Local Authors > Matthew Buckley

FictionRemix

<< < (2/4) > >>

Peter Ahlstrom:
Fanfiction writers do mashups all the time--they're called fusions. The collaborative wiki idea is interesting, but it could have implementation problems--like, would you want to keep bad writers out?

Firemeboy:

--- Quote ---Another thing you could look at is the mashup craze that's happening.  What would happen if you mashed two pieces of literature together?
--- End quote ---

That is brilliant.  Any suggestions for two pieces to mashup?  

I do see a problem with 'bad writers', but I see several things happening.  If you ever had the problem of a story being edited too much, you could limit it by a password so that only those making 'good edits' could change the story.  But even then, it's very easy to revert to a past section.  And they way I've got it set up, you edit paragraph by paragraph.  So if somebody comes and kills one section, but somebody is doing great work on another setion, you can trash the bad stuff, and keep the good stuff.  

I think the key is you will need one (or a very few) 'key authors' that have the final say.  Otherwise you'll end up with a story that has 14 voices, 18 endings, and is just a mess.

I've already added a 'mashup' section on the wiki.

Fellfrosch:
I see mashups as being very different from fanfiction fusions, but I'm not sure how to translate the musical mashup into literature without it simply becoming a fusion. A fusion, as I understand it, is characters from one story meeting characters or visiting locations from another story, like the X-Men showing up on the Enterprise. A mashup is two songs played on top of each other--they are changed very little, if at all, but compliment each other. I would like to see that same kind of idea applied to literature, but I'm not sure how or what to do.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
You'd have the characters acting independently but in a shared world.

Peter Ahlstrom:
Fell, what you describe is a crossover. A fusion is where personalities and plots are joined: the new characters and situations take elements from both (or all) the original sources, but the original characters do not precisely exist anymore. For example, if Ranma Chiba finds himself engaged to Usagi Tendo and they both discover they are reincarnated ki-blast throwing sailor-suited warrior animals of justice, that would be a fusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version