Author Topic: Alcatraz News  (Read 13617 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Alcatraz News
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:55 PM »
Awesome EUOL. I was fishing for hints.  You rock.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 03:05:47 AM »
i agree with stacer - people are more concerned with the "wow" factor.  Here is what a lot of people say to me when they come in, "Wow, that Eragon was a pretty good book - especially when I found out he was 15 when he wrote it."  I have my own opinions about this sort of thing.

As far as Brandon's deal, I'm just glad it's gonna get purchased, and published.  It deserves it.  I think it's what the genre needs right now, and what the readers need.

And don't even get me started on what I think of Goodkind.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »
Man.  I've been lax--I really should be giving you guys a blow-by-blow on this, eh?  

Today was the deadline for ALCATRAZ offers, and so far, they have not disappointed.  Three of the four houses have made final offers.  

Tor
Houghton
Little, Brown.

I really feel uncomfortable talking numbers and the like, particularly when no deal is firm yet, and a house hasn't even been picked.  However, let me say that the current leading offer is twice what the leading offer was as of yesterday.

We're still waiting on Scholastic.  I'm hoping for something big from them.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2006, 05:22:20 PM »
Joshua is definatly earning his 10% with this one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2006, 06:07:48 PM »
No kidding.  W O W.   :o

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
I know how much said offer is at now and it about floored me.  I can understand why EUOL's not giving out this info right now too, especially with them waiting for one more publisher.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »
Okay, Scholastic's offer is in, and it's comparable to the one from Little, Brown.  

That puts us at kind of a tie.  Little Brown has offered the most per book, but for four books.

Houghton has offered only slightly less per book, but for six books.

Scholastic has offered the same per book as Houghton, but for four books.

Tor is, unfortunately, far lower than the other three.

Both of the four-book offers say that they'll plan to do more books if the series does well, so it's not that they're making me limit myself to four.  So, that is only a small factor in the decision.  I guess it comes down to which publisher I want, and who I think is going to push the book the hardest.  

I will post marketing highlights here once I have them.  Stacer, I sure could use some advice in this arena, since it appears that I have to pick between three very similar offers....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2006, 07:23:46 PM »
It might be better for you to email me on this one, actually, so I can hear details on what the editorial vision sounds like from each. You're welcome to. But from what I can tell on this thread, and from what I know of the houses, I'd probably go with any of the top three, really. Each has their own advantage.

Little, Brown is a much smaller house than Scholastic and will probably give you a lot of attention. Houghton is Boston-based, so it's out of the New York crowd and has a slightly different vision, but most of their editors concentrate on picture books as far as I last knew. The last editor I knew there in trade left last year, so I have less personal connection to what their editorial vision is as far as fantasy goes, and the only reason I think of them in connection with fantasy at all is because of LotR. But Houghton does also have a really small trade department--meaning lots of personal attention to the books, because their line is smaller--but has the monetary backing of the whole company as far as promotion goes.

Scholastic, though, has a *machine* as far as promotion goes, and who knows, with being such a large house, they probably are able to let editors not be so swamped as a little house might be (i.e., fewer books per editor). But they made a whole bunch of cuts just a couple months ago, so that may not be true.

Tor is... well, they're a new imprint, so they could really use the boost of a hit for Starscape, but their editorial vision doesn't really match the feeling of Alcatraz to me. Most of what I've seen coming from Starscape is high fantasy with the standard tropes, published in original paperback. They released a YA fantasy anthology last year purporting to be "new" fantasy that had no story newer than 2000, and most were reprints from adult authors in the 80s. Not one YA author in the whole anthology that wasn't primarily an adult author.

I mean, part of me says that you'd want to help the new imprint out, but if you're being offered big money by the others, that means they're really going to believe in it and promote it. If it's even half the figure that the Opal Mehta book that everyone's talking about right now, you'd be guaranteed a lot of press, reviews, etc. Before the plagiarism thing hit, Opal Mehta was being talked about on all the library listservs, librarians asking where to shelve it, what people thought of it, etc.

For me, it comes between the top three's editorial vision. If they're really close on per-book, I wouldn't worry about whether it's 4 or 6. If it does well, they'll contract you for more, and finding a great editor that you really feel you'll work well with will be worth the difference in the books if you pick the one who only is offering 4.

But like I said, I'd be interested in hearing details about what the editors said editorially.

Oh, and which imprint of Scholastic are we talking about? That's important. If it's Arthur Levine, that trumps everything. Go with Arthur.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2006, 07:25:11 PM »
One more thing. It's too bad you never heard from HarperCollins or Candlewick. Most of my favorite books on my bookshelf come from one of those two houses. And looking back at the list, I'm surprised not to see Bloomsbury, which is another of my top favorite houses.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 07:26:04 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »
That's a tough choice many people here would love to have.

Once you've gotten all the information and Stacer's feedback, you might want to pray about it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2006, 09:05:50 PM »
Or use the Magic 8-ball, that's what I do.

Goradel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2006, 01:53:31 AM »
As EUOL's old EQP I would counsel him to pray as well.  Then he should go to lunch with me. (aka Flash, Rich, Gordo, and other names)
That's a tough choice many people here would love to have.

Once you've gotten all the information and Stacer's feedback, you might want to pray about it.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:58:12 AM by rgordoflash »
I'm famous

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »
You should seek the ninja's wisdom.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »
Isn't there a table for this kind of decision in D&D 3.6?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »
Forget D&D. Go with the ouija board!

Well, to be serious, prayer would be the way to go once you've taken into account the great advice from Stacer. (I, too, would say that, if Levine is in the mix, he trumps the other considerations.) Nice going, EUOL! It's very exciting to see this play out.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT