Author Topic: Sundance  (Read 1164 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Sundance
« on: October 09, 2003, 10:09:21 AM »
Well, it looks like I get an unexpected treat this year, my Wife's father decided to get us Airfare and tickets to Sundance if we got a hotel on our own out in Park City. Therefore I will have some interesting reviews come then end of January
Anyone have a digital camera I can borrow?

Eric?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 10:11:22 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Sundance
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 10:54:26 AM »
I don't gots one. My in-laws do.

I don't get excited about Sundance. I lived near there for 6 years and never went once. <shrug>

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 11:33:44 AM »
Well it'll be fun...

oh and hey do you want to do some conventions this year? The big one I want to go to is Origins in Colombus Ohio June 24-27

I know this Hostel we can stay in for 12 bucks a night thats nice. By then I'll own my own Digital Camera and we can do a TWG east Origins report.  I figure it'll cost around 100 bucks for travel and lodging (for both of us and then around 80 each for food and emergencies  (It will work perfect  if we bring some food of our own) and then cash for whatever you want for stuff. My goal is to interview as many game designers as possible for TWG.
If I get someone who hasn't gone to register with me I get one pass free meaning registration for two is only 45 bucks...  for 4 days!
It takes about 7 hours driving (Tim and I did it in 8 but there was a lot of construction two years ago) and the con is pretty cool.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 11:45:49 AM »
Well, I'm sure it'll be fun. I'm sure *I'D* have fun if I went. I just never got excited enough about it to try before.

as for a con in June. welll... it REALLY depends on what my job situation is. I think the most I can hope for with a raise on my current job is 3k, outside shot. I am, and my boss KNOWS, that I'm in the top 10% or so of the team in terms of performance, so I should get a GOOD raise, but it's still not enough, and it won't happen for like 3 more months. However, if I don't get a job making what I want by then, I can use the raise I get as leverage when with my job searching.

In short, I need to be making a lot more money before I can consider non-family trips.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 12:20:50 PM »
Well I have until march to preregister so keep me informed!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 12:46:59 PM »
OOohhh, Ohio is right next door to me home. I could go. I bet things get cheaper in three's. Yatta!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 05:05:34 PM »
Which raises the question, do you get a free ticket with EACH newbie? or just the one?

I should know well before March what it'll be like.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 06:18:25 AM »
You know, I really should go to Sundance one of these years. I just never seem to want to spend outrageous amounts of money on movie tickets for movies that could very well be pure genious, or just really bad.

Reason's why I should go:
I've lived in Utah for over a decade and have never been.
My cousin was, at one time, the major share-holder of the Sundance Co.
Robert Redford used to come to my family reunions when I was a kid. I think he was just trying to mingle with the "locals".

Despite all that, I think I would still need a date with Sandra Bolluck to get me motivated enough to go. Or free tickets from an anonymous benefactor.

As far as going to Origins? Well, it's Ohio.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 08:16:06 AM »
it's a chance to mix with the elite nerdery of games!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 03:16:48 PM »
Admittedly, panhandling from the elite nerds might garner more sympathy when I say I need the money to support my gaming addiction. However, Hollywood's elite have more money to spend and I think know more about addiction.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 05:15:48 PM »
if you drop out the word "gaming," then you can probably get sympathy either place. I prefer a gaming affair because I can identify with that kind of disfunction. The freaks at the film festival just piss me off.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2003, 12:26:23 AM »
See SE, you just need to make time to join both clubs. Expand your circle of friends. I'm sure you'll find that celebrities can be just as snobbish and geeky as gamers. And gamers are just like celebrities in their own minds.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2003, 08:36:14 AM »
I wouldn't be anti-social if I kept joining all these clubs and wanted to make new friends.