Author Topic: Help! I need somebody.  (Read 7041 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Help! I need somebody.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 07:45:54 PM »
what he's majoring in is largely irrelevant. He's 18, and that will change 3 or 4 times. We all know that he's going to have to face the music and start doing research, but for another year or so he's still going to whine about that.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 07:47:19 PM »
its english isn't it.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 08:03:08 PM »
Whe I took the class that EUOL now teaches (ages ago) I wrote my research paper on Native Americans and the religious use of Peyote.  It was kind of interesting, and the teacher liked it.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 08:24:49 PM »
If you don't like politics, then don't write about it. The problem is that English instructors tend to like politics because there is a lot of writing about politics. However, this is rarely a requirement for english papers though many students assume that it is.

So right about theater or movies or whatever interest you. In fact, I usually find unusual topics end up being more interesting to research and write about. If you pick a topic about something that you don't really care to know more about, then you will have trouble with the paper.

As an example, I was in a english class long ago and in a educational institution not so far away. We had to write two research papers. I wrote the first on freedom of speech. Bad idea. When I only got a B, my instructor simply said that I wasn't bringing anything new to the argument. My next paper I wrote on the conflict between science fiction and fantasy with traditional "literature." The instructor loved it and said he hadn't read anything like it before. I got an A.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 08:27:34 PM »
My next paper I wrote on the conflict between science fiction and fantasy with traditional "literature." The instructor loved it and said he hadn't read anything like it before. I got an A.

Yes, a paper with a topic that the prof hasn't read a million times already is always a good thing.  That sounds like a cool paper, 42.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 08:31:13 PM »
It was later published in Leading Edge. It's not that great to people who know about science fiction and the like, but to an uneducated philistine it's quite interesting.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 08:38:46 PM »
I would think uneducated philistines would find professional wrestling interesting.  Or Monster Truck Madness.  But not essays on literature.

I'm not saying that only uneducated philistines can enjoy Monster Truck Madness.  Anybody can.  But the enjoyment ability of an uneducated philistine would be limited to these more basic appeals (violence, size, big wheels) and wouldn't exactly include the nuances of modern fiction.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 09:01:48 PM »
Liberal Arts.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 09:11:25 PM »
My definition of uneducated philistine is anyone who does not study the things I study. Hence, my instructor was an uneducated philistine for not being a science fiction/fantasy geek.

I had an instructor once who refered to all non-visual art majors as uneducated philistines and some who were va majors.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 09:16:26 PM »
Cool, I get to be an uneducated philistine!

"Art? Smash art with rock! Scribble on painting with crayon!"
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2003, 10:30:58 PM »
Ah, but Fuzzy, that's called performance art!  So you can't be an uneducated philistine any more...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2003, 10:41:23 PM »
You can't be an uneducated philistine. It's everyone else who is the uneducated philistine. Now practice say this: "I am the center of the universe, you are an uneducated philistine." Soon you will have suns rotating around you in no time and be ready to take your place as a college professor.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2003, 10:05:59 AM »
I was only asking for a topic that may seem interesting and whatforthnots. Not for the queen of england and all her royal pains to be shoved down my throat. A simple question turned into such.
                William S. Burroughs

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 12:55:13 PM »
Gemm, if you can't take it, don't ask for it.

However, now you've got it, so quit your whinning.

I think 42 has some really good ideas. Pick a movie you really like and see if you can find any articles about the drama behind the scenes. Gone With the Wind had at least 3 different directors and Viven Leigh hated most of them.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2003, 06:01:48 PM »
Nightmare Before Christmas? I've just seen it again and I loved it once again.
                William S. Burroughs