Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2004, part 2  (Read 8160 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: NaNoWriMo 2004, part 2
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »
I did 16k in a day once....

(End of a book.  By the time I get there, I know exactly what's going to happen.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2004, 04:59:27 PM »
well, i know it's not a world record or anything. But no one's posted numbers like that for one day THIS month in our group :)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
I'm going to cry.  I want to write, dang it!!!
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2004, 10:04:29 PM »
Write small bits, MsFish. That's how the bulk of mine gets done. In 250 word chunks. You might want to do it in even less. Try 100 word chunks. Then take a break and do something else, but only oNE something else. Then come back and write another 100 words
I found after my first few "forcing to write" 250 words (which is pretty easy to do), my chunks got bigger without really noticing. I'd hit "word count" to see how much I got done, and i'll see numbers like 1132 or something. it sneaks up on me.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2004, 10:06:31 PM »
Yeah, that's a good idea.  The problem is that I got distracted with huge massive decisions like dropping my minor and being finished after this semester (!!!) and my roommates having crises and the story I'm supposedly writing for 518...and now I feel like I'm so behind that I'll never catch up.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2004, 10:36:06 PM »
well, at 30008 I'm officially caught up with the minimum goal. Another 2k and I'm caught up with *my* goal of 2k/day excepting Sundays. I reckon I'll get another 4k tomorrow, putting me right on track.

I've written 17785 words this week, so far. Still have two days to work on it. I think I will have written half of my entire manuscript in one week before I'm done.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2004, 12:01:10 AM »
Okay. So, I talked to a couple other classmates, who said they turned in NINE pages and 23 pages, respectively. So my 15 pages etc. is just fine. I really overstressed it. But at least I have that much done. And I'm not going to think about it till after FHE Monday night. I have a different assignment due on Monday, and you know what? Tonight I'm not doing *anything.* Well, I mean, I just got back from hearing Katherine Paterson speak, so that's not nothing, but it was relaxation.

Speaking of whom, I think I'll post my notes from it tomorrow--I think you guys will like what she had to say. Title of the talk was "Are You There, God? Asking Big Questions in Children's Literature." She wrote Bridge to Terabithia and Jacob Have I Loved, among others. It was really good--entertaining, uplifting, and a good deal of information on craft and expressing faith in that craft.

Anyway, my total for today (and I'm kind of cheating, because I'm counting my new draft because I had to really start afresh for form): 13118.

Which means 6322 for today. But it's combination editing/writing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2004, 04:52:39 AM »
My boss has given me pointless paper work to do while I'm at work. Doesn't he realize that my time at work is better spent on NaNoWriMo?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2004, 05:23:25 AM »
When I worked the graveyard, my boss mentioned doing something like that a couple of times.

I told him--not as a threat, but as an honest expression of my feelings--that I would quit if he did.  No questions.  I would simply have to find other work.

In my opinion, they were paying me to throw off my sleep schedule and hamstring my social life.  The payoff was that I got to have free time to write my novels at work.

If they were going to take away that advantage, then there was no use in working the night shift.  If I was actually willing to WORK at work, I could get a better-paying job during much better hours.

This is not a suggestion.  When I took the job, I took it with the understanding that I could write at work.  My situation was different.  However, I still don't think you should have to do paperwork all night.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2004, 05:36:20 AM »
I'm blowing off a lot of the paperwork. Fortunately I work faster than most of the other employees when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm definitely faster than my boss. The deadline isn't until after Thanksgiving and I have more than half done what was expected of me already. Got to leave some for other shifts.

Course, I've already started sending out my resume to other places I that pay more and don't require such odd hours.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »
So I only got a little writing done, but it's better than nothing. Current 18,543 words. This week hasn't been too productive so far.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2004, 01:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the word block suggestion, Saint. I think that will really help me.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2004, 02:14:41 PM »
hey, it's what I"m here for. Like I said, sitting down and intending to write only a couple hundred words before moving on is how I've done my biggest word counts ever.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2004, 08:23:01 PM »
37,423 for me so far.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2004, 11:16:59 PM »
so it's been a few days since anyone has posted any numbers. That's probably largely my fault for not updating the calendar.

Sorry, the reason is that I've been writing
I'm creeping up on 43000 words, may hit it still tonight. Which means i have an excellent chance of hitting 50k before NaNoWriMo.org even activates the verification.

I'm well pleased.