Local Authors > Dan Wells

I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bookstore Guy:

--- Quote from: Fellfrosch on May 18, 2009, 02:47:20 PM ---If you really want to have some fun, buy them a copy of book 2 when it comes out next year. If they thought the first one was too freaky, the second will get you disowned.

--- End quote ---

Heh. This is 110% true.

Fellfrosch:
The thing to remember about all three books in this series is that they are all, when you boil them down to their core, the story of a person who is trying very, very hard to be good. Doing the wrong thing is always discussed but never condoned, and in fact the ramifications of "bad" behavior are much stronger in this series than they are in most other contemporary fantasies. How many people does Luke Skywalker kill, and it doesn't bother him at all? And how many people does John kill, and why, and for what reasons, and how deeply does it affect him afterward?

Renoard:
Kind of like Ted then? :P

pacatak:
I agree that this book isn't for young people. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to most people under 18.  My bro is 21 just got back from his mission (that might have something to do with it)  He likes sci fi, loves star wars.  I think his favorite books are the Redwall series, So i guess serial killers are a little different then cute little rodents playing king arthur.  I think he was just a little disturbed by some of the more graphic parts, in particular the stalkerish behavior and the scene  with the monsters wife.

I should add not all my family was opposed to it.  My 31 year old brother really enjoyed the book and he's a high school English teacher and the varsity basketball coach.  My 23 year old sister really wants to read it, but her husband doesn't want her to.  She loves to scare herself, but if she reads it i know she'll not be sleeping for weeks.

Can't wait for the next book.  I'll probably be ordering all these from overseas so I can get them ASAP.  But all this talk about the next books make me nervous.  I sure hope John doesn't go to the dark side, cause we crazy people need hope.

Bookstore Guy:
As I mentioned on Dan's website, the age group for this series is variable. It really depends on the individual. There is a lot in YA that is considered more shocking than this series. However, for some people, this series may be too much. I think if readers focus too much on the creepiness of it, they miss out on the brilliantly written inner-struggle that John Cleaver faces.

Book 1 is a pleasantly creepy ride that, through the character's inner-turmoil, lends humanity to a character who thinks he doesn't have any humanity. Books 2 is way creepier, but for every level of darkness Dan gives added levity in some places and deeper heroics in other places.

Some 12 year-olds could be fine with this series while some 30 year-olds may find it too much. Know your audience when you recommend the book. In my opinion, this is horror-lite, but I'm kinda messed up in the head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version