Games > Role-Playing Games

1st ed. DnD

<< < (2/3) > >>

Harbinger:
I think one could still do that sort of thing, as long as players are willing to consider different definitions to "defeating" an enemy. If the goal is to get the item, who cares whether you kill the big bad or sneak around it? I'd give same xp either way.
Especially if the guardians are home-brew Shadow Golems, that have +15 to hit, do 3d12+20 damage, are nearly impossible to hit, and when they kill something they send its soul to Gehenna, no save.
And the PCs are 3rd level in a low-magic campaign setting.
And the level/CR disparity is such that they don't get XP for "defeating" them.
Of course, it could be argued in that case that they're not supposed to fight the bad guys....
:D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
well, 3ed+ supposedly already has that in place. But seriously, you've got to make it ridiculously easy for them to sneak around if you've got a creature that powerful -- it's not really good GMing to do that to them, imo.

Harbinger:
It was ridicuously easy. The things didn't move at all until the PCs grabbed the item, and once they did, only one attack was made the first round -- against an animal companion, to show how insanely nasty and unbeatable these things were. When the PCs ran, the golems only made double moves. It was all flavor, unless anyone was suicidal enough to try and fight it out. Bad GMing? I don't know. Ask Eagle Prince or 42, they were the players there.
And thank you for reminding me that if it has to be explained, it's not funny.

Eagle Prince:
Strange, I was watching the Big Sleep this morning and was just thinking that you'd probably like it, Harbinger.  Humphrey Bogart with lots of witty jokes.

I don't remember all the details of this.  It seems like we were in some underground ruins by an old rock quarry or something, with giant insects.  Or might have been at the very end, when we climbed up the mountain, but I think we somehow got to lvl 6 by then and BJ was playing too, iirc.

We were up against a lot worse than those golems.  Everything the characters did was about sneaking around things that could smash them into oblivion, trying to gum up the works until our higher level characters could roll in and mop up.  It was more about commoners doing some heroic things to thelp the real heroes out.  My PC was still a teenager, and spent more time working a regular job than he did adventuring.

I've still never come up with a good name for my undertaker's spiked chain.

Harbinger:
Yeah, you climbed up the mountain to reach some ruins, right at the end of the campaign. I thought someone else was there, but I didn't remember who. You might have leveled by then, I don't remember. Giant insects was different ruins, early on for those characters. Do you remember why we started new characters for everyone?

Another friend recommended Big Sleep to me a few months ago, it's a great movie. And I watched Night Watch not too long ago, I don't remember if I told you already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version