Author Topic: Keys to the apartment  (Read 3096 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Keys to the apartment
« on: December 15, 2004, 03:48:08 AM »
All right so today Karen was up north for work and thus was near my place. However my roommate works late on Tuesdays because of a teleconference with Japan, so I had her come to my work and pick me up, and then we went to the temple visitor's center where they had a little musical presentation thing for Christmas. Of course traffic was terrible and we got there right after it started and they didn't let us in the main room so we were relegated to a side theater where they were piping it into but the speakers were making a huge humming noise and someone came onscreen and said some stuff and then it was followed by silence (and humming) as the video for Luke II played (yes, the camera was piping us the image of the projection on the wall). So I said "is there supposed to be sound"? And one of the volunteer/missionaries eventually came back and said "there's no sound in the main theater either so you're just supposed to watch the picture." Which was pretty ridiculous since what really was happenning was that they were playing their own soundtrack with a bunch of musical instruments in the main room, but there was no microphone so we got nothing. Then after the video finished finally, there was a black screen for a while, and then some lights came on and some people marched on the screen, singing. Or rather, their mouths were moving, and all we heard was the loud hum. So I said "they're singing! Anyone know how to read lips?" Eventually they got some kind of microphone working so we could hear some of the main people in the play but it was just painful eventually so we just left and walked around looking at the lights, and then went to Yoshinoya.

Anyway when we got to my apartment, my roommate was mad at me because when he drove my car home and got to the apartment, he couldn't unlock the doors because he doesn't carry keys with him.

Who doesn't carry keys with them? Do you know anyone who doesn't carry keys around? I guess there must be some, but I don't know any other than him. When I picked him up from the airport on Sunday I remembered to bring his keys along so he could use them after I dropped myself off at Karen's, but I just plain forgot about it today. Yes I bear a good deal of the blame because I forgot to talk it out clearly with him ahead of time that I'd be getting picked up from work and he'd need to take care of stuff for himself, but there are any number of things he could have done instead of standing outside the apartment for two hours before finally getting fed up and going to the manager and getting charged $25 for getting let in. He could have...called me? Sat and talked with the neighbor for a while? Gone shopping? I got back probably 40 minutes after he apparently got into the apartment, and I feel bad that he was inconvenienced so, but it's a lot of inconvenience for me too, having to drive him home from work (except the past 3 weeks while he was in Tokyo), specifically now that I have somewhere else to go and someone else to see that I didn't have before (I didn't care at all before which of us drove; don't mind driving personally, and when his car gave up the ghost it wasn't a big deal, but now it makes things decidedly inconvenient at many times).

Anyway there would have been no problem if he had just carried his keys around himself like a normal person.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 03:48:56 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Keys to the apartment
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 09:02:31 AM »
yeah, i mean, be aware of your roommate's needs, but it seems in this case that his need is to keep a key with him. It's not fair of him to expect you to be the one who opens the door for him all the time.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »
In addition to being foolish in its own right Its kind of rude of your roommate to expect you to carry the key. And what if you lost your key, what would he do then?  
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »
Sounds like your roommate needs a good punch in the mouth.  Good grief.

Tell him to quit whining and act like a grown up.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 01:54:02 PM »
I hope he's not asking you to pay part of that $25...
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 03:43:05 PM »
My favorite is my roommate who expects us to leave the door unlocked until she decides to come home.  Because she can't carry a key.  So we should all get robbed.

Down with keyless roommates.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 03:43:40 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:52 PM »
Yes down with keyless roommates.  Lock the door whenever you leave so they get sick of being locked out and start carrying a key.  

Then when they start hiding a key nearby so they still don't have to carry one, whenever you find it, take it and put it back in their room, and lock the door when you leave.

Their behavior is so patently unreasonable they really don't have a leg to stand on.  After all, if you found it, a thief could find it.

Why tiptoe around the issue?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 05:21:31 PM »
I think, when someone becomes an adult they should get used to carrying certain items with them whenever they leave the house/apartment. Things like house keys, identification, and emergency money.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 01:03:42 AM »
So the question is what do you do when your husband does that? Eric almost never takes the keys with him when he leaves. His reason? "You're with me and you have your keys!"

Yup. Adults need to just carry certain items with them.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 01:25:24 AM »
I always figure that even if I'm leaving with my roommates and plan on returning with them, I still need my keys. What if we change our minds midway through the evening and someone wants to go do something else and I want to go home, or vice versa? Just always a good idea to have keys. Keys, i.d., and asthma inhaler are the staples. That and money for the T or bus if I might need to get home in some other way than the ride we got.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 11:26:07 AM »
oh the world owes me a living...

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »
Never again.

I leant him my keys so he could discipline the 3-year-old by taking him out to the van. When I, my two other boys, and my very tired and grumpy father went out to the van, he was nowhere to be found. I spent several minutes looking for him.

Next time, he has to use his own keys. I'm not going to waste my time looking for him just because he has my keys, and didn't bring his own because he was feeling lazy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 04:11:03 AM »
I've been avoiding the issue, but now the management has sent us a nice little note saying "give us our $25."

So what am I going to do? In the interest of maintaining harmony, I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay it. Though I'm getting married in a couple months and thus moving out then or slightly before, I do expect to be working every day alongside said roommate for the foreseeable future, and don't want to tick him off too badly.

A little something like $25 (even though he's making more money than me) could be a huge stumbling block for our future relationship. It sucks, but I don't know what else to do. I'm definitely going to tell him it's his responsibility to have keys with him from now on.

Now he'd better buy his new car soon as well. I can't plan my schedule around his anymore...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 06:18:04 AM »
I say send him an email with a link to this thread and tell him to read Skar's posts.  (Along with others.)

The man is being juvenile.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 08:43:15 AM »
You know, you can't make your roommate change, that is something he has to do himself.

Yet, you're not doing him any favors by paying the $25 bill for him. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

So go ahead and confront him. He might get mad, but do you really want to continue a relationship with someone who is going to use you like this?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.