Author Topic: Harry Potter 4 -- The Goblet of Fire  (Read 15041 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter 4 -- The Goblet of Fire
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2005, 06:29:14 PM »
As I recall, he didn't growl at all. Which is more consistent with his character.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:38 PM »
Hmm, I'd better watch it again... I guess he didn't growl. But he bared his teeth and acted really threatening. I remember in the book about the Dementors but in the movie I could've sworn they didn't show any Dementors in the shot... huh.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2005, 08:16:17 PM »
No no no. I should have been more clear. In the book Sirius does not growl. (I believe. My copies of the earlier HP books are all in CA at the moment, so I can't check for sure.) And in the movie Sirius does growl. So what I was saying was that the movie was not being as consistent with his character.

And the fact you all have been arguing--that the movie does not give the Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prongs anecdote justice--has always been my main complaint of the movie. I see now that I am not alone.  :)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2005, 08:26:17 PM »
Ohhh. Thanks. You had me wondering if my memory is taking a leave of absence or something. Whew.
Yeah, and you're not alone on feeling gyped about the Wormtail-Padfoot-Prongs-Mooney bunch.
And what's with Wormtail transforming back to a rat by shrinking -out- of his clothes instead of them transforming with him? I mean, it doesn't make sense. He transformed from being Scabbers (who of course wore no clothes) into a nasty lookin' fellow -with- clothes. ??? It seemed pretty dumb to me--just an excuse to show off some FX, you know?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »
I agree with all of the above.  Most people who have read the books will know about the Mauraders' Map and its authors, but there are people like my husband, who can't remember the plot of a book for more than 3 months. (NOT kidding.)
I also really just wanted to see Rita Skeeter get pwned by Hermione....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2005, 01:36:08 AM »
No no no. I should have been more clear. In the book Sirius does not growl. (I believe. My copies of the earlier HP books are all in CA at the moment, so I can't check for sure.)

So I was able to source check myself at my sister-in-law's with her copy of the book, and after I read the section in question I cried, "I am the Harry Potter Master!" and my mom and sister-in-law just looked at me funny. But I was quite pleased with myself for remembering the details. Harry did see "a hulking black shape" that resembled a dog. The dog aka Sirius did not growl. And there were no dementors--that's a different book, and Sirius isn't even there.

So never fear. The HP Master is here. *Chimera finishes gloating about knowing random facts that does not actually make her cool but in reality reveals that she is borderline obessesive fanatic*

If only I retained important or helpful  information as well. Like foreign languages...although I still dispute how important or helpful they are.  ;) J/k

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »
So wait--are you saying that the book with the Dementors is not the book with Sirius? Because that would not make you the Harry Potter master.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »
 :P

No Dementors attack Harry on Privet Drive in HP3. That's in HP5, thank you very much. And Sirius in dog form is not there. That's what I was trying to clarify.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2005, 08:17:06 PM »
Now, hang on - I'm re-reading Order of the Pheonix now and I can't remember which book Hermione founded SPEW in.  Was it in 3 or 4?  Did they include it in the movie or not??
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2005, 03:48:42 AM »
It was 4 and, no, it was not even mentioned in the movie. One of the things that had to be cut, I guess. Too bad. I'd love to have seen Rupert Grint going off about SPEW.  ;D

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2005, 04:43:42 AM »
While SPEW would have been funny, there was already too much going on and making the film seem rushed. Besides, since Neville took over all the important house elf parts there wasn't a need for the house elves or SPEW. I think think it would have been funny though. Maybe they'll add it in the next movie or at least give it a cameo.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

German_Hamburger

• Level 3
  • I love hamburgers. Especially German ones.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2006, 05:45:07 AM »
It was a good film with great special effects but it missed so many good things that are in the book out. For example the Weasleys and there ton tongue toffees would have been good. And I would have liked to have seen the Quidditch world cup.
Nick
7s
K.E.G.S

LCD

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2006, 09:19:31 PM »
What about the people where you live?

My daughter lost a good friend, her parents told her they couldn't be friends with my daughter as I allow her to watch "satanic movies".

I had a good long talk with the dad where I let him know how I felt about him and his wife, much to my daughter's horror.

But then again, when you live in the Bible belt, collect 'em.  They make good kindling.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2006, 11:59:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum, LCD! If you plan on sticking around, read the faq, introduce yourself, and be aware that this board is filled with sf/fantasy-lovin' Mormons (plus some other sf/fantasy-lovin' folks).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »
Filled with?  It seems to me that's what this board is and I mean that in the best of ways.  This board wouldn't be what it is if that weren't the case. :) :)

It's kind of a haven for people like me, for people who need to talk about fantasy on a daily basis so that their heads don't explode.
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?