Author Topic: Mage Knight Canceled  (Read 1498 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Mage Knight Canceled
« on: July 01, 2005, 12:56:34 PM »
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/article.asp?cid=40039&frame=gameresources

There's been rumors of this happening for a while and now people are speculating that HeroClix will get axed soon too since that was a rumor that poped up around the same time as the MK one.  The basis is that the new money is in their card games and the Miniature market is dieing off.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 01:00:06 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Mage Knight Canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
This has been a long-time coming. MK was really only super-popular for about a year and a half.  I would think they would axe Mechwarrior before they did so to Heroclix.  I always thought Heroclix was their big money-maker.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 02:59:37 PM »
MechWarrior and Heroclix sell about the same from what WK has said, which is odd since there so much hate on the net for MW but it's one of the top selling games out there.

Anyway since my first post WK has adamantly denied that anything is going to happen to HC or MW.  But Pirates has done really well for them since it's so cheap to make and sell, still not as popular as HC or MW but it could be soon.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 03:34:43 PM »
YEah, Jeffe and I were talking to the makers of the Card Coffin. Whiz Kids had asked them to make a special edition Card Coffin for Pirates (which is very pretty, they gave us some samples, which we'll review in a couple weeks) so they knew a lot about how Pirates went. WK had thought it was going to be a throw away game, but it just took off like crazy. They didn't think it would do what it did, so they're scrambling to build administrative and business support for the product.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 08:18:19 AM »
WK said on their forum that they only decided this past Monday to cancel MK and that while they have some plans to bring it back in some form as some type of miniature game they doubt you'll see it as a clix again nor will we see the new MK for several years if at all.  They did say if Namco, who has VG rights for MK, wants to make a tactical RPG or an On-line version of the game they'd jump at the chance.

I hope that if it's true that the Collectible miniature market is dyeing off that it doesn't mean we'll loose cheap miniature games as well, I'd probably stop playing all together if the only think out there were tradition Warhammer and like games.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 09:22:11 AM »
the subtext of what Eric said was also that Wizkids plans to put their full support behind Rocketmen, which they expect to be HUGE.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:33:11 AM »
Hopefully it is, WK needs something besides Heroclix that can have some staying power.

MK basically died after moving to 2.0 (even though it was a better game all previous clix were incompatible)

MW wavers between being popular and not, currently they've got a run of good sales.

Not sure how the pirate expansions have done, GPP say that it sells decent but it's not as popular as it could be.