Alternate Realities > TW(i)G

World creating

<< < (2/3) > >>

Spriggan:
Next things is the weather.  In the original write up SE wrote this:

--- Quote ---It is a wild and chaotic sea. Storms, often of typhoon status frequently traverse the surface, and it is nearly unheard of to cross the ocean without some sort of storm.
--- End quote ---

So here's my delema.  If the sea is that violent and stormy how come there aren't a lot more "green" Coasts in the south?  Looking at the original map you see that both Tarth and Parth are dry as sandpaper.  I'm assumeing that the Demon Cliffs (that large Island/mountain range) in the ocean north of them was ment to stop most of the storms headding that way.  And while that may stop hurricans from forming above them would that realy detur or prevent smaller storms from forming over the ocean and hitting the lands there.  Also the inland see that makes up part of Parth (where the Delta is) would also help keep storms away.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
maybe there's a curse. And while the storms hit the sea, they don't move inland.

Or perhaps they're just windstorms that close.

I don't know. I admit I hadn't thought of that at all.

Spriggan:
Well I would like to come to some solid consenus on this.  The weather here is probaly one of the most important aspects of the world since large parts live on the coasts in all places and not just Parth/tarth.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
yes, we should. I just don't have immediate ideas. I'd like suggestions on how to fix it. My curse and windstorm ideas are just brain storms

an expansion on the windstorm.. perhaps the desert is subject to many frequent harsh wind/sandstorms, and those keep the moisture from falling on the coasts very often, as the winds from the land push back the clouds. That way, you could even have WORSE storms off the coast of the desert, as the two weather systems mix.

Spriggan:
My biggest hang up is that unless we go with the magical angle I cannot write up some of this stuff unless I'm 100% sure I'm beaing as realistic as I can be.  I cant do it if it means people will read something and say that it's total BS.  I personaly hate that in books.

Edit: what if we do this--Have the center of the ocean be very violent (how far out from the center is something we can decide later, but I'd think 1/2 of the way to land on each side) and that's the cursed area.  The rest of the ocean is subject to normal weather, and sometimes magical storms would "shoot off" from the cursed waters.  That way we have the cursed waters and we don't have to bang our heads against walls trying to figure this stuff out.  That would still leave the center most Bask isle in very bad weather.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version