Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 1063 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Oscars
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:52:47 AM »
So once again my wife predicted them way better than I did. She's uncanny in that respect.

When Clint Eastwood won Best Director and Best Picture, I remarked that he started his career as a gravel-voiced thug that no one expected good things from--it was as if 50 years from now Vin Diesel was one of the best and most respected actors/directors in Hollywood. We all laughed at my little joke and went about our business.

Later that night I read a quote from Sidney Lumet, the director who won a lifetime acheivement award, who said that one of the best actors he's ever worked with was...Vin Diesel. He said "he wanted to get into the business, so he made a reputation as a musclehead and did very well at it, but you're going to be surprised at how good he really is." So am I prescient, or is the world simply insane? It could easily be both, now that I think about it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:54:05 PM »
I think Vin Diesel has potential, I don't think he's that serious right now about what film projects he takes. Course, a lot of respected actors make a lot of bad movies, so what's new.

My favorite is the Golden Rasberry awards. Halle Berry won for worst actress and she actually showed up and gave a fake acceptance speach. She said that she felt she had to be a good loser in order to be good winner. I have a new respect for her. Now she just needs to stop making bad movies.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »
What i've heard said is that as a new actor you cannot turn down any project, no matter how bad, if it gets your name out there and known and gets money in.

Plus he does roleplay :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:17:01 PM »
He actually tried to get into Hollywood as a serious actor--did some artsy stuff at film festivals, etc etc. Then he just decided to go for the thug look, got famous, and now he can do whatever he wants. Very clever.

Yeah, I have new respect for Halle Berry as well. And greatly diminished respect for the Razzies, who turned this year's awards into a political forum instead of a movie-mocking forum.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 02:23:58 PM »
I agree with Fell, but I have to say that Vin's made a bad movie.

I saw "The Pacifier" last week and it stank.  It was a cliche-ridden standard disneyfied pile of crap.  

I will say that Vin's acting was pretty good but it  was hard to tell in the midst of all that steaming fecal material.

Edit: Entropy's point exemplified.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:24:59 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »
What confuses me about the Razzies this year is that Farenheit 911 won 4 awards. I guess they are really meant to bash W., but hostorically it's going to be looked at as Farenheit 911 one four Razzies.

Kind of like how movies that when and Academy Award for something like sound editing or best make-up always get billed as an Academy Award winning movie. Course they will neglect which Award it got leading you to believe that it got best actor, or director or even best picture.

So yes, the Razzies were very confused this year.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 06:30:30 PM »
Sprig, are you posting on 42's account?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 12:27:11 AM »
No, I'm just really sick and have taken too much cold medication.