Author Topic: I hear voices...and I need answers. Soonish!  (Read 1982 times)

misterooga

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I hear voices...and I need answers. Soonish!
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
Well, I came to this forum via Writing Excuses. I posted a question on their thread, but I think this place may be more appropriate.

I heard this on the podcasts and read it else where: it's the style and/or voice that sells the book.
(My understanding of this 'voice' is the tone of the narrator, be it 3rd person or 1st person narrative. Perhaps this is not correct.)

I have also heard that style and voices are not something you can develop...it's a natural talent.

Obviously this causes a problem for me. I know I lack many talents required of a writer but if I can not develop a style and voice that will make me a successful writer, what can I do?

I read somewhere that everyone has a voice...but I just don't want any voice. I want a voice that will sell...and I can't develop it!?

I feel there is something I am missing here... 

If someone already answered this question, please direct me to appropriate place.

Thanks~

Renkar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: I hear voices...and I need answers. Soonish!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Well, I don't know if I can provide an answer, but I feel that as long as you have a good story and that it is well laid out then the voice\style thing will come with time.  Kinda like working out, you build muscle and strength the more you work at it.  As for "Your" voice, I think of it like the Buddha thought of truth. "Hold to the truth within yourself as to the only truth."  Hold to voice within yourself. . ., and to paraphrase, only you can tell your story. 
  Besides, look at some of the dross that sells nowadays, and that should make you feel a little better.  I think if your goal is to tell a good story that says something important to you the selling part will take care of itself when the time is right.  Of course, you could just look at what sells and rehash that.  You don't have to be good at it.  Look at all the crappy pop musicians and authors out there, they sell like crazy.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »
http://www.efuse.com/Design/wa-voice.html

http://www.ttms.org/writing_quality/voice.htm

Here are two sites I found that explained 'voice' from a teaching prospective.

Edit:  http://www.write101.com/lethamfind.htm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:31:43 PM by Necroben »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
My opinion on this is simple.  Everyone has a voice for their writing, just like everyone has a voice for talking.  The trick is to figure out how to use your voice in service to your story.  It's not easy, but it's definitely doable.  Imagine someone with a smoker's voice, perhaps a ratty emaciated blonde woman who's been smoking for so many years she sounds like a fork being dragged though gravel when she talks.  While she could tell the story of a happy princess who finds the perfect husband after some minor travail, she would not tell that story using the same words, phrasing, gestures, tones, etc... as say...Pavarotti.  She could tell any story she wanted to, but, to be most effective, she would not use the same techniques as others. She would play to her strengths and be aware of and manipulate the effect her voice has.

Rather than 'finding their voices' writers need to figure out 'how to use their voices' to best effect.  And make no mistake; the same story told by the same person before and after they learn to use their voice effectively will sound very different.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

misterooga

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Edit:  http://www.write101.com/lethamfind.htm

I found the third article quite helpful. Thanks. Of course, I tend to drawl when I write letters, so perhaps there is a definite need of improvement.  ;D

Rather than 'finding their voices' writers need to figure out 'how to use their voices' to best effect.  And make no mistake; the same story told by the same person before and after they learn to use their voice effectively will sound very different.

I think part of my issue is clarity. I feel that I stutter when I write--tripping over my own words--and find myself unable to explain AND express myself...which definitely distracts readers... I tried to go about the way of learning how to 'debate' but I kinda got lost in midway...didn't really help too much.  :-\