Author Topic: Review: Mekton Zeta Plus  (Read 2114 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Review: Mekton Zeta Plus
« on: July 06, 2005, 09:56:18 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1104

I want to build a robot that turns into a hand gun without regard for conservation of matter weilded by a robot (that turns into a tape player) who has equal disregard for conservation of matter, and with a storage compartment that functions like a bag of holding. Plus, although he's clearly insane, he tells all the cooler transforming robots (like the ones that turn into Jet fighters) what to do, and never suffers from a real mutiny.

Oh wait, that's been done. Maybe I'll make something more realistic. Like 500 meter tall humanoid robots that doing fall over when they suffer nuclear blasts to the head.

CivCube

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Mekton Zeta Plus
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
I had this great idea for a collectible "robot parts" game where players would build the ultimate EVA-style robot.

Guess that idea's already been taken.   :-/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:01:21 PM »
oh, I don't think so. This isn't a robot building competition, it's robot building for use in an RPG.

A high school friend was visiting this weekend and we started talking aobut Car Wars, because it was a game we played a lot long ago. The building of the car was almost more interesting (maybe it even was more interesting) than the actual competition. Which makes me wonder, why hasn't SJG come out with MechWars for the CarWars line. They have AeroDuel (airplanes, helicopters, blimps, etc), BoatWars (obvious), adn TankWars (all sorts of armored, but wheeled, vehicles). Seems like MechWars would be a logical next step.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
I agree, SE, it would certainly be a logical extension.  Then again, Battletech has had the constructible mech thing covered for years.

What seems more odd to me is that they don't release a new version of Car Wars with better rules.  Fifth edition was pretty much crap.

I've actually been working on a Car Warseque game on and off for a few years, but I've never finished it.  It started out using hotwheels cars and terrain but has slowly transferred to hexes and micromachines.  Maybe I'll finish it someday.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 05:24:32 PM »
well, I didn't like building stuff as much in BattleTech. CarWars is the only system that has inspired me to write an entire program for it  (in Pascal, 13 years ago, it was crap, been thinking lately of redoing it in PHP).

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:54:47 AM »
CarWars was fun, me and EUOL use to play it with Micromachines on his bedroom floor (which was unfinished wood) where we made a map of a arena with masking tape.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:13:25 AM »
THat is totally sweet.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 09:16:06 AM »
ya I'd say it was easly 2'x3' probaly bigger though.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 09:21:57 AM »
we used to throw my very large dice collection out on my friends pool table and then we had an arena. This made a big playing area, but with a LOT of obstacles hard to turn around, so speeds didn't get too high. It was a lot of fun.