Author Topic: Article: Evangelion  (Read 2378 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Article: Evangelion
« on: June 08, 2004, 10:49:26 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=767

I'm just going to put all these in one place, since presumably JP will be writing reviews of the rest of the series.

I still havent' seen it. I still don't really know what it's about. Is this series great in the sense that "Akira" was great (I'm not drawing parallels or saying they're just as good as each other) or great in the sense that LotR was great?

What I mean is, there's anime that's good, for anime. Then there's anime that's good as a film. Do I have to be an anime fan to enjoy Evangelion?

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Article: Evangelion
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:09:31 PM »
Actually, you're probably better off as a film fan to enjoy Evangelion. It's waaay more complex than most anime, although it does incorporate a lot of Akira type weirdness. Although, the weirdness is eva is more like David Lynch - you can make something out of it if you try really hard, but for most you wouldn't bother.

I'm tempted to compare Eva favourably as film, but that's a bit presumtuous. That said, it's more like film than anime. Don't go in just for Giant Robots, or you WILL be disapointed. It's a psychological drama, not a giant robot show.

For what is really about, check my first review. Basically, it's about a boy growing up, and coming to terms with himself, the world, and his own sexuality. And it's about Anno trying to explain his life. And it's a comment on human lonliness.

I would very much reccommend seeing it, although as Spriggan (I think) siad, if you only want to buy a single anime, buy Cowboy Bebop instead.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:14:33 PM »
Evangelion is the Finnigan's Wake of anime.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:57:10 PM »
Evangelion is the Finnigan's Wake of anime.

*blink*
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »
It's a very accurate comparison if you've watched the series and have been forced to read James Joyce.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:16:33 PM »
James Joyce, yes.  Evangelion, no.

Sounds like a great topic for a paper though.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:16:46 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Heahengel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:02:11 AM »
It's a very accurate comparison if you've watched the series and have been forced to read James Joyce.

I agree.  Great comparison (although a bit extreme).

I dissagree about some of what JamPaladin said.  Eva makes sense to me, but maybe I'm in the minority there.  Maybe you can't make out everything in the first viewing, but after seeing it more than once, I think everything there is intelligible.  Also, this isn't the only anime show that is so philosophical/dense.  Possibly Boogiepop Phantom, and definitely Lain, are harder to understand, in my opinion.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 01:06:13 AM »
I hold to my belief that "complex" and "deep" are two different things, the difference being skill. That said, however, Evangelion is pretty good and worth a look (though I agree that, if you only see one anime, make it Bebop. For that matter, if you only see one TV show, make it Bebop).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 10:24:54 AM »
and JP finally got around to reviewing disc 6

Maybe it's the anti-anime fanboy in me. But I can't even follow the plot summaries.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 12:27:03 PM »
I wasn't aware that Evangelion actually had a plot. Well at least not a linear plot. If there is a plot, it has to be imposed by the viewer, cause I don't think that it has one adherent plot.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 12:44:07 PM »
SE, do you mean you're anti-anime?  Or anti- "anime fanboy"?

I only ask because I thought I was the only person on the site that finds anime repulsive, and am hoping to find a comrade.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 12:48:48 PM »
"Then that shall be my epitaph: 'Here lies the one who undermined all language'!"

Uhm.. anti "anime fanboy". I don't find Anime particularly attractive, and I think most of what passes for "great animation" is stuff that's no better than what you saw on your crap 80's cartoons but is hailed as great just because it was made in Japan. But there are a few good examples of it. Just like most American tv and animation is crap and there are a few stand outs.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 01:28:02 PM »
HoM, I'm not completely anti, but I am completely apathetic, so you'd have an ally, if I cared at all.  :D
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 10:08:23 PM »
There's a plot, but it's hard to follow because the obvious bits are just placeholder plot, but the mina plot is heavily mystery based. I can tell you from watching the Director's cut disc one last night that these explain it muc, much, better.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy