Author Topic: HL2 spoilers - aka 'trying to work stuff out'  (Read 1529 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
HL2 spoilers - aka 'trying to work stuff out'
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:16:10 AM »
**MAJOR SPOILERS**

Well...

Judging from the change in appearance of Dr Vance, it looks to be set 15 years or so after HL1. This would fit with the picture of the young alex from the time of Black Mesa. At one point someone says 'you don't look a day older' or something to that effect; this plus the way HL1 ended and HL2 started seems to indicate Gordon went straight from HL1 to HL2 without inconviencing himself with the intervening time. Certainly the surprise everyone expressed when they found out Gordon was alive would support this.

It would appear that the Black Mesa operations head struck a deal with the Xen after the end of HL1. The confusing part is that most of the aliens disappeared, leaving only the Vorlons (misspelling, thats the Babylon 5 guys but nm) who joined the resistance and the facehuggers (and the neuros). The confusing thing is the Vorlons; why are they suddenly helping the human resistance? At the end you see the bad guy talking to an alien on a monitor. The alien looked like one of the gunships to me... looked like the gun turret from the front. But he made it clear this alien was on the other side of the portal (ie, xen). Maybe Black Mesa Guy (hereafter refered to as BMG) made a deal with the top ranking members of Xen, so that the Vorlons are just as oppressed as the human masses.

At least twice BMG mentions 'The Combine'. I think this refers to the Xen higherups.

The gunships and the Striders were, evidently, Xen bioweapons. Or lifeforms, whatever. While they would appear to be heavily armoured for that sort of thing, the alien dropship thing from HL1 (it mainly shot lasers straight down as I recall, though you rode on one for a while in Xen) was invulnerable.

With regards the end sequence and the G'man, wow. What a bastard. It would appear that he has turned Gordon into a sort of time and dimension travelling merc for hire. Which, of course, leaves it nice and open for Half Life 3.

Kinda sad that this thread will probably only get about 3 pageviews.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: HL2 spoilers - aka 'trying to work stuff out'
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »
the funny thing about spoilers, esp for a sequel, is that you have to know more about the fundamentals than "there's a gun involved" to get anything that's said.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »
I'll comment and read the full thing when I finish the game. Here's my views so far.

It seems to be set a while after HL1, certainly. City 17 needed time to be established. Certainly barney looks older, and when did Eli lose the leg? Note the GMan says you've been sleeping at the start. Remember also, HL1 finished with the Gman forcing you to do a job for him.

It seems to me that the humans were in the wrong to start with. I think that experiment was SUPPOSED to stuff up in HL1. Note how the humans, in the end sequence, quickly get tanks and take over the border world for no reason. I expect that the Vorticons recognise this, and Freeman's position on the matter. Note that a lot of legend has already been raised about Freeman, (Remember the Director's speech about him being the only Free man?).

The combine are those dudes in the white face masks. I'm not sure what the deal with them is, but I expect they're some unholy alliance between Xen and Xity 17. Although they might be human - note that Barney somehow got into a Combine suit, suggesting that the suits are designed for humans.

I'll post again as I learn more about the game, I'm not that far in yet, just guessing.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:07:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure they arn't JP. Those are City Patrol. And they are most likely human - there are loads of them, and their blood is red. And later on you hear the director berating them on behalf of the combine (aka 'our benefactors). And the sound they make (only the city patrol make them, the other two classes don't) sounds like a biomonitor going offline.

I do remember the border world takeover. Bearing in mind the presence of the Black Mesa Director as the head of the NWO... it does look very suspicious.

HL1 - freeman was not offered a job as such. And it ended with the message 'Gordon Freeman. Subject Status : Hired.' Combine this with the end sequence of Half life 2...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 02:03:39 AM »
HL1 he was offered a job. It's just he had no chocie weather to accept it or not.

If those guys aren't the combine, why has EVERY review and article I've seen on the game referred to them as such?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 03:03:19 AM »
In what context?

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 03:25:15 AM »
In the conext of "The Combine are guys with white masks" or ""Those guys in the white masks are called the combine.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 11:58:40 PM »
I'm in Nova Prospect now. I quote directly:

"If the transgenic forces are to prove themselves a valuable Augmentation to the combine overwatch"

First of all, this is direct evidence the soldiers are transgenic, that is, hald human, half alien. You can't reasonably argue against that.

Now, the way I understand this phrase, he's talking about the forces redeeming themselves. Further more, they have to prove themselves a valuable part of the combine overwatch. I think this suggets that they are a part of the combine overwatch, proving themselves as to why they should stay, as opposed to why they should join.

Also, he calls it the combine overwatch. As in, the combine and overwatch are one and the same, or the overwatch is part of the combine. Note the soldiers carry Overwatch rifles. That makes it certain they are overwatch, which means they are either the same as the combine, or part of the combine.

So, I take this as evidence of the final theory: The Combine are aliens. The Combine Overwatch are the forces of the aliens, which include transgenic humans, which are the guys you fight. So those guys are kind of the combine millitary.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:16:55 AM »
Yeah. The strat manual said that the overwatch rifle was 'assembled by the combine'.

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 09:06:42 PM »
Ok, I've done a lot of reading and research, and this is how I put together the plot. Heavy spoilers, obviously.

Let's start with the G-man. The G-man is, I think, a good guy overall. At the same time, he's mercenary. He works as a contracter, selling the services of Gordon Freeman to the highest bidder. Evidence - he tells you as much at the end of HL2.

Now, look at Freemans name. Free Man. He goes around Freeing people. In HL1, look at the vortigaunts. They have shackles around their arms - they're slaves. In HL1, Freeman is freeing them.

Obviously, this is set up by the G-man. The G-man, therefore, must have gotten the sample to the Anamolous Materials lab. This sample is special, the scientists tell you as much. When used, it makes the Border world Xen and Earth unite, and Xen creatures appear here. This was intended by the G-man so that Gordon would do what he had to. In the level in HL1 "Questionable Ethics", we see caged Border World creatures. Because the scientists are either elsewhere or dead, and the setups are complex, we must assume the creatures have been there for a while, and so the humans have been visiting the Border world a number of times.

Now, at the end of HL1, we see the boss, who seems to be ruling Xen. By killing him, you free the vortigaunts. However, the shackles on his wrists indicate that he was coerced into ruling Xen - presumably by the combine. So, the combine take an interest in Earth. Freeman is told he has a job, and steps through a teleport.

In HL1 and 2, there are no cutscenes, no one week later or anything - it happens directly through Freeman's eyes. Yet he appears years later in City 17. We must assume then, that to Freeman no time has passed. In HL2, there is a slow teleport that takes a week. The G-mans teleport, then, must have been a slow teleport of ten years.

So Freeman is in City 17, being hired by the rebels to free them. We see the G-man negotiating with the rebels through a telescope at one stage. We also here how Alyx says he saved her even though he wasn't obligated to, and Breen says he could hire Freeman. Freeman is working for the G-man.

The Combine Benfactors are never seen, but the Combine troops are. They are the army dudes, and are part human part combine. Presumably, they were only recently created, as Breen says that their failure won't allow them to prove themselves an indispensable part of the Combine millitary.

The gunships and striders, BTW, are Combine weapons. Not Xen, the Xen are a people opressed by the Combine. Also, the Civil patrol are not Combine, but Human. Note how easily they go down, and how Barney managed to infiltrate a suit. They're clearly designed for Humans.

The final clue is the G-man at the end talking about time. Evidently, destroying the machine as it opened a portal to the Combine homeworld created some kind of Timewarp on the same principles as the Slow teleport. What happens now is something left unknown until HL3.

Oh, and Breen is trying to deal with the Combine, and let them take some control of Earth as they did Xen, as opposed to fighting them, as the rebels would.