Author Topic: Feng Shui  (Read 5902 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Feng Shui
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2003, 12:12:01 PM »
Er.... hello! This is the TWG forum! Digression city doesnt have nought on us.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2003, 12:23:46 PM »
ohhh ....I forgot you speak the other English language...... ;D
My apologies you kipper eating, tea swilling, whiskey whistle wetting Brit.  ;D

Shame about Beckham.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 12:24:58 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2003, 05:06:35 PM »
Entropy's comment--including your version of it in your example--makes absolutely perfect sense to everyone on the forum but you. If I ask if road A can take me to point B, and someone chimes in and says that road C is better, that's usually considered helpful advice that everybody understands.

Now, it could be argued that your question was actually different--if you say, "I'm going to take road A, whether you like it or not; do you think I might end up at point B?" then it would not make as much sense to recommend road C. But it would still make more sense that you're allowing it to make.

Frankly, I'd like to say that a Jane Austen RPG would be killer, with or without martial arts. I'd also like to say that the Feng Shui stunt system, the way I understand it, could be very easily adapted to a "witty comment" system rather than an action system, and since most conversations in Jane Austen are essentially verbal combats, it would translate well. And I don't think the lack of character development would matter much, since most Austen characters are remarkably static (unless the character progression was "falling in love") as opposed to "becoming more powerful").
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 05:07:26 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2003, 07:10:57 PM »
And the equivalent of death would be marriage, then?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2003, 09:56:48 PM »
Actually, I think the goal in Jane Austin RPGs is to get as many marriages as possible. The person with the most marriages wins. Divorce and "accidental death" are just fringe benefits.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2003, 12:23:03 AM »
Ok, granted Fell, but WHY ON EARTH would you abstract the role playing of dialog and character interaction like that?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2003, 12:36:04 AM »
Um...SE, duh? Have you ever been around a group of new RPGs players. The words "socially innept" should come to mind. Particularly if they are not yet old enough to vote.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2003, 12:47:23 AM »
Which is exactly why they wouldn't be playing soemthing that doesn't require tons of gore. Let's face it, your typical new RPgamer won't even LOOK at something like Jane Austen (*I* hesitate to do so). Too much clothing.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2003, 01:13:36 AM »
But wouldn't it be cool if Jane Austin whipped out a shotgun from beneath her bodice, pumped it with one hand like the Terminator, then went ballistic all over Emily Bronte?

And just to add my two cents to this whole FS vs. d20 debacle:  I would love to see an epic fantasy RPG with the free-wheeling, over-the-top tone and anything-goes open ended rules system of Feng Shui.

Okay, that's it.  That's all I'm gonna say on the matter.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2003, 09:23:26 AM »
Yes, yes. That would be seriously cool.

And the FS fantasy would be cool too, I just wouldn't trust my more serious plots to it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2003, 09:35:21 AM »
It'd be cooler if she said " I'll be Write Back"
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2003, 02:58:10 PM »
Having done a great deal of research on the time period, I feel obligated to say that women in Jane Austen's society did not wear bodices. The anachronism of the shotgun, however, doesn't both me at all.

I'm not saying you would use FS to abstract the dialogue, I'm saying that you could use it to give some kind of mechanical base to the dialogue. You still have to come up with a witty remark, but the rules are ther to tell you how effective it was against an NPC.

Honestly, though, I could talk about a Jane Austen RPG all day and be the only one interested, so I will stop.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2003, 05:16:38 PM »
Your interest in Jane Austin is distrubing, to say the least.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2003, 05:46:40 PM »
It sounds intriguing to say the least. I'd really like to see a review on it. A non-biased one if at all possible.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2003, 05:54:02 PM »
...which game?

Feng Shui just got reviewed by SE.
Jane Austin RPG exists only in the fevered imagination of our not-so-illustrious editor.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch