Author Topic: The Bookshelf of Life!  (Read 3443 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
The Bookshelf of Life!
« on: July 31, 2004, 04:36:12 PM »
Don't steal that title, any of you. I swear. Now, onto other things. Like what I wanted to say.

Ok, so I've assembled my 5 shelf bookcase, loaded it with my books and DVDs. Now I find myself with about 1/4 of a shelf left to fill. So, the first question is, do you have a bookshelf? If so, how tall, how many, and how filled?

Now onto mine. I have found that one shelf, bottom most, is filled with many school books. A bit of it has leftovers found here and there. Another has plenty of fantasy (or less since those books are huge) and my Neil Gaiman collection. Another is filled with assorted DVDs and some other these and thats. Is half filled with RP books and some more assorted books. The top most shelf has old books that were from my dads old house, found in the attic. The other half there are books from my childhood.

On the "fantasy" shelf I have H.P. Lovecraft's "Dreams of Terror and Death" and Jean M. Auel's "The Shelter of Stones." But between the two I have decided to put Rob's (HomSar) book. I have also decided that when it comes, I will replace that one Robert Jordan book I have with Brandon's book. Which will be between Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" and Weis & Hickman's first volume of "The War of Souls" book.

On an end note, I will take pictures of it later.

Also, has anyone heard of "Folktales from the Far East?" It's a very old book. Like one you would imagine coming from a game of D&D, a wizard's tome, pages frayed and the seam coming undone.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: The Bookshelf of Life!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »
        I have two bookshelves to myself, with a few others spread through the house. My bigger one is 6 feet by 2 feet 4 inches. The littler one is 3 feet by 2 feet one inch. They are both filled to the brim with all sorts of books including a 2500 page dictionary, almost all of the calvin and hobbes books, the Lord of the Rings, Dune (in the process of reading), Atlas Shrugged, several of the Chronicles of Narnia, some of the Sherlock Holmes books, and the Dark Materials series.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 05:46:55 PM »
not counting my children and my wife, I have at least 80' of shelf space. Probably more (counting each shelf's length as space). about a quarter of that is lectures on cd and audio tape. fully half (or more) is regular books: the classics, fantasy, literary fiction, history, sociology, coffee table books, religious writings, etc.
about 15' of it is Role playing books, with another 6 or so tripple stacked with board and card games.  There is a modest amount filled with old notes from classes and notebooks I've filled with my own scrawl. and even more modest amount is filled with my records and what few CDs won't fit on the racks dedicated to those purposes. roughly the same amount is given to graphic novels (most comics being stored in long boxes.
Interspersed there are a few toys and my pez dispensers.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 06:21:57 PM »
not counting my children and my wife, I have at least 80' of shelf space.  

*blink*  How's that?

Oh well.

We currently have 3 bookshelves - #1 is filled with J.T.'s books, comics and roleplaying books.  (He actually owns many fewer real books than I do.)  #2 is filled with my own books, 5 shelves and a bunch piled on top.

On top are books I don't like, so I dont' have to look at them. I also keep my old journals up there.
- First shelf down is hardback books, and my Stephen King trade paperbacks
- Second shelf down is smallish books- my Dr. Who novels, other paperbacks, TLE issues, and Heinlein books.
- Third shelf down is all of my Star Trek paperbacks
- Fourth shelf down is the "this doesn't go anywhere" shelf.
- Bottom shelf is all my text books and novels I had to buy for school then couldn't sell back.

Oh, bookshelf #3 is currently housing all my husband's old, boxed video games and his CDs.

I really need another bookshelf, but if we get another one, J.T. will probably claim it because that's the way he is. *shrug*  He cares about it more than I do, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:22:56 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »
i should be clear, I guess. I meant not counting the shelves that are in use by my kids or my wife. If all the shelves were taken out (including the top of the cases) and laid end-to-end, it would be about 80+' long.

I claim most of the bookshelves that come in too, because I have stuff stacked in odd places and stacked two layers deep or on top of each other because I don't have enough space.I need another 20' at least.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 10:11:45 PM »
An update to life!

Pictures to correspond to the shelf.

Here is the top shelf.

Here is the 2nd shelf from the top. Notice HoM's book. And Gaiman's!

Here is the middle.

Here is the 2nd shelf from the bottom.

And here is the bottom shelf.

Oy... can I not get these stupid things right...

I thought you wouldn't mind, Gemm, I edited your post just to make them URL's so they're actual links. ~SE
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 09:12:12 AM by SaintEhlers »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 12:45:15 AM »
Aha!  I saw those Terry Goodkind paperbacks.

I have one seven foot bookcase that has six 36" shelves, and the six student housing shelves which are each 48" long.

On the topmost shelf is my husband's laserdisc collection (including the original Star Wars trilogy, THX remastered and no those silly "special editions", and Star Treks IV and VI). On the next shelf are books by Anne McCaffrey, Eddings, Tolkien, Goodkind, Card, Pratchett, and a few classics like Shakespeare, the Iliad, Wilder, Hawthorne, Wells, and rounding out with Celtic Wisdom and Ancient Mysteries.

The next shelf are religious books.
The next is mostly populated by our filing box, AJR CDs, the odd Entertainment Weekly, and some circiut design/solid-state/logic books.
The next is also mostly religious books joined by Machines that Kill and Mostly Harmless.
The bottom shelf are all my kids' books.  You know, the Dinosaur encyclopedias next to the Cat in the Hat next to Horton Hatches the Egg. There are a few Bill Peet books like Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea-Serpent and Cowardly Clyde (about a dragon-slayer) for good measure.

On the top of the bookshelf under our globe are the coffee table books that can't fit on the shelves - An Irish Moment, Sierra Club, National Geographic. You know, the boring stuff.
The next shelf is completely occupied by my husband's film theory books. And a copy of the Polar Express.
The next shelf is my shelf, and is populated by the 5 Harry Potter books, the four Song of the Lioness books, the five The Dark is Rising books, and a couple of Jordan books, a Piers Anthony, a bunch more Anne McCaffrey, Mystic Warrior, and Shadowmancer (that I'm borrowing from Brenna).
The next shelf has mostly my foreign language dictionaries (Irish, French, Latin, Welsh, Spanish, Chinese, and Russian. Another copy of The Lord of the Rings, some some logic books, linguistics books and The Rivan Codex.
Next shelf are a few more McCaffrey, some history books, some music books, an etymological dictionary, a book on David Letterman, A Hard Day's Night in America, and another logic machine design book.
The last shelf is a hodgepodge of religious books, language books, writing books, and music books.

We have a few boxes of books still hiding somewhere deep in the depths of our minimal storage space.

How's that for the most boring post ever?

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
Re: The Bookshelf of Life!An
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 07:25:13 AM »
To start off, I should explain that we built our own house.  So we've been able to customise it a lot.  Anyway, our house is very large.  And we've built bookshelves into 75% of the walls.  As you can imagine, that holds a lot of books.  Plus we have several freestanding ones.  

All of these are shared our family, though I have 7 in my Bedroom which are mine, and are filled with fantasy, fiction and uni stuff.

All of the rest are filled as well, we're always building more.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 07:32:36 AM »
Since I moved, I have no bookshelf. All my books are in two cardboard boxes. I do have shelves for my cds and DVDs though, and the first CD shelf just fileld up. (Second has room for about five mroe discs). I still have a bookshelf in my old house with most of my books on it (Ones I have already read and don't refer to daily.) I also have four large boxes filled with video game magazines.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 02:17:41 AM »
we have I dunno lotsa bookshelves, all filled and piles of books in other places. but in my room I have books on metallurgy, cooking, history,biology,calvin and hobbes, and assorted others.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 02:48:49 AM »
What Calvin and Hobbes books do you have?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 05:47:09 PM »
all of them
calvin and hobbes
something under the bed is drooling
yukon ho!
weirdos from another planet
the reveng of the baby-sat
scientific progress goes "Boink"
attack of the deranged mutant killer monster snow goons
the days are just packed
there's treasure everywhere
homicidal psycho jungle cat
it's a magical world
the essential calvin and hobbes
the calvin and hobbes lazy sunday book
the authorattive calvin and hobbes
the indespensable calvin and hobbes
the calvin and hobbes tenth aniversary book
and that one with the commentary by bill waterson himself
I love calvin and hobbes...

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »

Here is the 2nd shelf from the top. Notice HoM's book. And Gaiman's!

It amuses me that the book next to mine has a picture of somebody's naked butt.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »
    Yeah I am a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes too.  I really like how Watterson mixes humor and deep thoughts, it gives a lot more diverse feel than you get from most comics. I also like that he doesn't get political, if I want comments on what is going on in the world, I will read the newspaper. On the whole it is just a very well done strip.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 06:22:55 PM »
of course, it's funny for kids cuz of the physical humor and the daydreams, and it's funny for adults because of how absurd it is.