Author Topic: Info on the remaining metals  (Read 3109 times)

holt

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Info on the remaining metals
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »
Hey everyone,

First off I just wanted to say that I have all of my friends hooked on Mistborn.  I let 4 of them borrow Mistborn1 and they all have bought Mistborn2/3.

However, I have a question about the following mistborn site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn

Where did it get the information regarding the unknown metals?

More importantly...where did it get this info:

'They're also now known to be 2 additional metals (God metals) that sit outside of the main 16, which could have as many as 16 alloys each.'

'Cadmium (External)'

'Cerrobend (External)'

'Chromium (External)'

'Nicrosil (External)'

Did I miss something while reading the last book??

Where did the information with the god metals come from?  And why is there 4 new metals listed?  I thought that there was only 2.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Info on the remaining metals
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:56:20 AM »
Most of the information came from Brandon's blog, specifically the post at . . .

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/737/Poster-Near-Final-Version

However, it was later discovered that Cerrobend is a trademarked name, and I don't think Brandon has decided on a new name for the other metal yet. (I believe the name with the highest backing at the moment is bendalloy.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »
Most of the information came from Brandon's blog, specifically the post at . . .

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/737/Poster-Near-Final-Version

Does he still sell those posters??

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
No, because he never started selling them.  They are still in the planning/editing/whatever stage.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
I'd suppose that it is taking a while to get those posters going because Brandon's trying to get a great alternate name to Cerrobend.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »
You would think that the company that owns the name Cerrobend would love the free advertising that it's use in the books/posters/whatever generates.  It's not like EUOL is using the metal itself and calling it Cerrobend.  He is referring to a fictional world and Cerrobend's fictional use as an allomantic metal.  Unfortunately everyone has to make a buck off of every little thing.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:21:52 AM »
Unfortunately everyone has to make a buck off of every little thing.
I believe it's called survival.  8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
I believe it's called survival.  8)

Not if it would make you more money in the long term to allow things to stand as they are.

Long-term thinking is possible in a wealthy world like ours.  Far too few people avail themselves of it.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »
Quote from: Shaggy on February 06, 2009, 10:21:52 PM
I believe it's called survival. 

Not if it would make you more money in the long term to allow things to stand as they are.

Long-term thinking is possible in a wealthy world like ours.  Far too few people avail themselves of it.
Long-term thinking often involves taking a risk. Many people are not willing to take risks in which the stakes are so high. Short-term thinking is much easier for peace of mind.

Not that I think long-term thinking is stupid; quite the opposite. I am a big believer in long-term planning; since I am a kid, though, I have to do much less thinking/planning than all of you, so I don't really have to worry about that much.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
Does anyone else think the 'perhaps unexpected' part of the Nicrosil description is foreshadowing events from the next trilogy as to how it could be used as a weapon?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »
I know I read somewhere in the mass of reading I have done about Brandon that he mentioned the next mistborn series taking place much later in the future.  He also stated that mistborns were alot more rare or didn't exist, cant remember which.  So the additional metal and working in groups is alot more common.  Something like using Necrobursting someone who is pushing on two objects.  They would squish themselves because they would not have pewter to survive live Vin did.  It also could be used to help allies. 

I would forsee people carrying more vials and less metal in them to lower the risks of being necroburst.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:40:57 AM »
I know I read somewhere in the mass of reading I have done about Brandon that he mentioned the next mistborn series taking place much later in the future.  He also stated that mistborns were alot more rare or didn't exist, cant remember which.  So the additional metal and working in groups is alot more common.  Something like using Necrobursting someone who is pushing on two objects.  They would squish themselves because they would not have pewter to survive live Vin did.  It also could be used to help allies. 

I would forsee people carrying more vials and less metal in them to lower the risks of being necroburst.
Yes, as far as I know the next trilogy will take place in modern time and be more like an Urban Fantasy novel.  Mistborn would be very very rare.  If I remember correctly the main character will burn Nicrocil. (Anyone have the reference for that or am I thinking wrong metal? >>) 

Then the possible third trilogy would take place well into the future.

There was also mention that not all of the metals are actually metals (possibly) and could be of other substances (maybe).

Of course, all of this is still up in the air until he actually drafts some copies. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:38:04 AM »
I'm sure the reference is in the MB3 Spoiler topic somewhere, but I don't feel like digging through it. However, I definitely recall Brandon saying that the main character would be a Nicrosil Misting and that there would not be any Mistborn.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »
I'm sure the reference is in the MB3 Spoiler topic somewhere, but I don't feel like digging through it. However, I definitely recall Brandon saying that the main character would be a Nicrosil Misting and that there would not be any Mistborn.

SPOILER!!

That is right if I remember correctly.  Also I beleive the only reoccuring characters that are possible is Marsh and Sazed.  March is still alive and apparently can pull off the same trick as the lord ruler.   That is if my memory serves me correctly.  It has been known to fail me in the past.  :D  So technically Marsh would be the only one with full Mistborn like capabilities.  Will be interesting if they use him though seems how he is no longer controlled by Rune.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »
I also remember there being something said about Marsh still being alive like TLR had done.  I don't remember if it was said if he would be a main character or not though.  Oh and I'm certain Hoid will make an appearance as well.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。