Games > CCGs

Onslaught

(1/19) > >>

Lord_of_Me:
well it's been out for a week, has anyone got any of the cards yet? What do you think of them?

I'm getting some at the weekend, two theme decks and a booster or two

Prometheus:
I don't have any of the cards yet, but I've been looking through the spoiler, and have noted some things I like and some other things I didn't. We'll start with mechanics:

Morph: Overall, I'm not in favor of this thing. It will probably be discussed at length elsewhere so I won't go into detail yet. I'm not saying that it's worthless, but the Morphing cards I saw were generally unimpressive in their Morphing abilities, and I'm just not scared of the hordes of 2/2 colorless typeless creatures you'll see floating around.

Tribal: only barely a mechanic anyway...more a theme for the block. There are some very cool things you can do with it, particularly if you have some of the 5-tap rares, but given that the average tribal creature (Wizards, Clerics, Goblins) isn't all that hard to kill, an aggressive stance with bigger creatures could overcome most of these and keep the tribal effect to a minimum.

Chain Spells: I don't think I'd ever use these unless I was also in the mood to play Primordial Ooze and Takklemaggot. They're just too weird.

Cycling: I'm all over this, particularly the cycling lands and the cycling spells that still do something when you cycle them. They also are heavily involved in my pick for Onslaught strategies. The main cards for the deck are Astral Slide, Lightning Rift, and Invigorating Boon. With multiple copies of each of these enchantments out you can remove multiple creatures the enemy possesses from the game for a turn, get a blast of direct damage (2-8), and get 1-4 +1/+1 counters every time you cycle a card. Even a mediocre creature setup can break through enemy lines in this scenario, and all you have to do to signal the attack is cycle a card, something that is often useful in and of itself anyway.

Gustcloak: a minor white-only mechanic that we've seen here and there before now, the small set of creatures that possess this are frightening. Able to harass the enemy with impunity, they would be an excellent way to chop down the tribal or face-down reserves of your opponent.

Single Cards:
Daru Cavalier -- most who play with me would already know this card has me written all over it.
Exalted Angel -- one of the very few cards that can actually come out faster due to Morphing.
Butcher Orgg -- another excellent way to chop down tribal reserves (or face-down cards...or anything else really) swiftly. Finally a decent Orgg.
Dragon Roost -- 5RR isn't that expensive for a 5/5 dragon token.
Quicksilver Dragon -- where did I put that flagbearer enchantment?
Fade from Memory -- a great way to deal with pesky graveyard utility cards hanging around from Odyssey. Cycles if you don't need it.
Entrails Feaster -- I need one of these. This just flat-out sounds fun. The more you kill the enemy...the more you kill the enemy.

Lord_of_Me:
i agree with almost all of that, except i don't like cycling and really like tribal. The only cycling cards that i think are actually useful are the ones which have effects when you cycle them.
I'm already planning a big elf deck with a splash of white for loads of lifegain, wellwisher is genuinely scary.

Fellfrosch:
You have to remember, Isimir, that Prometheus has never liked a set very much when it's released, at least in my memory. He thought the mechanics of Odyssey were pretty lame compared to Invasion, but now he likes them. You just have to give him time.

Lord_of_Me:
but morph is pretty lame, sure some of the cards are useful but i just don't think that they're as good as everyone thinks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version