Author Topic: Hunter (WoD)  (Read 5572 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter (WoD)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 12:20:52 AM »
Thanks.  One question, why such a huge dice pool?

A little disappointed to hear they won't be going with d20, altough if Chaosium is any indication they probably would have done a horrible job with it.  So it might be better that they're going with their own system (hopefully updated with better rules).  Just please don't do both, like I mentioned above.  I think that's really screwed up a lot of Chaosium books like the new Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer stuff.

I agree with you Saint Ehlers, definatily a sign of a poor system.  Some of the rules are pretty good, but they seem only half finished.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 12:27:44 AM »
A starting Exalted character can use his Charms, which are magical abilities, to pump up his dice pool. It's possible for such a character to have a dice pool above thirty.  More often though, its in the high teens, which is still a lot of dice.

The books have so many good ideas.  I need to pick up The Abyssals and Siderals to complete my fatsplat collection...

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 03:14:19 AM »
Are the high dicepools to reflect how much more powerful they are than werewolves and vampires, or is there things they actually need to get multiple DC 10 successes on?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 04:14:54 AM »
Well, there are no werewolves or vampires in Exalted since it's not WOD (though there are Lunars and Abyssals...long story).

Gaining such power is supposed to reflect how superior the Solar Exalted are above both mortals and other Exalted.  

At times they would need such high dice pools...like when fighting other Exalted, taking on an army single handed, or trying to slay a god.  All of which are things likely to be seen in a typical game of Exalted.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 10:08:50 AM »
argh. Stop talking up Exalted. I don't want to have to buy it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 02:14:16 PM »
I wish I could stop talking, Saint.  It's one of those games I love so much but know I will never get to play.  So many good ideas, such a great setting...mmmmmmmmmm....Exalted....

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 07:19:40 PM »
It was a neat setting, kind of anime meets the Illiad.
But I felt it was to like WW Streetfighter for my taste.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 10:12:31 PM »
I wish I could stop talking, Saint.  It's one of those games I love so much but know I will never get to play.  So many good ideas, such a great setting...mmmmmmmmmm....Exalted....

That was like Wraith: The Oblivion for me.  I got all the stuff, but only ever got to play it a couple times.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2003, 03:37:26 PM »
I have a few things to say about WoD, since I'm currently running a Werewolf campaign and playing in my husband's Orpheus campaign. (we alternate)

The 'fudging rolls' thing is not quite what you guys are thinking about.  It's not that you fudge rolls to say that you succeeded or not usually, but it's up to the Storyteller's discrecion to find out how WELL you succeeded.  If your target number is 7, and you get two successes of 7 on a search, you won't find as much as if you rolled three 9's and an 8.  So you can decide how well the players did on what they were trying to do.

As for Exalted, if you have the books, I know my husband would LOVE to play it sometime, esp. since he's been a big WoD fan for a while.  Don't assume that you'll never get to play it, just coerce a group of friends into doing it.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2003, 07:47:04 PM »
I'd just like to add I agree completly with Mr.P on exalted.  Awsome setting, crappy system (storyteller is one of my most disliked systems ever).  The rule books are awsome, I've only got The main one and Abysmals.  I read them just for the sake of reading them, they're almost as cool as Palladium for that.  The difference between and Exalted book and a Palladium book is that Exalted does a great job setting up the different races and history, while Palladium gives you better world info.  WW's world only info books are pretty sad, no maps or stats of monsters in that area.  We've got several reviews for exalted books in the RPG section under WW.  I was going to write an abysmals and Scavenger sons reviews, but my take on them isn't that much different then Kid's.

One word of waning though, don't buy the caste books!  They;re supposed to be a class suppot books but they are the WORST books for any rpg I've ever seen.  I'd give them a 1 clock ot of 6.  these $20, 100 page books have about 10 pages of new charms and equipment and the other 90 odd pages are nothing but crap.  All they use that space for is to tell stories about several differenet exalted in that caste, ie how/when they became exalted and how they live now.  Really worthless stuff.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 08:00:39 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2003, 07:52:07 PM »
oh and Mr.P Exalted is sorta WOD, it just takes place thousand of years before the world exisits as we know it in WOD.  Abysmals become Vampires, lunars become Werewolfs etc.  The Exalted Storytells guide explaines this.

Also the Exalted books are some of the most typo ridden books I've ever scene. Not just spelling but letters being replaced by symbols, force justafying makeing whole paragraphs have no spaceing among the offenders.  I doubt the editor even looked at them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 08:00:50 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2003, 08:03:46 PM »
 Abysmals become Vampires, lunars become Werewolfs etc.  The Exalted Storytells guide explaines this.

Woooeeee, man that would piss off all the vampires and werewolves, that's for sure.  I'm not going to be the one to tell them.  Where did all the Gaia and Caine creationa legends come from if they're really descended from the Exalted world??

Perhaps I'll look at the ST guide just for that purpose- I'm very curious about how it ties into the WoD.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2003, 08:08:43 PM »
because Gaia and the worm a prevelent figures in exalted.  And Gaia created the lunars.  Oh and the ST guide dosen't say it they way I did.  They say something like, all the events and people in exalted will lead to the events that created the WoD.  Then in anther place they say that they wont say wither or not lunars become WWs but that at the end of the Exalted story run you'll know.  But Lunars are set up just like Werewolfs and Abysmals are vampires in the game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 08:10:56 PM by Spriggan »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2003, 08:26:39 PM »
Its Abyssals not Abysmals!

Actually The assertion that Exalted is somehow the prequel to the WOD is one that is and had been catagorically denied by the White Wolf staff.

And I have to disagree with you on palladium having a better world setup.... I think the history and racial information is more important than solid maps, and creature info (even though there is a book on both gods and mystical creatures out for exalted) because it takes place in an ever changing mythical world. Scavenger Sons is a better book than just about anything ever made by Palladium and provides a huge amount of world info without giving concrete distances and tons of stats.
As for the system some people love it and some hate it, I personally think its fun and easier than almost any other game. I have never had a problem teaching the game to new players or ever had a horrible time playing a storyteller game which isnt something I can say about D20, Rifts, or Gurps. True Exalted has huge fricking dicepools but somethings satisfying about handfulls of dice anyway.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2003, 08:49:44 PM »

Actually The assertion that Exalted is somehow the prequel to the WOD is one that is and had been catagorically denied by the White Wolf staff.

I wonder if anyone else finds it hypocritically ironic that they're denying it when there are more similarities than in the movie they're trying to win the lawsuit against.

*innocent look*