Author Topic: Emphatic Profanity Strikes Again!  (Read 4773 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Emphatic Profanity Strikes Again!
« on: February 04, 2004, 02:07:54 AM »
So it was a good day.  Cold, but good, with a forecast of even more cold and lots of snow later this week.  Today, however, it was just warm enough to start the thaw on the top layer of snow (which will ice over soon enough).  

I leave my apartment this morning noticing a hint of something burning in the air. It's very faint so I just figure one of my neighbors (six in my building) burnt something cooking.  I notice the smell is still there when return from clinic.

The night was going to be a busy one...I had a bunch of contact lens problems to go over and some reading to do, so of course I must waste some time on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance before I start.

I'm about a half an hour past when I last saved (grumble) when the power goes out.  I look across the street...power's on over there.  I look at the rest of the comples...power's on over there.  I hear the beeping of the emergency box downstairs. So I grab my flashlight and head down, meeting with a few of my neighbors on the way.  The smell of something burning is thick.

A maintenance man is down there, stopping by as his last duty of the day to deliver a piece of mail to a resident.  He smelled the smoke and the lights just happened to go out as he was leaving.  He immediately called the fire dept. and the maintenance crew.

So there I was stranded outside in the cold (as we had to evacuate) with a few of my neighbors when several fire engines, ambulances, and the fire chief's ride show up.  I guess it was a slow night in Richmond Heights. They're not telling us much other than we best look for options for a place to stay tonight.

After about forty-five minutes outsides, in which I got to meet my neighbors finally (silver lining), the maintenance guy comes over.  He tells us that melted snow (water to you laypeople) has been seeping through a crack in the basement and has been dripping on the fuse boxes.  Specifically my fuse box.  He thinks that the other apartments will get power soon, but mine won't.  We later find out that no apartments in the building will have power until morning.  

I've been trying to call my girlfriend through all this, but her phone is off because she's watching American Idol.  I pack up my stuff and head over anyway, as I assume I'll be able to stay.  I was, and am, which is how I am writing this now.

Best of all, I got the work done that I needed to.  So tonight, while a bit inconvenient, was a bit of an adventure and all turned out well.

You'll have to do better than that, Winter.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Emphatic Profanity Strikes Again!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 02:45:50 AM »
Wow.  That's more exciting than the time I was walking to class and the woman's house caught on fire.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:13:45 AM »
'The woman?'  As in 'The stick' or 'the cheat?'
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 08:25:07 AM »
"the woman" heh.

Dr. P. That is a cool story. I hope it never happens to me.

The real question is, Did you get enough Final Fantasy Tactics Advance in first?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 11:36:12 AM »
It sounded more compact than "some random woman", and I don't remember her name now.  Maybe Linda.  She just was sitting on her lawn and I thought she was doing yoga, but when I got close enough she started screaming "My house is on fire!" so I stopped to calm her down.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »
I'd probably not be calm either if my house was on fire and no one around was helping, but just thought I was doing yoga on my lawn.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 02:38:48 PM »
Which is why I stopped to help her.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 02:43:56 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »
And you didn't notice this house was ablaze because...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 06:31:51 PM »
Because the house itself wasn't on fire.  She'd fallen asleep with a candle lit, which caught a picture on fire that was on the table next to it.   If she hadn't been so busy hyperventillating she could have just thrown water on the darn thing and that would have been that.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 07:51:10 PM »
Well only a lazy bum would've done that.  She needed to do it the long and testy way.  Which begins with resting with a candle lit as to save your strength for the task ahead.  Then at the point in time your house catches fire you must run in a circle all the while saying to yourself "99 what?" then saying "STOP DROP AND ROLL!".  After insuring you have forgotten how to call the unnecisary firefighters and performed every fire safety tip in your vocabulary you must go outside and clam yourself with yoga, until a complete stranger comes by so you can finally save your house.  Geese, don't you know anything?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 07:54:30 PM »
"the woman" heh.

Dr. P. That is a cool story. I hope it never happens to me.

The real question is, Did you get enough Final Fantasy Tactics Advance in first?

No, not enough FFTA, actually.  In fact, a good half an hour of gametime was lost when the power went out.  

But I'm back in my apartment now and power has been restored.  So everything's good!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 09:38:15 PM »
 Geese, don't you know anything?

Oh, dear.  Tell Spriggan the geese are back

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »
i wonder if they're the same geese that tried to assassinate me at work the other week.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 10:25:55 PM »
No, these are a duck-goose breed which I have ninja trained... Unless my geese attacked you, then I am suprised you survived as they are trained to attack the vital areas of the body.  Nerves, joints, ect.  
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
Man, what did I tell you about using those things on innocent bystanders?

Oh wait, I told you to use them on innocent bystanders...
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.