Author Topic: Bored in Class  (Read 3416 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Bored in Class
« on: August 31, 2004, 05:02:22 PM »
    So I just started school again and not only do I not have friends in most of my classes, but I sit alone at lunch too. Another thing about my classes, I am a lot quicker than the other people in them typically, so I end up sitting in a class where I know nobody and I have no work to do. Any suggestions for what I should do? No electronics allowed.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Bored in Class
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:14:10 PM »
Heh, I had the same problem, but most of the things I did might get you in trouble so I probably shouldn't recommend them.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 05:14:47 PM »
write. *nod*

a lot.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »
Sure, but you should probably pretend to be writing notes, because most of the teachers I had would have got mad for doing that.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:17:50 PM »
notes for class, you mean, right? Not notes to other people...

I just had this weird image of a teacher getting mad at you for doing something productive instead of passing messages to friends.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 05:18:45 PM »
    Yeah I keep thinking about that now, I have a couple issues with writing though. First of all, I can't write while people are around. I don't know why I just can't seem to do it. Another thing is that I have tried so many different stories and I can never really keep at one to finish it so I never get anything done. At this point I just gave up hope of ever really getting something on paper.

I dont think it would be a problem with the teacher Eagle Prince.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 05:21:46 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 05:31:35 PM »
Well I was going to say bring a book, but I remember several classes where I did that and would get yelled at.  Strange thing was, I just ignored them, and I still got an A in those classes.  I think they were mostly just mad because I was ignoring them.  Fair warning though.

My senior year in high school I skipped 3 classes to play chess.  But I also was clever about it and tricked my teachers into giving me permission to do it, and got A's in those classes.  Lol, that reminds me of this one time in 9th grade.  I think I sluffed at least one or two classes every day for the whole second half of the year, and only got caught twice.  The first time I went to all my teachers and told them to sign a note saying I was at the class, then turned it into the office and got credit for attending the day.  The second time I got caught was toward the end of the year.  My punishment was to sit in the library and do all my work for the day I missed and the day I spent in the library, but being the end of the year that took about an hour and so the librarian just let me leave school.  Rofl, that still makes me grin.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 05:35:39 PM »
Wow, evidently you got some divine luck with teachers in high school. I can't think of one teacher that I could get to say that I was at their class like that.

About the book possibility, I did bring the Silmarillion but I have done about 900 pages of required reading in the last three days or so, so that wasnt as appealing as it would normally be.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
The main problem is there just isn't that much to do at school besides school work.  The best thing is to make sure you have some classes you actually want to go to, since you can choose a lot of your classes in high school.  I took a lot of weightlifting, jogging, and computer classes.  Something like weightlifting you are working out so it doesn't get boring, and computers well you can just play around on the computer if you get bored.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »
    I disagree with that bit about weightlifting. I get so bored of it, even though I have to push myself. To me (and those are the key words) it is just such a tedious task, and I don't even like the way it makes me feel.

And with that deal about picking your classes, I only look forward to Russian, and I have a computer class that is so so. For college bound people all but one hour are fairly set. Science, math, social studies, literature, and a foreign language are almost mandatory.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 05:49:14 PM by Archon »

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 06:00:55 PM »
I guess weightlifting isn't for everyone, I liked it a lot though.  I also remember having a lot of elective classes.  I got to calculus with only 3 years of math, took foriegn language, etc... all that stuff you didn't need to graduate but they said you wanted for college.  The main thing I think was you needed 4 years of english to graduate, and with 4 years of high school means basically you can't fail it ever (unless you are just dying to take summer school).

Ah, just remembered something.  They might not do this anymore, but when I was in high school you could get credits for having a job.  That might have given me a lot more elective classes than normal.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 07:06:07 PM »
yeah they dont do that anymore, I dont think they ever have at my school.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 07:15:24 PM »
I skipped a lot my junior year. I would just wander off. I played teh "sick" card a lot. usually I ended up on the football field playing frisbee with friends. Fifth period was easy to skip. It was Yearbook Production. we would leave to get "quotes."

Once I played the sick card, and just started walking circles around the school. I guess my teach knew I was depressed or something, because at one point I realized i was walking past his window -- this after telling him I was sick so I could leave. I even saw him looking out the window at me. But he never called me on it.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 07:17:31 PM »
Even if I were depressed and one of my teachers knew about it they wouldnt let me out of class like that. You guys are so lucky to have such cool teachers.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 07:23:23 PM »
well, this WAS the professor who, a year later when I was making a video about myself for another class (heavily sarcastic, with on screen bribes to people saying good things about me) he told me he had more to say after I cut the video when he had gushed about me for a minute already.