Author Topic: TWG chat project  (Read 7452 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
TWG chat project
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:41:16 AM »
ok here's the skinny on this.  I suspected this, but wanted to make sure I was right before posting anything.  There is no way we are going to be able have an IRC chat at TWG.  There is no free software that will handle more then 10 or so people on at once, and those have to be run off of someones computer.  Now you might say, "but we're never going to have that many people on at once!"  But we all know that once the server frezzes once you'll all be yelling at me for setting up a lousey server.  And frankly if I'm going to do this its going to be done right.

Now we can get some nice ones that run serverside for about $1,500 and even a few not so nice ones for $500.  We even could get some decent ones that run on a PC for a $100-$200.  But I'm not spending that kind of money on you people.

The other option is a PHP/HTML or PHP/flash chat (which I recomed over the PHP/HTML as will become appernt why).  There's 2 different types of PHP chats.  The first isn't realy a chat, it's a psudo-chat.  How it works is you type and send you messages to a database or a TXT file, then there's Java code that makes your browser automaticaly refresh after a set number of seconds.  It's not real time, and your HTML page will be refreshing every few seconds (the recomended is 8).  If there's a flash program wraped around it you'll never notice the refresh.  The second option is to create a PHP socket server, and I've got the nicest GPL one that you can get.  The problem here is that most hosting companies don't allow you to run said sockets for more then POP e-mail retreveing.  Aslo you have to have access to CLI (command line interface) which I doubt Tage has.

The first PHP chat type I could have done in a matter of hours, the second one (if it would run on TWGs hosted account) wouldn''t be quite a qucikly done since it requires you to actualy know what the code all means to interface with it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:51:21 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: TWG chat project
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:00:48 AM »
are you looking at running an IRC server? Or just something that connects to IRC?

Personally, I wouldn't use a web based chat anyway. If we're just talking to IRC, I'll just add it to my list of IRC chat rooms.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 11:04:48 AM »
That is what i would prefer. Put it up on stratics!

The other option, to make a text file thing, is a good idea, since then people could connect from work. Make a no-flash version for that purpose. Though they will end up with sky-high page views.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 11:07:30 AM »
We could easly get a free IRC room at another site, but that's not something that intrests me at all.  I'd never use it to talk to any of you (as I stated in another thread I have AIM to talk to the people I care to), I wouldn't get the experience of useing one, and finaly I wouldn't be able to use them for multi-player flash games.  So if you want to set it up go ahead, but I don't see the point of haveing a TWG chat room that's seperate from the site.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 11:47:11 AM »
eh, fine. I just won't ever use one that's ON the site.

I do know that there's a java one that works pretty good. I have it on the #authors site. http://www.blueroses.com/authors

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »
Eh, i've got better ones then what you have there SE (which is like 6 years old).  I realy don't plan on doing any of them becasue most people want one type or another, and I'm not going to take the time to do something if only 2 or 3 people here will end up useing it.  If we do do the off site IRC room, we could easly make a on site program to use to chat on it as well as allowing those who want to be able to connect with it via a IRC client (like trillion) to do so as well.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 12:18:58 PM »
see, I think that's the ideal system. Too many things are annoying about browser clients. Accidentlaly leaving hte page, closing IE, etc. But for a way to introduce people to the chat room, a web client is desirable. We just want to be able to move them over afterward.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 03:51:21 PM »
How many people are planning on using a TWG chat interface? I'm like Spring, I use MSN/AOL/ICQ to chat with peoples.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 04:12:28 PM »
if you use Trillian, you've already got an IRC interface that is servicable enough too. I would think that only IRC newbies would use the web site interface (or someone desperate to get on and away from their own box)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 04:42:44 PM »
Could we have an IRC chat room for AS?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 04:43:51 PM »
AS?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 04:49:41 PM »
Question to Saint. It's our writing group.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 04:51:11 PM »
why would you need one if you can just all chat via AIM's confrence chat.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »
Because it's cooler?  :-[

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
Well humm, we have been talking about one for the writers-group.org site.  If SE okays it I'll get a room made and throw up a PHP shell for it on that site as well.