Author Topic: Waiting is frustrating  (Read 2808 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Waiting is frustrating
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:39:12 AM »
Ugh. I don't even have the energy to rant.

I wish the wedding could be February 19th to take advantage of the 3-day weekend...but looks like that's not going to be possible (and no, the whys of this are not up for discussion).

Those of you out there who are married, I assume the majority had to wait some time before a planned date. How did you keep yourself from going insane?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting is frustrating
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:56:32 AM »
During our six-month engagement, I took 18 credit hours (mostly hard ones, though I did have a few dance classes too), dealt with the death of my future mother-in-law (a month before the wedding), graduated with a BA (a week before the wedding), made lots of wedding plans (including helping my mom make my wedding dress three days before the wedding), and worked part-time.

Hmm....maybe I shouldn't be the one to give advice on how to avoid going insane before the wedding date...since it appears that I already *was* insane!  ;)

In all seriousness--it's hard, but just think about how worth it everything is! That helped me, anyways. I mean, what's a little waiting when you get an eternal companion out of the deal?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:00:29 AM »
Well....... if you remember we actually got married mid-semester, because waiting until April or May was too long.

The time went really fast actually from January to March - it was the year and a half when we were on opposite sides of the country that was slow torture.

Ha ha, I just asked J.T. this question and he said "Lived in different states." And there was school and cake-choosing, and invitations, and receptions and really by that point we were still just estatic to get to SEE each other every day.  And the week BEFORE the wedding, he went out of town (to the GDC).

Sooo, I guess my advice is to focus on how happy you are to have found the right person and to be getting married.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
I waited untill my wife had a nervous breakdown and relapse into drinking (A week before the wedding) thanks to the stress of planning and the involvement of our parents. Then later after going to counseling and waiting to see if she could stay sober we just decided to elope.

Eloping was much, much, much better.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »
We just had a really short engagement.  From the time we met till the time we got married was about four months.

Hi!  I'm from Utah!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 06:20:54 PM »

Eloping was much, much, much better.

Yeah, thanks for telling your best man,  inconsiderati!.
;D

We did a 14 month engagement and planned/paid for a decent sized (120 guest) wedding ourselves.  It was easy to get over the waiting because it seemed there was always SOMETHING ELSE to do and not enough time to do it!  

We also took secret Dance lessons so that we could wow all the guests at our first dance, rather than look like the notorious non-dancer I have the reputation for...  

Course, got married Catholic so we HAD to have a minimum 6mo engagement while we did all the steps required.

***And also, I promise to never swear again.
***Though I modded the mod so it kept the original flavor  (Flagelates self for not minding terms)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 09:58:47 AM by D66 »
Alles!!!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »
We just had a really short engagement.  From the time we met till the time we got married was about four months.

Hi!  I'm from Utah!

I would just like to say that I harbored a deep and burning hatred for people like you all throughout my engagement.  

I'm mostly over it now, though.  Um, and my mom really liked On Second Thought.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 06:39:13 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »
Fell was pretty close to the same as me -- from meeting to marraige was five months (I think -- it might be six...)  Dr. Laura probably hates us both, but that's fine -- I don't like her either.

And I'm glad she liked On Second Thought...  (your mom, not Dr. Laura).
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »
The friend I've been in town for, who got married last Thursday, knew her now-husband seven weeks before they got engaged, and their engagement was about a month and a half. So they met mid-September, and are now married--what's that, 3 1/2 months?

Not my style. Long courtship, short engagement, I say. Though not too long.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 08:13:30 PM »
Yeah, thanks for telling your best man,  you silly head.

Yeah well, we were at the courthouse anyway getting the marriage certificate, and the JP was right next door. It was much easier that way. Of course I should have told someone about it before we got to VA beach... but you know the honeymoon seemed more important.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
My wife and I got married 20 years after we met.  And it wasn't frustrating waiting all that time because I was clueless for most of it.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 09:20:17 PM »
I can trump most of you on the frustrating wait.

My wife dumped me at least 3 times in the 6 months between engagement and marriage.

It may not be the longest, but it was pretty close to the crappiest (Jeffe may have me beat on that).

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 09:27:37 PM »
The only crappy thing was the alcoholism.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 10:39:53 PM »
I can trump most of you on the frustrating wait.

My wife dumped me at least 3 times in the 6 months between engagement and marriage.

It may not be the longest, but it was pretty close to the crappiest (Jeffe may have me beat on that).

Yeah, that sucks a lot.  Why did she keep changing her mind?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 10:57:58 PM »

Hi!  I'm from Utah!

I love to say that Steve and I dated for a month before we were engaged. It was just weird to me because we said we were going to take it slow . . . and didn't. Which I understand is not really all that unusual.

As for surviving. . . . I think I did go crazy. What with miscommunication between parents, stressing out about arrangements and money, it was a little nuts. But it was really nice to have that letter from the temple that they sent after our date was scheduled, because that's the important part. That 15 min ceremony is all that needs to happen.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy