Author Topic: LDS Fiction  (Read 1854 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
LDS Fiction
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:54:03 PM »
I don't know who here is interested in this kind of thing, but this is an article about the growth of the LDS fiction industry.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595072788,00.html
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: LDS Fiction
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 04:47:51 PM »
Hey!  Your book's on the shelf in one of those pictures.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
Hey you're right.  Must be because it doesn't suck!

;)

Seriously though, doesn't the guy in that picture (Robby Nichols) look a lot like Brent Spiner?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 06:17:33 PM »
I noticed that, and was quite pleased.

And that's a bad picture of Robby.  He doesn't usually look quite so goofy.  Also, for anyone who's ever listened to any Covenant product on tape, he's the guy who says: "This is the end of disk one.  Please continue listening on disk two."  He has lots of other things to do, but I think he gets a kick out of it.

www.robisonwells.com

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 02:49:14 AM »
Are you truly that excited to be lumped in with Anita Stansfield?

;)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 09:55:05 AM »
Not really, but I wouldn't mind if her royalty success rubbed off on me.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 10:33:43 AM »
y'know, I finally got around to reading that article. It's... kinda disturbing.

Yes, I want my fiction to avoid beating me about the neck and shoulders with the iron rod of a blunt gospel message.

On the other hand, I don't think it's progress that the LDS market will now bear things that are devoid of spiritual value.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:31:03 AM »
If you phrase it that way, it sounds worse than it is.  The progress is not that the literature is morally worse than it was before, it's just that LDS fiction has a wider scope -- where all LDS fiction used to be inspriational, now, it can include books that are more mainstream, but better marketable toward an LDS audience.  In other words, we can write stories that exist in an LDS environment, but that environment is not the focus of the book.  It really opens up the spectrum of possibilities for the market.

Compare it to fantasy (since this board is very fantasy oriented).  Imagine if all fantasy novels had to be about clerics and paladins, and not only about them, but focusing on their beliefs.  It would seriously hinder the kinds of stories you could tell.

Now, one concession that I'll make is this: you're right on the button in reference to recent Anita Stansfield stuff, or even Richard Paul Evans.  It seems as though, since LDS books have always dealt with moral issues, these authors see "progress" as dealing with immoral issues.  I think they're just married to the "learn a profound lesson" concept, and can't get out of it.  

But, on the other hand, there have been a lot of new authors that successfully use an LDS setting without getting too preachy: For example, Dangerous Games by Keith Morris is a kind of FBI techno-thriller, except it is based on the Church's security service.

Personally, I'm pleased as punch by the new directions.  There will always be people like Stansfield who try to push the envelope, but, really, I didn't like her syrupy romances even before she started writing about fornication.  Just sayin'.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:26:41 PM »
well, I don't read a lot of LDS fiction. Aside from your own book, the last I read was Death of a Tsar by.. uh... someone... which was an espionage type thriller set in Moscow, almost incidentally including LDS characters. That's fine. It was interesting, though far from "really good."

I just was impressed by a lot of the quotes in the article that many writers appeared to be deliberately avoiding uplifting material. Stuff from the article like:
I'm just telling a story. I'm not trying to be uplifting.
Ok, yeah, that's fine. Personally I agree with you, don't be heavy handed. Don't include a "moral" that clubs you in the head at the end. Not everything has to be about doctrine. But why wouldn't you try to be uplifting? (recognizing that uplifting doesn't HAVE to include cheesy, schmaltzy references to sunsets being the handwriting of god and stuff -- and that uplifting doesn't have to mean an superhuman progression or success). The alternatives to uplifting are having no effect (which seems improbable if at all possible) or to degrade. Personally, I think it's a horrible problem if LDS authors are writing stuff that degrades.

That was the impression I got from the article. I'm not convinced I read it wrong. I'm not saying that's what real authors are doing (though I admit my posts may have sounded like I'm saying that). I"m just saying that's what the article appears to be saying, and that's spooky.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 12:49:10 PM »
I'm not saying that's what real authors are doing (though I admit my posts may have sounded like I'm saying that).

Yeah, I think you're worried about an, as yet, non-existant problem.  Yes, Stansfield decided to write about fornication, but she's the exception, not the rule (and her mainstream publisher dropped her like a bad habit, and the two major LDS bookstore chains won't even carry the book!)

I think a lot of LDS authors are excited about the possibility of writing non-"And the moral of the story is:" books, but no one I know of is actively trying to degrade anything.  A recent book (which is stupid, but for other reasons) titled LDS Publishing Secrets had an entire chapter devoted to what it called "The Responsibility of LDS Authors."  It went so far as to say that LDS people, who are talented at writing, shouldn't write anything except LDS books--simply because their talents should be focused on building up the kingdom. (Because Tennis Shoes among the Nephites really builds up the kingdom...?)  

I'm sure that EUOL would have more than a few words to say about that philosophy, but it does illustrate the fact that LDS authors aren't trying to degrade anything.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:53:15 PM by House_of_Mustard »

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 12:55:32 PM »
well, i'm not really worried about it as a problem. I worry about the Deseret News proclaiming it a progress. I think most people think that lady is a little bit of a nutjob.

And, well, yes, TSatN does build the kingdom. Not terribly efficiently, but it does focus our sensibilities on good things and spiritual things. Anything that uplifts builds the kingdom. Which where I agree with you. A story doesn't have to be about an LDS Bishop or even a member of the church to be uplifting and help God's work. I mean, CS Lewis didn't even LIKE Mormons and he's quoted in conference.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 01:23:40 PM »
Well, I'll agree with you that the Deseret News article was crappy.  Most LDS authors who have read it agree on that.  It was so poorly researched that she called Cedar Fort, the third biggest publisher, Cove Fort.  And, while they call 'collections' the big new trend, all of the biggest moneymakers currently are series.

It came to some poor conclusions--and my guess is because she only interviewed a handful of people, and took their word on everything.

www.robisonwells.com