Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Cosmere Discussion ***SPOILERS for ALL books***

<< < (4/11) > >>

Munin:
Cognitive has to do with thought, so the cognitive realm would be the realm of the mind.

happyman:

--- Quote from: Pechvarry on September 14, 2010, 06:19:37 PM ---That makes a lot of sense about them making their own humans that are based off what they know (and were) as opposed to inventing humans fresh. 

Though I was still led to believe through the Mistborn trilogy that Ruin and Preservation were responsible for the circle of life of the planet.  In a very mythology-like "and that's why this happens" sort of way, I thought things were born and lived because of Preservation and decayed and withered due to Ruin's touch, with the certain knowledge that without Ruin, Preservation would eventually become self-defeating.  If this is true, it means the other worlds need a reason to have a cohesive physics structure.

--- Quote from: Ari54 on September 14, 2010, 09:33:21 AM ---Shards don't always come in pairs. For instance, Roshar had 3 shards, (2 now that the Almighty is dead) and as far as we know Warbreaker features only Endowment.

--- End quote ---

While I'm going to readily embrace what we know (what you said above) as the easiest and most straightforward solution, I'm not going to discount the possibility that we don't know everything.  For example, 2 could've been responsible for establishing Roshar, and then Odium could've swooped in and said "I want this one!"  Likewise, Endowment could have a counterpart whose simply been absent for one reason or another since the founding of the Warbreaker planet (I can never remember the name!).  Of course, if Endowment had a counterpart, it would likely be something that gives nothing -- not even destruction.  So perhaps it simply has no magic system to share or even influence on the land -- a dud shard.

--- End quote ---

Just one correction:  The three that would have been involved with Roshar would have been *before* Odium showed up.  At least, that's the simplest reading of the evidence.

hubay:

--- Quote from: Pechvarry on September 16, 2010, 08:09:00 PM ---Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is the thread that should've been stickied.   Since it is, at some point I'll probably edit the main post or add a new post of common info.  The big one being "YES, ELANTRIS, MISTBORN TRILOGY, WARBREAKER, AND THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVES ARE ALL IN THE SAME UNIVERSE."

--- End quote ---

there's an older thread that explains all the hoid sightings, if I remember correctly. You could mine that for essential info. Otherwise one of us could build a thread that gives a basic "welcome to the cosmere" sort of explanation, and re-petition 'Nessa. It's not a bad thread to sticky really, even though the first post doesn't explain everything right away, it stops people from making new posts, which is the whole idea behind a sticky.

Brenna:
If you build a different "Welcome to the cosmere" post, and want it stickied, just let me know and I'd be happy to do so. :)

Chaos:

--- Quote from: happyman on September 17, 2010, 10:37:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Pechvarry on September 14, 2010, 06:19:37 PM ---That makes a lot of sense about them making their own humans that are based off what they know (and were) as opposed to inventing humans fresh. 

Though I was still led to believe through the Mistborn trilogy that Ruin and Preservation were responsible for the circle of life of the planet.  In a very mythology-like "and that's why this happens" sort of way, I thought things were born and lived because of Preservation and decayed and withered due to Ruin's touch, with the certain knowledge that without Ruin, Preservation would eventually become self-defeating.  If this is true, it means the other worlds need a reason to have a cohesive physics structure.

--- Quote from: Ari54 on September 14, 2010, 09:33:21 AM ---Shards don't always come in pairs. For instance, Roshar had 3 shards, (2 now that the Almighty is dead) and as far as we know Warbreaker features only Endowment.

--- End quote ---

While I'm going to readily embrace what we know (what you said above) as the easiest and most straightforward solution, I'm not going to discount the possibility that we don't know everything.  For example, 2 could've been responsible for establishing Roshar, and then Odium could've swooped in and said "I want this one!"  Likewise, Endowment could have a counterpart whose simply been absent for one reason or another since the founding of the Warbreaker planet (I can never remember the name!).  Of course, if Endowment had a counterpart, it would likely be something that gives nothing -- not even destruction.  So perhaps it simply has no magic system to share or even influence on the land -- a dud shard.

--- End quote ---

Just one correction:  The three that would have been involved with Roshar would have been *before* Odium showed up.  At least, that's the simplest reading of the evidence.

--- End quote ---

I haven't been on TWG for a while, but I was pretty darn sure Brandon said there were three Shards on Roshar. If he said that, that surely includes Odium.

EDIT: I have looked in one of my emails. It confirms that there are three. Like so:

--- Quote ---18. How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

ANSWER: Three
--- End quote ---

That pretty much covers it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version