Author Topic: Gear Krieg  (Read 2046 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Gear Krieg
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 08:23:14 PM »
interestingly, Chosen managed to combine magic and sci-fi ok, for what little actual information they had. Which was, well, very little. They were just severely under-developed, but could have been done so well.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 11:07:21 PM »
My biggest problem with Gear Krieg, is that they never firmly committed to a setting. Normally I dont find this to be a huge deal really, but DP9's strength seems to be in making up setting information, metaplot, and subplots. Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles were famous for it. World War II is problematic because they dont know if they want it to be Indiana Jones, or the Rockteer, or Saving Private Ryan. Its actually kind of a problem with World War II games in general although there are tons of options.

In the end they settle on the first two, but fail pretty miserably (based on their past work) at making that part of the setting compelling. My advice, work in the War and drop a lot of the Pulp.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 12:54:22 AM »
If WWII is what you are looking for, Gear Krieg has several supplements out for the RPG, the first two being the Axis Sourcebook and the Allies Sourcebook.  There is also an African Campaign book (for thise wishing to match wits against the legendary Desert Fox, I'd expect), a Weird Science book, and a very detailed Heroes and Villains book (which is probably the best for getting the jist of what types of adversaries the players should be going up against).  Finally, there is the Gear Krieg Companion, which gives a smattering of a lot of different topics that might be of use to both game masters and players trying to set up a long-term campaign.  Hope this helps.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 11:35:30 AM »
sorry, but those arent for the RPG and have almost zero RPG info in them. Those books are for the miniature battle game. I have them all.

1st Edition Gear Kreig has exactly 3 books and one screen
The core book
a gm screen with a short adventure book
a superscience book.
and Hero's and Villians

Axis/ Allies/ Africa and GK companion are all wargame books.
They have no RPG stats, only a little organizational info and pages and pages  of Wargame statted vehicles and equipment, not RPG statted.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 11:37:51 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!