Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 48845 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
But for the stars to be visible, wouldn't the mists have to disappear?  And wouldn't that affect Allomancy?  I hope the book doesn't end with Allomancy being destroyed and all the former Allomancers being regular people again.
He ate my horse.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
But for the stars to be visible, wouldn't the mists have to disappear?  And wouldn't that affect Allomancy?  I hope the book doesn't end with Allomancy being destroyed and all the former Allomancers being regular people again.

I've been searching for an hour now, and I can't find it.  Somewhere I believe there was a quote from Brandon saying that the magic systems would change drastically at the end of book 3.  I got the distinct impression that they would still work, but that it would take more effort/something would have to change about how you accessed the power.
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »
I really don't hope its that easy; just use the power of the well and everything is back to normal. It seems like it would cheapen all the effort and sacrifice of the characters in previous books.

I will admit I kinda felt this way towards the end of book two, when all the koloss are attacking. So many characters died, Sazed did all his cool stuff with feruchemy fighting off the koloss, and all Vin had to do was use Duralumin and sooth them.

It would have greatly alleviated the problem if perhaps she had to use Kredik Shaw somehow to control the koloss; maybe the Well would have given her the power, or perhaps she would stand silhouted in the sun standing on top of one of the spikes, mistcloak blowing behind her as she concetrates, using the concentrated power of the spikes to compel the koloss....
you can see I've thought about this  :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2008, 02:59:53 AM »
The first big change could come in the form of stars being visible at night. What better way to let the skaa know they don't have to fear the night than to provide a light?

Hmm, this is very hard to swallow, let me chew on it....

there,  ;D, the only they would be able to see the stars is if there wasn't any mist...i'm not sure how you expect that to happen during the duration of the book. However, if you mean at the very end, im sure the mist will be one of the few total changes--the rest i think will only just begin to change....
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »
Very good discussion, everyone. Sorry I couldn't take part in it, but I've been terribly busy.

T-18 days, anybody?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »
That was actually a good theory, by the way. Too good for me to get involved in.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
I really don't hope its that easy; just use the power of the well and everything is back to normal. It seems like it would cheapen all the effort and sacrifice of the characters in previous books.

I will admit I kinda felt this way towards the end of book two, when all the koloss are attacking. So many characters died, Sazed did all his cool stuff with feruchemy fighting off the koloss, and all Vin had to do was use Duralumin and sooth them.

It would have greatly alleviated the problem if perhaps she had to use Kredik Shaw somehow to control the koloss; maybe the Well would have given her the power, or perhaps she would stand silhouted in the sun standing on top of one of the spikes, mistcloak blowing behind her as she concetrates, using the concentrated power of the spikes to compel the koloss....
you can see I've thought about this  :P

Sounds more like you've Dreamt about it. :P
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »

I really doubt it's going to be that easy.  Afterall, Vin already used the WoA and from the sounds of it, it seems that it doesn't re-fill all too quickly.  Besides, I am a big advocate that TLR did, at one point (or he always), have great intentions.  He just took a wrong turn or two.  I have a feeling TLR was essentially covering up a problem (Ruin) by doing something drastic (using the well to essentially screw the world).  Vin and the gang are going to have to aim much further then TLR did.

That's just my opinion, though.

Very good discussion, everyone. Sorry I couldn't take part in it, but I've been terribly busy.

T-18 days, anybody?

I know this has been discussed in the HoA thread, but let's get something going here: Who do you think the Hero of Ages is?

The problem is that it's going to be very difficulty taking stabs at this one since all the things we know about the HoA could be tinkered with.  Gotta love Ruin.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:23:45 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »

I really doubt it's going to be that easy.  Afterall, Vin already used the WoA and from the sounds of it, it seems that it doesn't re-fill all too quickly.  Besides, I am a big advocate that TLR did, at one point (or he always), have great intentions.  He just took a wrong turn or two.  I have a feeling TLR was essentially covering up a problem (Ruin) by doing something drastic (using the well to essentially screw the world).  Vin and the gang are going to have to aim much further then TLR did.

T-18 days, anybody?

I know this has been discussed in the HoA thread, but let's get something going here: Who do you think the Hero of Ages is?

The problem is that it's going to be very difficulty taking stabs at this one since all the things we know about the HoA could be tinkered with.  Gotta love Ruin.

This has been established. It's Chaos2651. :).
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »

T-18 days, anybody?

Oh yeah, that's right. 

There is one thing I would like to say...I don't believe it's Vin.  I believe she will be very central in fighting Ruin, but I'm not 100% convinced that she is actually the HoA.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »

T-18 days, anybody?

Oh yeah, that's right. 

There is one thing I would like to say...I don't believe it's Vin.  I believe she will be very central in fighting Ruin, but I'm not 100% convinced that she is actually the HoA.

Here's a thought, since that HOA was supposedly intended to wield the power of the WOA, the idea of an HOA arising in the same sense can no longer be....

And since we know there still must be an HOA (as insinuated from the title of book three) we should ask ourselves HOW will the next HOA arise?

Hey, things are so broken up right now it could be that no single hero arises--Vin and Elend could team up and defeat the Ruin...

Everything is possible.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2008, 05:13:40 AM »

T-18 days, anybody?

Oh yeah, that's right. 

Here's a thought, since that HOA was supposedly intended to wield the power of the WOA, the idea of an HOA arising in the same sense can no longer be....

And since we know there still must be an HOA (as insinuated from the title of book three) we should ask ourselves HOW will the next HOA arise?

Hey, things are so broken up right now it could be that no single hero arises--Vin and Elend could team up and defeat the Ruin...

Everything is possible.

Holy quotage Batman!  There is a troublesome thing in the 'HoA' ascension through the WoA thing, though.  What if Ruin had made that part up to release himself?  Kwaan was pretty adamant about the fact that the Hero shouldn't give away the power (woops on Vin's part) but I think you're right elmandr, there must be something else.

Unless the HoA was TLR.  That could be a possibility as well.  The description of the book says that Elend and Vin go off looking for clues from TLR on how to defeat Ruin:  (aha found it)

Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world.
(as per Amazon,  :P)

And I know there is more to TLR's last few lines.  He was truly afraid of dieing but it seemed like he was concerned about more then his own life.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:16:22 AM by Wielder »
-Legacy of Kain

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2008, 05:50:02 AM »
Well... obviously. He kept Ruin at bay, and so by killing him, Ruin began to exert its influence over the world.

EDIT: All right, T-17 days?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:28:03 AM by Chaos2651 »

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
Too tired...

Brainstorm: Metal Lake

The metal lake gives some kind of power. Or it's where preservation is. Or it has the power to make a body for Ruin. It's where the mists come from.

Or it's just a really still lake with impurities that make it more reflective, giving it the appearance of metal, in which case what is important is what is near the lake.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
I don't know, I was of the opinion that the metallic lake was the Well of Ascension.