Author Topic: Grumpy things go here  (Read 30444 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Grumpy things go here
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2005, 08:34:34 PM »
My condolences, also.

I'm currently grumpy because DJ Tiësto has a beautiful orchestral piece in the first three minutes of "Forever Today" that he really should have made its own piece.  It's so beautiful... instead he turns it into a Trance piece which just isn't as strong (especially at the intro) as the original orchestral piece.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 08:34:49 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2005, 12:23:12 PM »
I'm grumpy because I just remembered that the BYU Writers for Young Readers Conference is going on this week, and I'm not attending this year. I went last year and it was awesome and I desperately wanted to go this year, at least to the afternoon sessions at half-price, but when I was "let go" from work it became apparent that I wouldn't even be able to go to half the conference.

I'm sad.  :'(
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2005, 12:39:36 PM »
There were going to be some amazing people at that conference this year, too, if I remember right. I haven't ever been able to go to it. I graduated  and moved away the year I found out it existed, and have never been able to make it back for it. What authors were going to be there? Wasn't Garth Nix one of them? I'm really, really sad about not remembering and planning for that (well, like I'd be able to make it down to Utah this week anyway). You should try and sneak into Garth Nix's main address or something.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »
Actually, the one you're thinking of hasn't happened yet. It is July 15-16, so there is still a chance you can come. And *yes* Garth Nix is coming. But I'll be out of town! I might have been able to sneak in, because I'm a BYU student (Chris Crowe said if you go the day of and show your student ID and there is space they sometimes let you in), but I'll be at Newport Beach. Here is the link if you want info. This is the Reading Conference, the one I missed is the week long writing conference where you can workshop with a published author in the morning and then go to really great panels and lectures in the afternoon. I was hoping at least to go to the afternoon general meetings, but it was still $200 (instead of $400 for the whole conference)--both prices which are really cheap considering what you get, but still too much for me. If you want to plan to go next year, here is the link for the current writing conference.

I think EUOL was going to be at the booksigning of the Reading Conference. Maybe he will get a book signed by Garth Nix for me--I love Sabriel, it's an awesome darker YA fantasy. The sequels are okay, but Sabriel is fabulous.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:34 PM »
I'm gonna have to see about going to that. I'm going to Chicago next weekend, so traveling down to Utah in a couple more weeks may be too much. Is it just a Friday-Saturday thing?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »
I'm grumpy because I sweat very easily and just spent the last 90 minutes playing around in the plenum. I feel gross.

Also, Warmachine hasn't arrived yet.

edit: also, ArMs doesn't like to let me use apostrophes. That means no contractions. Grrr...

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2005, 07:09:48 PM »
I'm gonna have to see about going to that. I'm going to Chicago next weekend, so traveling down to Utah in a couple more weeks may be too much. Is it just a Friday-Saturday thing?

Yes, the Reading Conference is just two days--Friday and Saturday.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2005, 07:32:23 PM »
I'm grumpy because I just remembered that the BYU Writers for Young Readers Conference is going on this week, and I'm not attending this year. I went last year and it was awesome and I desperately wanted to go this year, at least to the afternoon sessions at half-price, but when I was "let go" from work it became apparent that I wouldn't even be able to go to half the conference.

I'm sad.  :'(

This is the first year I've been in town for the conference, and I'm broke and couldn't afford to go either.  Hmph.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2005, 09:01:09 PM »
I'm grumpy because I bought a bunch of Father's Day cards to send out, and the conveyor belt at the checkout ate them.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:05 PM »
I'm grumpy because I haven't talked to Oldie Locks in forever and I feel like a terrible friend.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2005, 04:50:18 AM »
That's right! It's Father's Day on Sunday. I have to go get a card or something for my dad and mail it tomorrow.

I would have forgot without Oldie Locks reminder. I think I'll go post that on the Happy Thread.  :)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2005, 10:30:44 AM »
Now I'm grumpy because my Neil Young has a gouge in it. Every time I clean it I get *more* jitter.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2005, 11:43:46 AM »
That's right! It's Father's Day on Sunday. I have to go get a card or something for my dad and mail it tomorrow.

Oh, me too. It's bad this year, too, because I usually forget my parents in equal amounts and just call on Mother's Day and Father's Day respectively. This year, I sent my mom and stepmom flowers. Which means Dad will be disappointed if I don't remember him with more than a phone call. Augh! The responsibilities of being responsible!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2005, 11:47:42 AM »
I'm also grumpy because my car, while not technically broken yet, is going to cost thousands of dollars to fix.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2005, 11:49:46 AM »
Yea, I forgot my dad's BIRTHDAY. How terrible is that? I can remember everyone elses in the family, but I always seem to forget my dad's--I know it is near the beginning of April, but I can't recall the date. Sometimes it's like my memory is being selective on purpose. I need to practice an association with it. Like I remember my mother's because it is one day after my best friend's, and it is easier to remember one date (or two dates close together, I guess) than to remember two. (Coincidently, this friend's birthday is one of only two friends birthdays I can remember. I just don't have a memory for dates. I need a calendar--but then I know that I would forget where I put the calendar!)

So anyways, to make it up I *must* send my dad something.