Author Topic: Michael Jackson  (Read 1990 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Michael Jackson
« on: June 14, 2005, 01:20:08 AM »
Just wondering what everybody thinks about the verdict, et. al.  Is this the next O.J.?  I was off in a writing conference all day, and I just found out about it.  I assume you all have an opinion.  Mine is simple.  I don't know if he did it or not.  I think he's nuts, but I could easily see Jacko playing with ten year old boys because they're the ones who are closest to him, mentally speaking.  I think Sneddon had it out for the guy, and while Jackson clearly has some problems, I'm not convinced child molestation is one of them.  But hey--I also thought OJ might be innocent.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 01:20:36 AM by Parker »

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Jackson
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 01:33:30 AM »
It's very easy to look at a Jury decision with non-Jury eyes and cry "The System Failed"

Just remember
Reasonable Doubt
Burden of proof is on the Accuser.  

Do I believe that it is ABSOLUTLY PROOVEN that MJ is a Criminal Pedophile?
No

Do I believe that he Probabaly is and that NO PARENT should ever let their child near him?
Yes
Alles!!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:50:07 AM »
I really don't care much about this except I'm giddy it wasn't a hung jury so I didn't have to go through this again.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:13:31 AM »
YEah, I was pretty pleased that it was OVER.

Did I think he was going to get off?
Yeah, pretty much from day 1.

Was I disappointed when it happened anyway?
YEah, pretty much.

Will I continue to not listen to anything he does?
Yeah, pretty much.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:38:17 AM »
I just want you all to remember that no one's gonna save you from the beast about to strike.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:51:07 AM »
Is that a quote from one of his songs?

I'm with Oseleon on this one, pretty much exactly.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 12:48:49 PM »
Ditto. I'm glad, because MJ said pretty much flat out that if he were not allowed to be around children again, he'd commit suicide.  I didn't want that to happen and then have him be turned into a martyr.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
Did he say that in public? 'Cause if he did, it'd be enough to show that he's possibly suicidal and possibly crazy enough to so something like that around a child.

He should NOT be allowed to spend unsupervised time with children.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 12:25:16 AM »
I think it is well established that he is crazy.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 04:42:00 AM »
Just look at his face.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »
Can you really call that his face anymore?  It seems like it is a community face between a bunch of surgeons at this point.

I honestly don't care what the verdict is for M. Jackson.  At all.  I think it is sickening how much media attention things like this get, however.   I would be more comfortable connecting this case to, say, the Martha Stewart case than to OJ's case, though all three were celebrity cases, OJ was on trial for murder in a state and time in which I believe there was a death penalty, so he did get extra media coverage because of his fame, but I think that it was more logical than shooting film of what Martha Stewart did during house arrest and putting it on the national news.  

Jackson's case was more of a "hey, we can make a fuss out of this and waste airtime" deal (not that I am saying child molestation is a small deal, but you wouldn't likely air a hobo on trial for child molestation, while you might air his murder trial) than a "this is a huge deal AND the guy is famous, people are going to want to know about this" case. All three cases mentioned above show that too much media time is spent on celebraties, however.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 12:15:50 PM »
On a side note, this morning this thread was right under the "More on Action Figures" thread, and as I glanced at the page I saw "Michael Jackson Action Figures." I think that's all I need to say.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 12:32:35 PM »
the similarity is this:

celebrity minority getting off for a crime they probably did commit

I don't think hobo murder trials would get nearly as much air time. When was the last time you heard more than a single sound bite on a hobo murder?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 01:02:19 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if a jury decided he was innocent, then sitting here and saying, 'Well he's still a pedo' smacks of judging a book by it's cover. Not exactly the same, but similar. The fact remains that they considered a rather vast amount of evidence and came to a certain conclusion. When one member of the jury has sex abuse in her family history, shouting about bias probably isn't the greatest comment ever.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 01:25:19 PM »
no, the *didn't* necessarily come up with a certain conclusion.
In fact, the only way you can say it's a certain conclusion is if they find a guilty verdict.
Finding a perosn not guilty in the American justice system means that they found some "reasonable doubt" that he did it. Even if they are of the opinion that he probably did do it, they must find him not guilty if they have any reason to doubt that he did. That is not a certain conclusion.

Based on Jackson's history, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. They aren't certain he didn't do it, but they have doubts that he for sure, positively DID do it. It's not much at all like you're describing.