Author Topic: Important Site News  (Read 12491 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Important Site News
« on: April 28, 2004, 03:38:04 PM »
It has been bothering me quite a bit recently how little time I have to spend on TWG. I do my best, but thanks to staying late almost every day at work, and a constant string of home improvements (we spent every night of last week, for example, remodeling our bathroom) I just don't have the time that TWG deserves. We've managed to build up a great base of readers and forum regulars and I think you guys deserve more than what I'm currently able to give.

I still intend to do as much as I can with TWG, including writing and editing articles and posting on the forum, but I'd like to promote two people to the admin staff to fill in where I can't: an Associate Editor who can do daily edits and post articles, and a Forum Overlord with full admin access. These people will make sure we stick to our daily schedule, and that the forum stays as healthy and friendly as possible.

I have a person in mind for each job, and I will be contacting them to see if they're interested. This will require a lot of work, so I hope we can find someone who's up to the task. With the right people in the right places, we can really help TWG continue to grow and improve. Thanks to everyone for coming to the site and for stopping to read my announcement. You may now go back to your time-wasting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Important Site News
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 07:56:10 PM »
For the record, I'm perfectly willing to post more to the main page.  I haven't done so for fear of overstepping my bounds.

As for a forum overlord...probably a good idea.  The thing is, do we really have anyone on the forums who is level-headed enough to be impartial?  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 08:06:48 PM »
One of the Women perhaps?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:10:14 PM »
One of the women who is more like Brenna and stacer and less like me.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 08:11:10 PM »
Me, SE, JP and El Spriggo felt that JP was the best choice for a forum admin. But Fell already knows our opinion there.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 08:18:47 PM »
Hum, you're right--JP would make a good mod, I think.  Entropy, you could do it, but you wouldn't be able to have as much fun, so I'd reccomend against that.

And, of course, I'm always around.  I'm not on quite as much as some others, but I've been keeping an extra eye on things lately.  

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 08:24:22 PM »
I have some extra time in which I can help out if needed. I'm on here every day anyway (and I have a relatively fast connection at home). Glad to edit/proofread, or whatever it is you might need doing. Oh, and by the way, I'm working on a book review for one of the books SE sent me.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 08:25:15 PM »
We could also do with a mod in the rants forum. People seem to think that because it has no mod means that they are free to be annoying on there.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »
If my help is needed for anything, let me know.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:33:47 PM »
Oh yeah - EUOL, you gonna finish your FAQ anytime?

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 10:29:39 PM »
Yeah.  Give me a week or so, and I'll start working on it again.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 01:03:25 AM »
Alrighty, the emails have gone out and come back, and thanks to your kind response here I've come up with some plans.

Associate Editor: Saint Ehlers has kindly offered to help post articles. Think of this me finally giving the head of TWG East the authority he already deserves. We're going to work out some kind of schedul as to who posts when and who does what. I'll contact Tage, or someone else will contact him first, and he'll give SE full admin access to the site.

Forum Overlord: I agree with the common consensus that JamPaladin would make an active and impartial overlord. His job will be to identify forum blow-ups before they happen (when possible) and just generally put out fires. Once again, we'll tell Tage to give him full admin access to the forum. (This should help resolve the Rants section problem, but Jam and I will discuss the need for a dedicated Rants mod.)

Other plans:
1) I want to revamp our department heads and get them back into gear. If we can put each department head in charge of making sure his or her department has a steady stream of articles, the upper site management that SE and I do will go much more smoothly.

2) I've often thought about getting an editorial staff, and I think this might be the time to do it. I will be contacting a couple of people by email to talk about this.

3) We have a lot of interest and talent among our regulars that's currently going to waste. I'd like to harness some of that in what I'm going to call the Special Events department, and I'll be contacting a couple of people about this as well.

4) If you're interested in doing anything specific for the site, or if you just want to help but don't know where you're needed, this thread is a great place to do it.

5) Overall, I think I'm going to be slipping into more of a managerial than editorial role. When we have things delegated and coordinated, we'll be able to a lot more with this site than we could when I was stupidly trying to do everything myself.

Thanks for all your help, and keep it coming.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »
Good to hear it.

Humm I've got a event planner/calender that I've been wanting to finish and use somewhere.  I could easly set it up so people that are deparment heads and admins could add events to it.  That way people could have a single place to keep track of when articles are due, and who posts when.  Let me know if that is something you're intrested in.  

I've also got the new Deparment menus running off of a database and PHP.  I just need to code up something that would easly allow certain people to add new meta keywords to the menu.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:16:41 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 01:18:31 AM »
whats an articel?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 01:21:13 AM »
Well Jeffe, when an article and and editoral love each other very much they combine and make an articel.  Its one of the many wonders of the Literary World.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.