Author Topic: The Last Samurai  (Read 1298 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
The Last Samurai
« on: January 06, 2004, 03:56:34 PM »
Wow, has no one else seen this movie? Because even though it has Tom Cruise in it, its stil a pretty darn good movie. I liked it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Samurai
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 06:08:10 PM »
I want to see it but I refuse to pay money to see Tom Cruise no matter how good the movie looks.  Learned my lesson with Minority Report.  WHich wasn't a bad movie, but my  hatred for Tom Cruise is vast.

You can tell me about the plot though, so that I have more reason to see it than just knowing "Tom Cruise and some Japanese people beat up some bad people"
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 06:32:59 PM »
Plot
Dances with wolves .... err Samurai
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 02:23:30 AM »
I saw this on opeinging day and didn't even bother to post anything about it.  It had awsome fights (and realsitic sword fights) and the cooliest live action Samurai vs Ninja battle I've ever seen.  But chracter wise it's realy lacking.  Tom Cruise did good in the movie, and cosidering the script I doubt anyone else would have done better.  They realy did not develop his character at all, you actualy kinda hate Tom's character because he's a drunken looser that stalkes women (there is no romance as the movie would imply, just Tom following around a Japanese girl stareing at her).  The only character with any depth is the main Samurai guy (who's realy cool).  Plot wise it follows history but it ends up being like Braveheart where they change much of the actual battles.  Tom Cruise's character was fictional but all the Japanese characters were real.  It takes place a few years before the Kenshin TV series starts when the Meji goverment is starting to modernise Japan.  And deals with the conflict that enshews from that, basicaly the traditionalists vs the moderists.

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 08:17:41 PM »
I loved the movie. Japanese culture has always fascinated me, especially the ninja/samurai eras.  

Plus, it has a group of ninjas doing what they do best.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.