Author Topic: Favorite Sci-fi Television Series  (Read 4688 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Sci-fi Television Series
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »
You all need to watch more Farscape. I'm saddened that it hasn't even been mentioned yet, as it's one of the best sci-fi series I've ever seen.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
Yah, but i've not watched it for ages. There is no season 4 big boxed set, so i have yet to see season 4.

Season 3 was brilliant though. It did have some very dodgy episodes (that one where they imitated Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels for example, and the cartoon episode) scattered in among the gold.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 05:34:47 PM »
I saw my very first episode of Farscape the other day, and I have to say that I don't know what all the hype is about.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
Yeah, well, your just biased against anything that doesn't have a Garand M1 in it, arn't you?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 06:17:38 PM »
No - I heartily enjoy SF stuff.  I was just surprised, after hearing how great the thing was, that it was just a regular old show with so-so special effects and nothing-special acting.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.  It didn't make me terribly interested in watching it again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 06:18:08 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »
I thought that for a Sci-fi channel show (lower buget then network stuff) the special effects were pretty good, they were defenitly a lot better then the crap that was in any Joss Whedon tv show.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 08:25:37 PM »
Andromeda

Hercules

Stargate SG-1 (Stargate Atlantis in August, this should be intersting.)

Tru Calling- This show is on the WB. I saw an episode last night and it was actually rather interesting. The premise is that this girl can somehow travel back a day or something in time and try to fix someones problem. Usually the person from dying, since she works in a morgue. I didn't see the first episode so I'm not sure why she can do whatever she can.

Can't really think of any other ones I've liked.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 08:37:43 PM »
You all need to watch more Farscape. I'm saddened that it hasn't even been mentioned yet, as it's one of the best sci-fi series I've ever seen.

I've watched 4 or 5 episodes and it just didn't do anything for me. I never really felt any attachment to the characters or anything.  Why   It seems to me I'd have to force myself to watch a lot of it before I became a fan and that seems wrong.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 08:37:55 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »
Never seen one episode of Farscape, myself. And they just shut off our SciFi channel (we had been getting it by mistake), so I don't think I'll be seeing it any time soon.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2004, 09:35:45 PM »
As for Farscape, I've been told the same thing--you need to watch a whole seeson before you get into it.  I tried, but I only got halfway before I got boord.  It wasn't terrible, but you're right--I just had a LOT of trouble liking any of the charachters.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Heahengel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 12:13:52 AM »
My reply was based on the 'live-action' stipulation.  If you include anime, then my favorites are Evangelion and Boogiepop Phantom.  Cowboy Beebop is really good, but I'd say a tier below my favorites.

By the way, I've seen the first few eps of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I really liked it.  Its action oriented, not contemplative like the film, but that works better for a TV show anyway (I really like the film, but I still haven't made up my mind about whether it was exceptionally intelligent or not).

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 01:49:45 AM »
Cowboy Bebop rocks.  But there's lots of good anime, and it's not in the same category as American prime-time, you know?

Which is why I specified live-action shows in the first place.  
/me looks accusingly at Entropy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 01:51:06 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 11:54:29 AM »
I like Farscape quite a bit, once Tage showed me some of his DVDs (I never had cable when it was actually on). It's miles beyond, say, Firefly, but I still prefer DS9 as a character-driven space drama.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »
I like Farscape, particularly after Crichton starts going insane. I like Stargate SG-1, but I've only seen a few episodes. The Star Trek series are just classic, though some of the series I like better than others, such as TNG and DS9. Haven't had a chance to really get into Firefly. I like Smallville and X-files. I'm getting into Alias, but mostly because I think Jennifer Garner is hot. Overall, I don't think I can really pick a favorite.

Now, if we can include fantasy series, I would have to add Angel, Buffy (excluding seasons 4, 6 and 7), and Highlander.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2004, 02:38:36 PM »
DS9 is better than Farscape, yes.

Fellfrosch