Author Topic: High heels, interviews, and other sundry rants  (Read 6978 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: High heels, interviews, and other sundry rants
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2003, 08:17:34 PM »
/me inches away from entropy nervously
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 08:40:30 PM »
I wear a tux for the show I'm in right now (actually it's tux pants with a dinner jacket, but I've got the cummerbund and suspenders and bow tie and all of that with it) and while it isn't the most comfortable thing I do have to admit that it does look kind of sharp, and I'm willing to go to the trouble to wear it on those occasions where I'd like to look especially sharp.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 08:44:53 PM »
I wore a black pierre Cardin shirt with a nice pair of virgin wool slacks to work today,... and then changed into my crappy cotton and polyester blend uniform.... oh yeah at least my pants were wool as well.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 11:45:29 PM »
Ok, the thing is: why do you voluntarily pay for and wear something that you KNOW is so uncomfortable you can't even keep them on for very long?

My problem is that when I buy them, I don't realize they're going to be uncomfortable--it's after walking in them for a while. And this particular pair of shoes (real leather, more expensive than Payless, BTW, MoD--but not good enough, obviously) have been hanging around in my closet because I don't have the heart to throw them out, since they're so new-looking. The thing is, when you're broke, you rationalize away getting the new comfortable shoes, since there are so many other things you should be spending money on, like rent and food.

MoD, I do wish you could go shoe-shopping with me. I own a pair of Docs that are even more uncomfortable than the 3-inch heels, if you can believe it. The shoe store didn't have the right size, and the salesman convinced me that I could put another notch in the latch (they're Mary Janes) and wear insoles to make up the difference, but it doesn't change the fact that they're half an inch too long.  ::)

I just don't have sense when it comes to shoes, I guess--as Tage rightly guessed. Everything seems like a good idea in the store, and I hate shopping so much that if it seems comfortable enough in the store, I'm okay with it.

And most of all, if you're going to do the thing you know is going to cause pain, then don't expect sympathy when you get some pain or discomfort.

Well, I my post was under Rants--sometimes you just have to vent, especially when there are no roommates home. So, you guys bear the brunt of Belle having class today.  ;D
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 12:14:22 AM »
well, from what I understand, heels = uncomfortable.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 12:50:41 AM »
yes, heels are evil. Except ballroom dance shoes.  I personally cannot walk more than five feet in high heeled shoes before tripping, unless they are my ballroom dance shoes.  This is because the ones marketed in stores have the heel coming straight down from the back of the heel.  Dance shoes are balanced so that the heel slopes down from the back and you balance more towards the middle of your heel (much more natural!)  I just wish that someone would make heels that are balanced like dance shoes but don't have suede soles...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 10:24:37 AM »
/me does a quadruple take...
" Four Women on a board mostly devoted to guyish nerd things, who would have thunk. This makes me so Happy! Theres hope!"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 11:08:04 AM »
easy there cowboy
a) you're married
b) so are half the girls you're talking about
c) they're posting on a thread about shoes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 11:31:18 AM »
A.)I dont know what being married has to do with eqality of the sexes
B.) Im Lloyd Dobbler and I drive a blue chevy malibu if you need to know, your daughter doesn't know me, well, she does know me, we went out on a date at the Bel Square Mall, look could you have her call Lloyd at 555-1212 thats 555-1-2-1-2, 5551212 thanks.
C.)Shoes today, LOTR tomorrow

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 11:38:01 AM »
/me sends his ninjas out after this "lloyd"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2003, 11:40:32 AM »
might be tough, he's into kickboxing, sport of the future!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2003, 12:16:56 PM »
/me lights Entropy on fire

Ah, but  I do have comfortable heels. I'm not saying they run a close second to a warm pair of slippers or a favorite pair of tennis shoes, but they are comfortable. You're right though, I wouldn't want to wear them and stand around in them all day. I love three inch heels.

Saint--I think it's a personality thing. Sometimes it's nice to look nice, and know that you look nice. Just like sometimes it's nice to loaf around the house in my favorite pair of sweats and my disgusting slippers (disgusting because I spilled root beer on them the first day that I got them).

/me is jealous of Megan's boots--and Megan's great sense of style

I understand about money concerns. I need a new pair of jeans (I only have one that is wearable to work), and I want a new pair of nice casual black shoes (and brown if I'm really lucky), but I just can't justify it, especially with Christmas just around the bend. Now I hate all the commercials for Christmas before Thanksgiving is even over, but with our income, I do need to start saving now in order to be able to afford gifts and rent. ;)

So, stacer, next time we are anywhere near each other, let's go shoe shopping, k?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2003, 01:46:39 PM »
So I was doing some research about high heels and why they're  bad for your feet, (they put your entire leg in an unnatural position) and was wondering if anyone specifically made high heels that are designed to be more orthopedically sound.

Apparently no one does.  There HAS to be a market for this.  Anyone with good grades in human anatomy want to help me design a line of comfortable sexy heels?  Sure, maybe it's impossible, but that never stops anyone.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
What you need to do is get in touch with dance shoe designers, take some of their design elements, and add practical soles that you could wear outside (the suede leather bottoms just don't cut it on normal floors).  It does get tiring to wear dance shoes after a (long) while, but a lot of the elements would be really good for normal high heels (the way the heel is shaped, the way it is balanced for optimal weight distribution, etc.)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 07:40:52 PM »
Actually I bought a pair of ballroom shoes on Ebay for that reason.  But I'm afraid to wear them outside because the suede soles are so nice!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan