Author Topic: The wrong foot  (Read 5526 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
The wrong foot
« on: January 30, 2004, 07:34:17 PM »
I feel as though we may have gotten off on the wrong foot.  I, for one, welcome Onion of Death and Gorgon wholeheartedly.  The forum community here is really outstanding, and we wouldn't mind at all having you here.

That said, the community is very strong and tight-knit, and we really respond better to people who want to join rather than drop in and cause trouble.  If your interested more in the former than the latter, then, by all means, welcome aboard.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The wrong foot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks. I think I'm gonna stay away from political discussions from now on though.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 07:49:43 PM »
    Thanks.  I did not, by any means, mean to "cause trouble" and still don't.  However if I, or my comrade Onion of Death, am attacked personally I will not stop from defending myself.  I also had no idea I was not supposed to post a rant in a section called "rants and stuff".  I will keep it in mind.  Also, I will try to justify points I have better as most of them seemed to fly right over peoples heads either due to poor wording or another factor.
Grateful,
Gorgon the Wonder Cow
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 08:19:47 PM »
I am going to follow HoM's example. Because we're tight-nit, it's hard when new people come, but in the long run, we DO want new people. So welcome, I'll try to get to know you.

However, we do rant. That IS what the section is for. Just remember that when you DO rant, you're putting it out there for people to see. Rant doesn't necessarily mean irrational. When you make a claim, be able to back it up, or (as happens most often when I say something stupid) be prepared to eat your words gracefully.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 08:35:19 PM »
   I would go back and back up everything I said with a five paragraph standard 10 point essay.  However, I do not have that kind of time.  I made the assumption that I could give a lot of facts with few details as compared to a lot of details and a few facts.  I was wrong, and horribly at that.  I will work on that.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 09:03:44 PM »
Put it this way. When you join a forum, you read it for a week to get to know the posters. When you start posting, you automatically take the lowest rung of the pecking order, and you respect those here first until you have proven yourself a valuable member of the community. You two have not done this, but rather started with what is essentially a flamewar. This doesn't go down well in a smaller forum like this (where a day can go by with only three posts).

If you two are capable of growing up, and becoming productive forum posters, I too will welcome you here. I wouldn't mind some more people around. If you aren't capable, please leave and don't come back.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 09:13:02 PM »
  I understand what you are saying but  I didn't start the "flame war".  Someone else did.  I started by posting a rant about how I, personally, do not like Bush.  Then I responded to some statements which I tried to openly welcome.  Some people, however, did not like my attempts to justify my statements and thus the "flame war" started.  Hey, I'm trying!
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 09:15:38 PM »
The thing is, had you read back a bit, you would quickly have realised that any post about the war and bush will quickly turn into a flame war. I am glad that you are trying, but try harder. A jedi, are you not, but learn, can you.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 11:20:24 AM »
I'll keep that in mind, and doesn't Yoda say," No try.  do or do not, but no try." or something like that?
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 03:38:38 PM »
Just so you know, not being able to quote Yoda correctly will probably earn you flak here too.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 06:41:57 PM »
Misquoting Yoda, now that's a faux pa (or however you spell it, do I look French?)

The correct line is "Do or Do not, there is no try"

Then, Luke attempts to lift the X-wing from the swamp using the Force, and fails. Yoda achieves it easily. Luke says "I don't believe it!"

Yoda responds: "That is why you failed."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 07:49:02 PM »
Wow.  Looks like I missed another interesting discussion.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2004, 10:01:51 PM »
Fifteen hunh, so what is the youth of tomorrow doing with its spare time? What are your interests, hobbies, and who have you killed lately?   ;)
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 02:24:40 PM »
I'm playing video games, Magic, but mostly I read.

The youth of today is currently working on an extremely low budget film wich is currently nameless and plotless.  We expect a profit of over $2.5 million.  Of coarse, we will probably get a profit of $0.  Unless we raise our budget to above $0, in which case we will come out with a profit which equals |profit|-1.

Oh,and I only recently killed two strangers(I'm trying to cut down)

Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2004, 03:23:01 PM »
Of course, if the Blair Witch Project could make money, ours has a pretty good chance of making that $2.5 million...
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.