely, because our publicist handles reviews) that you would include blurbs in your cover sheet when sending it to other reviewers as well. And mainly, you rejoice that you got the review, because the people who read those reviews are usually librarians and teachers and booksellers, who might be more inclined to buy it or recommend it to others having read a favorable review--because they can't read everything themselves, reviews are a way of filtering for them.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing