Author Topic: review: Magic of Incarnum  (Read 2034 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: review: Magic of Incarnum
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:08:50 PM »
So D&D has another magic system now?

I guess I'm all for new magic systems, otherwise I wouldn't bother reading EUOL's stuff.

Yet sometimes I miss the days when there were only two magic systems in D&D.

Oh well, new magic systems generate buzz and sell books.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:41:56 PM »
Only two?  Clerical magic in D&D 2nd was virtually the same as magery.

Edit:  I haven't proofread yet, but I'll get to it.  NaNo is sucking my blood dry, and I've a meeting here in Montréal in less than 2 hours to attend.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:42:29 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 07:13:37 PM »
I'm not sure it would work too well as a complete replacement to the magic system.  I could maybe see psionics replacing wizard/cleric, but not incarnum.  There is no fireball, no disintigrate, no meteor swarm or anything like that.  You can make incarnum gloves that let you find traps and give you insane bonuses to disable device, search, sleight of hand, etc.  There is a soulmeld that makes a cloak so all of your movement is on the ethereal plane, so you could run through walls or something creepy like that.  Or a vest that I think gives you permanent true sight.  There is only about 5 soulmelds that deal damage, and they are usually 1d6 per invested essentia.  You can only invest 4 essentia even at level 20, but some of the Incarnate abilities could up that to 6.  Still, 6d6 at 20th level, not exactly an evoker.  Their power comes from versitility, not blowing stuff up like a wizard or psion.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 09:40:29 PM »
sounds interesting.  i might like to try that out in our next campaign.  hopefully something in eberron, that would be 2 new things to try out for our group.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
I'm not sure that replacing a wizard with something that does the same is what I'd have in mind by removing that magic system. I'd replace it to have a completely different flavor, rather than just another method of getting at the same thing.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:05:19 PM »
Anyone tried out this magic system yet?  There is a new article on the D&D website called Psionics of Incarnum about combining psionics and incarnum.  I only mention it because you will see Jax Ryan at the top cause I helped make it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.