Author Topic: review: The Island  (Read 3921 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: The Island
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:04:28 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1120

I confess that at first I didn't want to see this, but the more I see of it, the more I want to.

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Island
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:40:02 PM »
Is anyone else getting "Parts: the Clonus Horror" vibes from the previews?
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
yRe: review: The Island
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:29:28 PM »
I'd just like to mention that the Rock is Micheal Bay's best movie, and if you don't like that movie then you don't like mindless action flicks period.

The Island was much better then I would have thought it would be, I'm surprised it did so bad it's opening weekend though that's partially due to you couldn't tell what type of movie it was from the previews.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:58:31 PM »
When I saw the previews I started laughing. It looked like the matrix as filmed on the isle of man.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 10:37:31 PM »
As far as "The Rock" is concerned, I enjoy a good mindless action movie from time to time (I even own "Die Hard 2" on DVD), though I prefer one that has a bit of a brain to it.  But "The Rock"was REALLY mindless. The plot made no sense, and the action was horribly staged (the car chase scene where the corvette changes color is hysterical.). But I will say this: Nicolas Cage was great in the movie, and his presence made it seem better than it was. On the whole, I would rate it as one of Bay's better films, but I think it's still one of the weakest big budget action movies of the nineties.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 02:52:46 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »
Check this out.  Michael Bay is blaming everyone but himself for the flop of The Island (only 12.1 M).  He even say Ewan isn't a big enough star to carry the movie.  Ha!

http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/1640

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »
I saw The Island.  I liked it.  I certainly wouldn't see it in the theater again but I enjoyed it.  The problem, as with so many movies, is the concept could have led to something really amazing.  Unfortunately there were plot holes you could drive a truck through and it was fairly obvious that it was a sci-fi film directed by someone who has absolutely no idea how to work in the genre.  Not only were there plot holes but some of the worst were obviously just cheats designed to allow Bay to get in a couple more "action sequences"

I really hate that guy.

On that note, though, I'll say that I liked Pearl Harbor.  I know lots of people disagree with me but I've never heard a coherent objection to it besides, essentially, "I don't like films about war that don't portray soldiers on our side, or even the other side, as weak, stupid, or both."  
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:09:24 PM »
How about that despite being too long for the main plot, he stuffed so many underdeveloped plots and characters in that nothing had any substance? That was my problem with it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »
It was a boring film, with tiring wooden acting, that tried to cover far too much (and failed), and that unfailingly tried to present pearl harbour as a great american victory.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:37:24 PM »
I went to Pearl Harbor with a girl and she almost walked out due to the stupid love story in it, when you goto an action movie you don't want 60 minutes of sappy crap before anything blows up.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:02 PM »
"Pearl Harbor" was nothing more than a bunch of studio suits hypothisizing: what if they had to save Private Ryan from the Titanic? It featured the worst romantic dialogue I've ever heard: ("Life didn't ask me what I wanted. But I only hope that as a gaze out into the sunset, I can catch the last few rays, and send them to your heart.).  The love story was so deadly dull that by the time you got to the bombing sequence, you didn't care anymore, and the bombing sequence was played as sn action extravaganza, or in other words, for cheap thrills, which I found to be profoundly disrespectful to the real victims. Even survivors of the real bombing complained that it was nowhere near that exciting or loud. I also felt that the movie protrayed the Americans as perfect saints and the Japanese as inhuman monsters (apparently during the bombing of Tokyo, no actual people were hurt.). I hate war movies that don't portray the brutality and horrors of war. This was a Harlequin romance novel set in a WWII backdrop, and I think it was appalling.

Also, it featured Cuba Gooding, Jr, which is enough reason to hate any movie.

As far as "the Island," I do agree that it was a concept that could have been developed much better than it was. A better script and a better director, some seriosu rethinking to fix the plot holes, and they could have had one of the best movies of the summer.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 01:06:07 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 05:56:25 PM »
I hate war movies that don't portray the brutality and horrors of war.

That's a pretty close-minded point of view. Not all war movies should be horror stories.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »
/me has archon killed in a japanese pow camp

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 01:35:01 AM »
Archon -

Perhaps I am being misunderstood, or I didn't make myself clear, because I don't see how what I meant was narrow minded. There are many war movies, such as "Guns of Navarone," or even "U-571" that I have enjoyed purely as adventure films. But war itself is a horror story - whatever the cause, right or wrong, the fact that the war itself is taking place, and that people who don't know each other are killing people that are really not any different from them, is pretty horrific.  I just think it's irresponsible to portray war as something fun and exciting and romantic.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 05:19:04 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 02:04:45 AM »
Ok, that is a whole different story. I agree that it is disrespectful to pretend that wars are fought with a smile on everyone's face. As long as we aren't condemning movies just because they don't show all of the dirty parts of war. Because really, there are times when that just isn't necessary. Oh yeah, and...
*Archon drops both Little Boy and Fat Man on Entropy*
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus