Author Topic: Piskies, Spriggans, and Other Magical Beings  (Read 1627 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Piskies, Spriggans, and Other Magical Beings
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:21:33 PM »
Just found this book as I was looking for a folklore collection for an assignment. Thought it was pretty fun, as I'd never seen the word "Spriggan" elsewhere beside's here. It's a collection of Cornish tales. There are two tales in the collection about spriggans, "The Widow and the Spriggans of Trencrom Hill" and "Scaring off the Spriggans." Sprig himself probably already knew this, but apparently spriggans are little elves. According to the intro to the spriggan section, "No Cornishman ever mistook a Spriggan for a Piskie. Or vice versa. Piskies were mischievous; spriggans were mean. Mean and ugly."

"Spriggans were just as wicked as they looked Cornish mothers sometimes told their children that Old Bloody Bones, an especially nasty Spriggan, would come and snatch them from their beds if they were not good."

"The name Spriggan means 'sprite,' and it was claimed that Spriggans were the spirits of the long-gone giants. It's certain that the Spriggans were the guardians of the giants' buried treasure, and they would let no others near these riches. ... It was safer by far to tangle with a hive of angry bees than ever to stir up a swarm of Spriggans."

Heh.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Piskies, Spriggans, and Other Magical Beings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:36:39 PM »
It was safer by far to tangle with a hive of angry bees than ever to stir up a swarm of Spriggans."

Yeah, they might try to spell at you :)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
Hahahahaha!
20 points for SE!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:39:15 PM »
There are spriggans in dnd Fiend Folio.  They are like these little irish looking goblin/gnomes that have the ability to turn to giant size.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 08:02:34 PM »
Ya I know about mythical Spriggans, though that's not where my name comes from (though its inspired by it), it comes from my Favorite Manga Spriggan.  Basicaly a group of people, most with mystical powers (one is a werewolf, the main guy I guess you could say is a Sampsonite from the bible.  He's got an anchet hebrew artifact that makes him stong and hard to kill) that protect anchent artifacts, some that are magical (the grail, noah's arc, the crystal skulls).  So you can see where the stament "Spriggans were the spirits of the long-gone giants" and "guardians of the giants' buried treasure" fit into the equasion.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 01:14:15 AM »
and all this time I thought you named yourself after the annoying evil faerie folk from the Palladium RPG.... ;D
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!