Author Topic: What comics are you reading...?  (Read 2883 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
What comics are you reading...?
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:38:13 PM »
Aside from movie shopping today, I also went to a comic store and got some comics to help me with my Critical Theory paper.

Firstly I got the new Army of Darkness comic that's coming out. #1. I got the one with the cover by Paolo Rivera. There's 5 different ones altogether. It's neat. Picks up where AoD left off. I don't think they depicted the nerdy dude at the end too well. I know, the one who is Raimi's brother or whatever relative.

I picked up two Fantastic Four's, a 2 part with Spider-Man in it. Torch learns a little lesson in humiliation and what it's like to be a "loser" as he put it to Spider-Man.

And finally I got 3, of 5 parts of a series in the Avengers. Apparently it's about this woman who becomes the new? Captain Britian. It's also dealing with Wasp's having to deal with her new power or whatever to grow big now. Apparently she passes out after doing so too quickly.

So yeah, I'm getting back into the comic thing. Hopefully I'll sort of stick with it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: What comics are you reading...?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:16:59 AM »
I wish I had the money to buy comics again.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 10:40:19 AM »
Did you get #1 of the first AoD series or Shop Til You Drop Dead? Probably the first one since you said it picks up after the movie.
Mostly I stick with the Star Wars titles, Army of Darkness and Battle of the Planets. Occasionally I'll check out some weird monster/zombie thing. The Nocturnals is one of my favorites, but it's not regular series.
Been keeping up with the Space Ghot limited series too. It details his origin and is more along the lines of the original show than C2C.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 10:41:32 AM by Dex1138 »

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:48:37 AM »
$20 a week or month SE, thats all it'd take. That's it. Bug your wife to put it in your budget. I got 6 comics for $14.20.

It's the "Shop Till You Drop" one. Yeah, there's also an "Ashes to Ashes" one too I guess. Or was, or something. =P
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 11:59:19 AM »
yeah, I don't really have that.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 12:14:25 PM »
Yesterday I saw a bunch of Hellboy books I'd love to buy...and some Sin Cities...and the first Danger Girl collection...and basically I just saw a lot of comics that I want. Just so you know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 12:44:01 PM »
I wasn't very impressed by Danger Girl, frankly. I have some of the first issues when they were originally published. It's more skin than actual writing that sells that comic.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:29:13 PM »
Skin and action. The writing is average in terms of dialogue and theme, but the story and the pacing and the layout are all great.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 02:32:02 PM »
eh. I wouldn't give "average" to the writing. It's very disjointed at times.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 02:57:01 PM »
To each his own, I guess. I've read worse, and I'm a sucker for Bond-style swashbucklers anyway. I used to watch VIP all the time, so my opinion in the realm of "hot female spy teams" is probably very different from yours.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
well, i wouldn't say it's the worst ever, just not good enough. I'm all for sexy female spies, but Action Girl jumped around and didn't provide enough continuity or resolution. Even though I read Gen13 and Fathom I was rolling my eyes at Action Girl.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 05:13:22 PM »
Wait, I thought you had to be snobbish and elitest when talking about comics? I WANT BLOOD PEOPLE.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 05:25:03 PM »
/me makes a blood sacrifice of Entropy to the gods of sexy spy girl comics.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:35:33 PM »
Now that's a divine portfolio I think I could handle. Especially if it covers real sexy spy girls, rather than just comics about them. Either way, though, I'm good.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 11:42:44 PM »
Ok, so aside from your sex selling points or whatever, here's what I've picked up this week. Four #1 issues, and two that continue two others I currently have.

I picked up DCs "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" today. It's only a buck, so I suggest you hurry up and grab one before they're, you know, gone. Cover art by Alex Ross and Jim Lee.  Now for content. This comic continues from the point "Identity Crisis" sort of leaves off.

This issue follows the Blue Beetle. The plot is pretty cool, fairly straight-forward, and if you know anything about the Blue Beetle you may get some things moreso than I did. 80-pager. But that's not the coolest part. The coolest part is what this issue will introduce us to next month.

"Day of Vengence" I believe will be the Spectre and Captain Marvel duking it out for one reason or another. "The O.M.A.C. Project" has something to do with Batman and some sort of thing that was suppose to help him but instead it will be the DC Universe's greatest nightmare.

"Villians United!" continues the whole plot with villians like Deadpool, Luthor, Calculator, and some others who are pooling their resources to do something. Seems like it could be interesting. Finally there's the "Rann-Thanagar War." The ad art features Hawkman, Hal Jordan GL, and some guy named Adam Strange. Apparently the hawk people, aka the Thanagar's, have started a full-scale war with the world of Rann. This one I think may be my favorite just because of the bit of story included here.

I also got "Demon" #1 based on the fact, Kije and Fell will remember, that I got this guy's unique clix figure on my visit. Also got Ultimate Iron Man #1 because I liked the story I read when I borrowed from a friend and wanted to collect my own copy. Got Army of Darkness Shop Till You Drop Dead #2; a nice addition. I also picked up "Runaways" #1 and 2. This was based on the fact that I A) liked what I saw flipping through, and B) needed something Marvel that wasn't completely just cliche-ed.

There you have it. More next week as I walk through their valley of red once again. !
                William S. Burroughs