Author Topic: back online  (Read 8528 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
back online
« on: August 25, 2003, 10:12:53 AM »
well, i have a functional computer at home. Need to do a couple tweaks, and it's slow. But at least it functions, and I may even be able to play NWN.

Course, cable's still not out here so I have this crappy dial up which gives me years to download the NWN patch....

Netzero is interesting. You have to use this stupid crap nav bar that just takes up screen space, but it costs 5-10 less a month than their competitors, so I'm sticking with it. I just hope the uninstall goes well.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: back online
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 10:27:42 AM »
Oh, just because I'm blabbering.

This means that I can go back to my morning/evening post schedule, and actually get something done with lunch instead of worrying that I haven't posted to my game.

On a bright note, I thought my nice computer (Squish) was doa with a bad mobo, but it appears that it may only be a power supply, turning a $120 problem into a $30 problem. This is much easier for me (and my wallet) to cope with.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 01:32:57 PM »
Oh that's a relief.

And while you're blabbling, I'll babble and say that I finally found someone who was willing to unload their copy of win98 on me as a wedding present, so hopefully I too will be posting more often and from home.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 01:43:15 PM »
And while you're all babbling, I'll stick around and baubble. I'm now here at SUNY Canton up in the nether regions of New York. I have yet to get my wireless card for my desktop to work. But there are the library computers and computer labs taht are around the school.

On top of something else, I have a mortuary science class. Why? Because I think it will be interesting. Give me a look at funeral parlors past and present. No I'm not going to be embalming anyone. But I did see a poster that said you can have your ashes creamated and turned into a coral reef.

More to come, at a different time. A different place, or just a different person altogether.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 05:24:06 PM »
How precisely do they turn ash into plant?

And does this mean Saint is gonna talk more? BUGGER!

Still, we should try and arrange NWN games - i talked to Mr P and he says his schedule is unknown for the time being, which makes it a problem. I have a dwarfen fighter i wanna test out.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 05:44:17 PM »
depends on the level/adventure

And yeah, I'll probably talk more. It's a problem I have. See, here I am talking on my lunch break, even though I stated an intention to read.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 06:09:52 PM »
I have NWN now. ^_^ And I bought the expansion as well. So I'm up for any amount of fun that can be had in an unneeded manner. Though NWN is slow for me right now since I'm not at full RAM capacity yet. So in a few weeks I should be getting my new RAM from my folks.

Follow me to the other posts.
                William S. Burroughs

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 10:37:34 PM »
My CD burner has decided it doesn't want to read audio CD's any more, just spin them up and down, and crash when I try to do anything. I think at this point I can officially call the Blue Screen Of Death my wallpaper. Even though mine is green at the moment. The joys of windows 98, and the ability to crash in every colour of the rainbow.  
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 11:54:55 PM »
Well, it's official. This processor is just TOO SLOW to run NWN. I have plenty of RAM, but it's impossible to do anything. So, we'll have to wait until I get the new power supply and then hook everything up and do lots of installs.

However, I was smart, I download the zip to update, and I saved that, so NWN will install fast when I get to that point.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 12:00:17 AM »
wow, I just uninstalled NWN and looked over my progams. NWN was the largest single item almost by a factor of 10. Second place was the SP1 uninstall info, which game in at just under .3gb. MS Office was third, at ~.2gb NWN was 5 times more hard disk space than both of those put together. Frightening. Now, I guess I'm going back to Starcraft for gaming enjoyment.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 12:34:40 AM »
Mmmm, Starcraft. That's what we need to play.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 12:38:25 PM »
I'd be up for it, if this network didn't take 20 minutes to load web content. It takes about just as lon, if not longer, to get into a game online as well. Which blows.
                William S. Burroughs

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 01:26:55 PM »
Starcraft stinks. Warcraft 3 is better, Total Annihilation is better, C&C Red alert 2 is better.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 01:32:09 PM »
I'm shocked, Entropy. Well and truly shocked.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 01:33:49 PM »
Oh good. I got Mr P to say that on IM recently, so that makes 2 TWGers i have "shocked and appauled".  :)

Fellfrosch