Author Topic: Non Published Brandon Sanderson and where to find it  (Read 2127 times)

Lazarian

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Non Published Brandon Sanderson and where to find it
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
Over the last 6 months I've had a rather amazing time reading through all of the published Brandon Sanderson novels I could find. Mistborn 1 and 2 are rather firmly placed in my favourite books of all time, sitting quite nicely amidst George RR Martin and Robin Hobbs.
So now I'm after another hit. I found the amazon.com page for Way of Kings, and went wow, is there more?
After reading the reviews posted on amazon I couldn't help but think it was a joke book, and I'm still not really sure if it isn't...

So questions:
How many other books has Brandon written?
I see references on these boards to quite a few other books, and am rather jealous of those that have had the chance to read them ;)
So my other question:
Is there any way to get a hold of these books, if published, who would I have to go through to purchase them, if unpublished, who do I have to beg for a possible digital version :D

/edit:
Hah pays to read the sticky'ed threads sometimes...
Sounds like I shall need to hang around a bit to get some of these early works ;)
Sorry for the post wasting guys, probably not the best way to start out :P
Still a list of the early stuff would be nice as a sticky'ed thread.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:24:37 PM by Lazarian »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Non Published Brandon Sanderson and where to find it
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
Way of Kings is a real book and will be the start of a long epic. However, it still needs to be rewritten and it won't come out for a couple years yet. Originally when Brandon signed the contract for Elantris, it was a 2-book contract and Way of Kings was to be the second book in the contract (it doesn't have any connection to Elantris though). Tor may have preliminarily solicited a release date or something, or maybe Amazon read the press release...anyway, somehow it got listed on Amazon with a release date. Yes, the reviews and the user-uploaded cover are jokes. Everyone is invited to contribute.

Brandon decided he, his fans, and his publisher weren't quite ready for Way of Kings yet, though—it's a very ambitious project—so he wrote the first Mistborn book and went and pitched it as a trilogy to take the place of Way of Kings in the publishing schedule. This was a good idea, because Mistborn is a great trilogy, but when he gets to Way of Kings Brandon will pull out all the stops.

(Though honestly, I think a number of people are more eager to read the second Scribbler book whenever Brandon gets around to writing it.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
The Second Scribbler book?? I haven't even gotten to read the First one yet.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »
It's Just That Good™
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lazarian

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
 /sigh Thanks for peaking my curiosity in not just one book, but now a second as well :P
Thanks for the info, I shall just have to be patient :D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:06:48 AM »
Okay, let me go ahead and actually answer the question that was asked.

Brandon posted an answer to your question here, on December 1st, 2005.

In fact, anyone can have sample chapters of any of my books. I send those out pretty freely.

Also, if anyone wants any of my old books--anything pre-WAY OF KINGS--you need but ask. Most of them won't ever get published in their current form. So, if you're ever bored, you can read an old, unpublished Brandon novel.

The complete Brandon Library is:

1) White Sand Prime  (My first Fantasy Novel)
2) Star's End  (Short, alien-relations sf novel.)
3) Lord Mastrell (Sequel to White Sand Prime)
4) Knight Life (Fantasy comedy.)
5) The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora (Far future sf involving immortal warriors)
6) Elantris (You have to buy this one!)
7) Dragonsteel (My most standard epic fantasy)
8) White Sand (Complete rewrite of the first attempt)
9) Mythwalker (Unfinished at about 600 pages. Another more standard epic fantasy.)
10) Aether of Night (Stand-Alone fantasy. A little like Elantris.)
11) Mistborn Prime (Eventually stole this world.)
12) Final Empire Prime (Cannibalized for book 14 as well.)
13) The Way of Kings (Fantasy War epic. Coming in 2008 or 2009)
14) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Coming June 2006)
15) Mistborn: The Well of Ascension (Early 2007)
16) Alcatraz Initiated (YA Fantasy. Being shopped to publishers)
17) Mistborn: Hero of Ages (Unfinished. Coming late 2007)
18) Dark One (Unfinished. YA fantasy)
19) Untitled Aether Project (Two sample chapters only.)

Here are my notes on that list:
7) Now known as Dragonsteel Prime. See Liar of Partinel (19).
8) I assume we'll still see another rewrite of this one day, but Brandon hasn't mentioned anything recently.
9) Cannibalized some characters and plot points into Warbreaker. Cannibalized the class system into the Mistborn series.
10) Cannibalized something from this into the Mistborn series. Cannibalized something else into Liar of Partinel (19)
11) Do not read Mistborn Prime unless you've already read Well of Ascension.
13) More like 2010 if Brandon finishes A Memory of Light quickly. The start of a major epic.
16) Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (optioned by Dreamworks Animation)
17) Obviously, this is finished now. ;) (Oct 14, 2008)
18) Still unfinished. About half done, I hear. On the back burner.
19) The Liar of Partinel. Finished, but needs major rewriting. Cannibalizes parts of Aether of Night. This and a sequel are meant to serve as a segue into a longer Dragonsteel series. But this is a back-burner project.

So if you're keeping track, that was four different books which were cannibalized into the Mistborn series. Humorously, the seafaring nation of Svorden got cannibalized from Elantris into Way of Kings. Then Elantris sold and Svorden was decannibalized.

The following are the other projects I know about that Brandon has done at least some writing on, and their numbers are tentative. He would better give the exact ordering.

20) Alcatraz versus the Scrivener's Bones (Nov. 1, 2008)
21) Scribbler (YA fantasy aimed a couple years older than Alcatraz. Needs a rewrite and needs a publisher. Will probably be three books, or was it four?)
22) Warbreaker. (Brandon's going to do a quick new draft very soon.)
23) Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystallia (Nov. 2009) Brandon is shooting for five total books in this series, though only four are contracted.
24) Nightblood (Maybe Brandon started outlining this?)
25) A Memory of Light (Today Brandon finished writing one of the major plot arcs.)

FYI, the way to ask Brandon for an early book is to e-mail him.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:49:27 AM by Ookla The Mok »

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »
Thanks for the list and notes, Ookla.  That's very helpful to those of us who haven't been around as long.  It's a little daunting to realize I've only read 5/25 of those works.  I thought the list was much shorter (maybe 6-8 unpublished works) and was planning to request and read them all - maybe now I'll be a bit more selective. :)
He ate my horse.